shape
carat
color
clarity

Here we go again...! Paraiba Tourmaline

tourm221

Rough_Rock
My wife is about to finish a PhD program, and I want to buy her something to commemorate it. I'm in the market for a paraiba tourmaline cabochon. However, she was showing me things sh liked and we talked about it, she loves the glow that comes from a translucent, rather than transparent stone (highly included, I guess). Color is most important over anything, she likes the aqua blue-green over something that is windex blue or emerald green. Sky's the limit on this for right now, so first I want to get the stone then design a setting with her. My only stipulation is that it is reasonably sized, as in no greater than about 15-20mm long and 10-15mm wide. I'm not sure what that translates into in terms of carat weight. Ovals are preferable over rounds and trillians, but I'll look at anything.

Any suggestions on where to look? I've already combed through all the links on the reputable sellers post. Thanks all!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourm221|1443964587|3934718 said:
My wife is about to finish a PhD program, and I want to buy her something to commemorate it. I'm in the market for a paraiba tourmaline cabochon. However, she was showing me things sh liked and we talked about it, she loves the glow that comes from a translucent, rather than transparent stone (highly included, I guess). Color is most important over anything, she likes the aqua blue-green over something that is windex blue or emerald green. Sky's the limit on this for right now, so first I want to get the stone then design a setting with her. My only stipulation is that it is reasonably sized, as in no greater than about 15-20mm long and 10-15mm wide. I'm not sure what that translates into in terms of carat weight. Ovals are preferable over rounds and trillians, but I'll look at anything.

Any suggestions on where to look? I've already combed through all the links on the reputable sellers post. Thanks all!

What is your budget?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget indeed and do you have inspiration pics of stones she likes.
I assume you have looked on the Paraiba International site? Adam has several cabs (though much less than he used to have). For example this one... It does not look very appealing in the vendor pic but it looks great and glowy in the video. If you are interested, ask Adam to snap some iPhone pics with the stone on his hand. I have a cab from him that did not look super stunning in the vendor pic, but it did in the video and iPhone pics. In real life it looks amazing!!!

_675.png

_451.jpeg

_676.png

_677.png

tourm221

Rough_Rock
Budget is probably about $5k for the stone itself, but I'd go up to $10k for the perfect cab. I did see that marquise, but she's not crazy about the shape. Does Adam source other stones?

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Love that you are doing this! My husband actually got me an item of jewelry for putting up with him/putting him through his phd. Hah!

Congratulations to her on such a big achievement!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, this is such a wonderful idea for your wife! If only my hubby had done this for me when I finished mine last year!! Maybe I'll point him in the direction of this thread as a *subtle* hint. :tongue:

I agree that paraiba international is a good place to start, I'm not really sure about other reputable sources, but if they don't have exactly what you're looking for you could always email and ask them to keep an eye out.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
New stones come in regularly so you indeed may ask Adam to contact you when he sources new stones.

Jeweller Leon Mege works a lot with Paraiba tourmalines. Probably higher priced compared to Paraiba International though and he would have to make the setting, which starts around 3500 USD for a solitaire.

Buying a Paraiba will not be easy since they are rare so you have to be very patient or be willing to make compromises.

S

SparkliesLuver

What a thoughtful and meaningful gift. :D

I second the other comments to connect with Adam. He'll keep an eye out, and he's probably your best bet. Just be patient, if you can, and something will turn up. You do have to be quick to act since they tend to move quickly (if they even get listed)! I did know of a very large trillion but I recently circled back with that vendor and it sold.

I'll keep an eye out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results