shape
carat
color
clarity

here we go

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

readyandwilling

Rough_Rock
This board is a tremendous resource. Just want to express my thanks to all of you who are so generous with your time and knowledge.

That said
21.gif
. I checked out a few nice looking diamonds today. One was 1.52 carats SI2, H color and faint florescence. Another was 1.42 carats , SI1, G color and strong Fl. One more was 1.21 carats, VS2, F color, no Fl. All are GIA certified. None of the inclusions were visible to the naked eye- just white feathers and hair type white lines (through 10x loop).

They all had good proportions- btwn 58.7 - 62.3 depth and btwen 55 and 59 table. Remembering the crown and pavillion angles was just too much to think about at the time- I was a bit anxious. I want the one with the most sparkle. Any ideas?

Also, the price of each of the stones were similar and really good in comparison to what I saw on the price guide found on this site- is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks!

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
get a sarin run and take those number to the HCA, also ask them to send you photos of the actual stones if possible......maybe a brillance scope is possible depending who you are going with?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ready...call up the jeweler and ask for the crown and pav angles on all the stones....since you don't recall them! They are pretty important and may end up helping you in your final decision...for example if stone A looked great to your eye, better than the others, there may be a reason for that and the crown and pav angles will help you figure it out.

when you get them, run them all through the HCA. Also jot down your initial impressions on which ring spoke to you the most since you saw them all in person. Personally I would go for the biggest IF cuts were all comparable, the H SI2 since you said its eye clean, but the cut could be a real differentiator...depends on how well it is cut which will really determine that sparkle you want.

Let us know when you have more info!
1.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ready,

You've received some terrific advice so far. Was there one stone in particular that you liked more than the others? My preference, on paper, would be for the G SI1 or the F VS2, simply because I prefer less colour. I also like the flourescence in the G.

There's a fairly substantial leap in size from the F to the H, so your choice could also hinge on the size you have in mind.

readyandwilling

Rough_Rock
I didn't see the crown/pav angles on the GIA. Are they typically there? If not, should the dealer know these angles anyway?
How much is a Sarin and what is the procedure?
Thanks again!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, the crown and pav angles will not be on the GIA Report. Call your jeweler and ask for a Sarin report. This gets you the crucial angles and also measures other things like table, depth, culet and just basically confirms what the GIA report says on the #'s. Your jeweler should be able to help you, if they don't have a machine, they may know someone who does.

I personally wouldn't buy a stone without a Sarin report to back up the info AND provide the crucial angles, unless it was a AGS certed stone which would give me the angles, and then I would have it independently appraised to confirm. My two cents...if this jeweler can't get you a Sarin on any of the stones, I wouldn't buy--but that's just me. To go just off naked eye in my opinion isn't realistic if you want that well cut stone that WILL sparkle like the dickens....and that is something you mentioned you wanted. That has to do mostly with cut.

Buy smart and shop informed. If in the end you decide to go with this jeweler, at least know that there were other options and that you feel 100% comfortable with not knowing more. Otherwise you will second guess yourself later. Oh and take the stones outside into natural light and see which one looks the best. You don't spend your life in jeweler lighting...so be sure you know what that stone will look like in real life.

Good luck!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/13/2003 6:38:29 PM readyandwilling wrote:

...just white feathers and hair type white lines (through 10x loop).
----------------

'Hairlines' as in laser drilling? I am by no means an expert, but I just don't remember to have seen too many inclusions in diamonds which I (!) would describe like this. No harm intended here: there is no way I could tell anything more based on these two words. The way to go for now would be to get an idea about how laser drilling looks like and see whether what you have seen looks like it: the sight is unmistakable. The truth is that I have no idea what you mean by 'hairline' (to me this is something thin and straight).

IGOG has some pics like this on his site, and here is a very stryking one WWW I have nothing really against them, but the price should be seriously lower for these pierced goods. By definition, the drilling looks like white threads (sometimes filled with something to hide them better so they look something like ... clear noodles?) starting always on the surface of the stone and going down at any angle (not just like those three in the picture) and, usually, a couple of mm length. I hope you have not seen any of those yet and your stones are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results