carat
color
clarity

Hey, Jordy! Congrats on the new job!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy,

You've been singled out before on PS and seem to just roll with it, so I'm hoping you don't mind me starting this thread.

A while back you mentioned that you had applied for a new job. I've been wondering how that went. Today, I read that you received a call and got the job!

So it was either hijack that other thread or start a new one so that I could say congratulations!

I'm very happy for you and wish you lots of success in this wonderful new opportunity! I'm sure you'll do great!

Congrats! :appl: :appl: :appl:

:wavey:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh congrats Jordy!!!

So what's the new job, have you accepted? I missed your search entirely!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations :clap: :appl: :clap: :appl:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh DF you shouldn't have, thank you so much!! I have been singled out before for threads under slightly more dubious circumstances *cough cough Kenny* so I don't mind at all! :bigsmile:

Thanks Yssie!! I had made mention of it previously but hadn't made a thread about it or anything like that, as of May 9th I begin work as a junior surveyor and geotech. I will basically be taking readings of how the land slope changes and reports on the type of soil for builders to do their engineering and quotes. I know my wife is excited to see me in tradesman clothes instead of my usual black shirts :lol:

And thanks Pinto Bean!! :wavey:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy, I also saw your post in missy's thread and was going to comment but didn't want to threadjack so I'm glad december fire started this thread - I was thrilled to hear about your new job and I am so excited for you! My kids are around your age and I know how hard it is to find a good opportunity and I am really happy this worked out for you. Congratulations! :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1461085914|4021215 said:
Oh DF you shouldn't have, thank you so much!! I have been singled out before for threads under slightly more dubious circumstances *cough cough Kenny* so I don't mind at all! :bigsmile:

Thanks Yssie!! I had made mention of it previously but hadn't made a thread about it or anything like that, as of May 9th I begin work as a junior surveyor and geotech. I will basically be taking readings of how the land slope changes and reports on the type of soil for builders to do their engineering and quotes. I know my wife is excited to see me in tradesman clothes instead of my usual black shirts :lol:

And thanks Pinto Bean!! :wavey:
Congrats Jordy !.. :appl: that is a good field to be in now.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Jordy. Since I am sure that your job involves some math, I am sure that I couldn't do it. On the other hand, I took an interest in geology when I was in college, so some of your job might appeal to me. ;))

Report back, please. Just keep the numbers out of your descriptions of what you did on any given day.

Deb :wavey:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Jordy, congratulations on your new job! :clap: It sounds interesting and challenging. So happy for you! :appl: :appl: :appl:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks junebug!! I'm really excited to get into a career that doesn't involve years and years of training as an apprentice, getting an 18 year old's pay rate at the age of 28 is a bit rough!

Thanks DF and you're not wrong about it being a good field to be in, here in Australia the building industry is booming and I know the company I am starting with has more work than they can really handle at the moment.

Thanks Deb! I'm not entirely sure about the whole numbers side of it as it's all digital nowadays and the readings aren't recorded but sent straight back to the office via satellite. The geotech side is something that may be PS related though, I'm hoping one day I do a core sample and just happen to dig up a bunch of high quality sapphires or something like that :naughty:

Thanks RockinRuby! :wavey:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the new job! :dance:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Jordy! Woohoo! Congratulations on your new job! So happy for you!
You are such a positive person with good energy and I really enjoy your posts and am so pleased good things are happening in your life all due to you and your hard work and positive energy. :appl: :appl: :appl:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good going, Jordy!! :appl: :wavey: :appl:

Enjoy your success! Way to go!! =)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Well done!! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your new gig! I hope you enjoy it!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Arcadian, Missy, Azstonie, Sharon and Lil Misfit!!

We've gotta go clothes shopping this weekend to get me khaki pants, work boots and a few other things. I get supplied with a company fluoro shirt and jumper. Not exactly keen on the shirts as I've always worn black t shirts but pretty excited about getting everything else ready!!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy,

I know you made the comment about the shirt lightly, and it isn't really a big deal to you but thought I'd mention the following.

That shirt represents a wonderful new direction for you and your wife. You should look forward to wearing that shirt every day! It is a physical representation of your maturity, sense of responsibility and desire to provide for your family.

Everyone can wear a black t-shirt but not everyone took your initiative to seek out opportunities for themselves and their family.

If that doesn't make you appreciate the shirt more, then I'm sure Kenny would be happy to see photos of you in the new shirt and offer you his opinion on how you look. :lol:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woo Hoo congrats Jordy! :wavey: :appl:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh I am well aware of that DF, I know this is the start of a bright future for me and as I mentioned in the spring/summer thread it will provide us with the opportunity to have children in the near future if things go well and I become a senior, fully-fledged staff member. I'm pouting about it as a joke more than anything but the truth is the only time I don't wear a black shirt is when I am out in the sun, I'll wear white or light blue. The fluoro shirt is standard in the Australian building industry for safety reasons, I was thinking about taking a pic of myself all geared up once I have the uniform together so I may come and drop it in here for the amusement of everyone...and Kenny :lol:
I know my father is really happy as he has worked in trades his whole life and the fluoro shirt was what he wore for a long time until he got off the tools. He is proud of the fact that I was running bars and restaurants at a very young age but I think he may have always been slightly disappointed that I didn't follow in his footsteps and learn a trade. He's already talking about getting the company I work for to do some of his engineering work for him.

Thanks CJ2008! :wavey:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new job, Jordy! Best wishes for great success in your new career.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thought I might just drop this here; while the colour coordinating could use some work, this is my new uniform.

20160503_180357.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Damn, pic came out sideways. My apologies to everyone's necks! :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool is that, congrats!!!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Jordy! :appl:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool!

Have you started yet? Are you liking it?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks arkieb and lovinggems! :wavey:

CJ I finish up at my old job on friday and start the new one on Monday. Truth be told I'm a little anxious about it as it's a big change for me :errrr:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't remember if you ever said why it's a big change for you - but you're allowed to feel anxious! Starting a new job is exciting and nerve wracking at the same time especially if it's a big change.

I'm sure once you're there a couple of days and you adjust you'll deal with whatever comes up.

Does it help knowing you look adorable? ::)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's a big change for me as it's a field I've never worked in before, I've done trade type work before with my father but not like this. It's a junior position and I don't need experience and if all goes well it's a very sweet job. Good salary, company pickup truck all expenses paid, paid the moment I walk out the door at home until the moment I get back with the ability to do as much overtime as I want. I guess what I am anxious about is it all working out for me because if it does then my wife and I are going to start thinking about having our first child.
A couple things that have me at ease is my direct boss is one of my fishing students and the person who will be my trainer is their senior surveyor and my regular fishing partner (he helped get me the job to start with). So I am in good hands by the looks of it

And thank you hehe I think that I look like an old man in that pic, I think the beard and hair may need a trim :lol:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You look great Jordy! It's understandable you're feeling a little nervous but you're going to do fine! Sending lots of good thoughts for a great start on Monday :appl:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jordy,

That shirt looks great! Nice to see that it was designed with a bit of style in mind. When you said you'd be wearing an orange shirt, I pictured a shapeless, glow-in-the-dark orange that would require sunglasses when viewing! :lol:

You look sharp!

I have no doubt you'll do great in the new job! You seem like a hard-working, responsible, conscientious and considerate person.

Have fun on Monday!

:wavey:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1462390420|4027258 said:
It's a big change for me as it's a field I've never worked in before, I've done trade type work before with my father but not like this. It's a junior position and I don't need experience and if all goes well it's a very sweet job. Good salary, company pickup truck all expenses paid, paid the moment I walk out the door at home until the moment I get back with the ability to do as much overtime as I want. I guess what I am anxious about is it all working out for me because if it does then my wife and I are going to start thinking about having our first child.
A couple things that have me at ease is my direct boss is one of my fishing students and the person who will be my trainer is their senior surveyor and my regular fishing partner (he helped get me the job to start with). So I am in good hands by the looks of it

And thank you hehe I think that I look like an old man in that pic, I think the beard and hair may need a trim :lol:

Well - I hope it all goes well it sounds like an awesome job.

Are they hiring? :lol:

I see about the anxiety. Makes sense. Exciting but also scary life stuff. ::) We'll be here for when that time comes too. ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results