shape
carat
color
clarity

Hey, I need some expert advice- purchase advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jda

Rough_Rock
I know squat about diamonds, and am going to get a engagement ring. I have found one that is 1.52 ct and a H in color and has 3 small feathers (SI3?) No gia ratings though. Very nice stone. It will be $5k out the door for everthing. set in platinum.

So, what you guys think should i go for it?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If the grading is believed, the price is potentially fair. You really don't have enough data to know how the stone ought to be priced.

Without a grading report from a well respected, independent lab, it is very likely that the H is not exactly H...Might be I,J....

Same thing with a stone represented without a document graded as SI3 clarity. It is most surely an I1, possibly worse, unless you are working with a rare prince who never ever tells little tiny tales about the quality of his diamonds.

The missing measurements are also an important element in getting me to guess about the potential good looks of the diamond. Without measurements, I would be suspicious enough to suggest you need quite a bit more information BEFORE you make the purchase.

A lot of this is really up to you. Not everyone really wants a deep involvement with their diamond purchase. Some guys and gals don't really care a whole lot about diamonds. They just want a decent looking diamond that fits their budget. Unfortunately, being impulsive or unprepared for buying a diamond may have repercussions a few days or monthys from now when a friend spends a similar amount and gets a much nicer looking diamond for his honey.

Then you will find out from your future partner that you should have been a bit more astute. What the heck, you can always buy her another big rock in a few years. :) :)

Do your homework properly and you will save money and make a much better purchase.

Jda

Rough_Rock
Big thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the certified part. I guess, now i know. I think it is very clean, but then again, If i knew what i was looking at i wouldnt need your help:bigsmile:

So, thanks again.

and as far as not being certified, is that something i should request upfront?

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
yes, even if you were buying the stone from your brother.

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
My recommendation for someone who does not know what they are doing is limit your search for AGS or GIA cert only because they can be trusted nearly all the time. If you know what you are doing, you can find some bargains in EGL or IGI stones. But they are sometimes misgraded. Your budget of $5,000 is a good one, and there are plenty of AGS/GIA stones to select from in that range. However, none of the 1.5 carat stones I see online that have excellent or very good cuts and are I/SI2 or better (the lowest I would ever even remotely consider going) are above 1.18 carats. If I were you I would get the best 1.0 to 1.1 carat I could find for $5,000, which is an I/VS2/1.1 carat. I see 4 online to choose from. Here is one http://www.niceice.com/certcopies/1102ivs2_ags3182608/index.htm

A 1.52 carat J/VS2 with an excellent cut is $8300 http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1057/v.cgi?stock=625802&_s=1057&_p=abaz83&_c=&_fs=2&prestock=

Jda

Rough_Rock
WOW, thanks for all the info. & the links tooo! You guys are great.:bigsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results