carat
color
clarity

Hey, Jordy! Congrats on the new job!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1462412745|4027425 said:
You look great Jordy! It's understandable you're feeling a little nervous but you're going to do fine! Sending lots of good thoughts for a great start on Monday :appl:

I agree Jordy. It is totally normal to be nervous and anxious when beginning a new challenge and chapter.
Wishing you lots and lots of good luck this Monday!!!
PSers are sending you buckets of good luck work dust and lots of good thoughts. And virtual (((HUGS))).
And you do look very handsome in your new uniform. :halo:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks junebug!!

Haha thanks and not quite that bright DF but I almost feel like that when wearing it :lol:

CJ, they're actually hiring in nearly every department at the moment to be honest! :-o

And thanks Missy, I am over the nerves a bit now that I have officially finished my last shift. I've got my mum and grandmother coming to see me tomorrow so that's always a good thing to keep me relaxed before I start on Monday!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Have a wonderful weekend Jordy and happy Mother's Day to all the mothers in your life. And thinking of you and sending more good thoughts for Monday! :appl:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well first day was...uneventful :lol:

Was asked to come to the office to get everything sorted out so spent most of the day there filling out paperwork and seeing the drafting side of the work that I will be submitting. At the end of the day I was handed company shirts and given instructions for my first job for tomorrow morning, so happy that I even took an all too rare selfie in my uniform!

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be up to my arms in mud :lol:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Day 1, done! :appl:

Glad you were happy with how it went, and wishing you some mud for tomorrow! :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats for getting that first day over with Jordy! Now where's that selfie you took? Cmon, don't be shy! :naughty: :appl:

Btw, I hear mud is pretty soothing for the skin. Who knew you could be paid while getting a beneficial mud bath? :bigsmile:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1462312018|4026751 said:
Thought I might just drop this here; while the colour coordinating could use some work, this is my new uniform.

Woof woof!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haha here it is Missy, I never take them so it was kind of an awkward affair!
And the mud is offset by the diesel, rocks, broken up concrete bits and other stuff on worksites :lol:

Getting ready this morning to go dig some holes!! (Edit: freakin' sideways again, sorry guys)

20160509_150047.jpg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well I've just found another perk of the new job, the company that puts some aftermarket tools on the trucks is located 1000km away in Sydney, about 15 minutes from my father's house.

This time yesterday I was home in Melbourne getting ready for work, this morning the company was called and told a brand new truck is ready to be picked up. Because my dad lives so close they flew me up to pick it up and drive it back tomorrow. Dad got a nice surprise when I rang him asking if he could put up with me for a night :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! That is a good perk getting to visit your dad and thank you for the photo. You look very sharp in your work uniform! Glad it is going well for you Jordy. :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that's great Jordy! So glad things are going well, love the pic!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Missy and junebug!!

Just got home after the 600 mile drive, so exhausted but driving a brand new truck was pretty awesome even though it has about a tonne of drilling rig and other stuff on the back (handy for drilling holes for gemstone mining maybe? :naughty: ). We did have a pretty major issue when we learned of a build problem that meant we couldn't put more diesel in the tanks on both the new trucks. Boss was concerned that we may get stranded 250 miles from home however I figured out a quick solution that got us fueled up and back on the road (albeit me showered in diesel).

The truck didn't even have 300 miles on the clock when I jumped back in and made inside the cab stink like diesel :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jordy!

That's great that you were able to see your Dad and got to drive a brand new truck! All while being paid! :dance:

Big congratulations on coming up with a solution and being able to get the truck back on the road! You're already proving that you're an asset to the company!

Give yourself a big pat on the back! :appl:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oooh glad you are liking the new job!

I used to do the lab analysis for a geotechnical engineering firm. One of my favorite jobs. Went out with the drill crew a few times to collect cores. Was such a positive atmosphere.

Goodluck settling in!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks RR!! I'm not the most mechanically inclined person ever (using my father as the yardstick here) but it seems that I'm not the most mechanically illiterate either which is good!!

Chemgirl the company I'm with does all the lab work as well, they actually offer engineering solutions from A-Z in the building process. I just go dig holes and do the survey of the land rise/fall!!
A lot of the geotechnician guys have found out I like gemstones are asking where to take their drill and auger rigs to go fossicking :lol:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not to keep flogging this thread but I had a funny thing happen today. We arrived at a site and I noticed that all the pits that will supply power to houses had been opened and cables were exposed, so I had to ring the office I used to work in to let them know that it looked like someone had stolen the copper cabling in a new development area.

They sure got a shock when I called! :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, the rising price of copper has lead to a rising number of thefts.

When I bought my first home, I used to visit the site to watch the progress as the home was being built. At one point, the builder hired security to keep an eye on things after-hours. Apparently, someone was caught stealing bricks from the site. A pilot. Loading up his trunk with stolen bricks. I couldn't believe that someone with a good career would risk it so that they wouldn't have to purchase some bricks. :roll:

Good for you for alerting your former company.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately it's something that happens a lot with building sites DF, people want the materials they have but aren't willing to pay for it so just go when everyone has left the area and raid it for what they want. The main issue I saw was potentially 700 volts of exposed wires.

My friend who got me the job had one of his total stations stolen as he was using it!! It's a fancy, $50k bit of equipment that does land surveys automatically while you carry around a special electronic stick that helps it gauge distance and levels. They have up to half a mile of range and while he was doing a new development he was pressing the button on the stick but nothing was happening. He looked over at the station and saw someone putting it into their car, he was 500 yards away so there was virtually nothing he could do.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
jordyonbass|1463556454|4033144 said:
Not to keep flogging this thread but I had a funny thing happen today. We arrived at a site and I noticed that all the pits that will supply power to houses had been opened and cables were exposed, so I had to ring the office I used to work in to let them know that it looked like someone had stolen the copper cabling in a new development area.

They sure got a shock when I called! :lol:

That's crazy. We had the copper stollen from our rooftop solar array last winter. One morning it wasn't working and management thought it was just some snow on the panels. Turns out it was live, but not grounded anymore. Luckily nobody was hurt, but seriously risky.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well unfortunately it wasn't to last, today I got called into the office and handed a termination letter. It started off well but things started to go south after a couple months as I wasn't being trained but was running errands while everyone else who was new was getting trained. Long story short, they dismissed me a few hours ago under very dubious circumstances.

Oh well, time to look for something else now I suppose :(sad

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs Jordy, I am really sorry!!! You should think about consulting a workplace lawyer, to make sure you don't have a case for wrongful termination and to check that you receive everything you are entitled to. This might be worth reading especially the section that includes not having served a minimum employment period, and particularly the section why you were dismissed;

http://www.workplace-lawyers.com.au/employees/termination/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, Jordy, I am so sorry! I know you have great things in your future and this is but a temporary setback so don't let it get you down. This job wasn't meant to be and you will find one more suited to you for a brighter bigger future...(((HUGS))). Sending good thoughts your way.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear this!

Keep your chin up and either fight it or move on and don't dwell on this.
Best of luck to you!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks guys, I am feeling a bit down but will be picking myself back up again soon. Just getting over the initial disappointment of it and then will be doing something about getting money in ASAP since xmas is only just around the corner.

Arkieb, I am going to be on the phone with a Fair Work Australia consultant a little later today as I actually have a couple of claims that I will need to be making.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results