shape
carat
color
clarity

Here She is

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

psuwtb

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Well I have just embarked on my most expensive purchase of my life (thus far), and would appreciate some assistance to ease my conscience. I would like this diamond to make me, and my wife-to-be happy forever. I have chosen to go through a local jeweler who is in a strip mall. They only have four or five employees and one is a certified gemologist and appraiser (she happens to be the mother of a co-worker). Long story short, I fully trust this store and the ring I am going to get but would like to have this backed up by your comments and suggestions.

Here are the two diamonds that I am considering:

Diamond #1:
.77 CT / G / SI1
Depth: 59.1% / Table: 59.1% / Crown: 32.9º / Pavilion: 40.4º / Medium Girdle
Total Visual Performance 1.4 - Excellent - within TIC range
All factors from the Holloway Cut Adviser are Excellent except Light Return, which is Very Good
GIA Certification
$3499.00

Diamond #2:
.78 CT / G / SI1
Depth: 60.3% / Table: 58.0% / Crown: 32.9º / Pavilion: 41.0º / Medium Girdle
Total Visual Performance 0.8 - Excellent - within TIC range
All factors from the Holloway Cut Adviser are Excellent
No Certification
$3495.00

Both of these definitely are great diamonds judging by the Holloway Cut Advisor (which I like since I am engineering oriented); however, Diamond #2 has 75% better visual performance. Other than these factors, the diamonds are basically identical (size, color, cut, clarity). What course of action would you recommend? Should I have them get Diamond #2 certified and then re-run the test based on what comes back? They originally said that a GIA certification would cost $150. Should I say I would take the diamond for $3600 if the diamond comes back with the same specs or better?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much.

Bill

shurikt

Rough_Rock

----------------
On 3/27/2003 5:47:41 PM psuwtb wrote:
Here are the two diamonds that I am considering:

----------------
Hey Bill,

From what you've told us, they sound identical. Maybe it's time for the blind taste test? Since you have the benefit of seeing the stones in person, look at them both side by side and pick the one you like best.

If you pick the uncerted one, take it to a good independent appraiser and have it appraised. If you're really worried, make the purchase contingent on having the appraiser confirm the stone's details.

As far as paying a lab to certify it, that's your own personal choice. Maybe someone else can chime in with a good reason to have it certed, but I can't think of one.

Sounds like a fun decision to make, though. Good luck!

psuwtb

Rough_Rock
Shurikt--

Thanks for some more advice (or at least some to say what I am getting is good). Guess I was just looking for an expert opinion as to how much better a 0.8 compared to a 1.4 would be on the Holloway scale. I know they are both in the excellent/very good range, but to me this is a big difference (one is almost twice the other).

Any other comments would be appreciated!

Thanks guys/gals!

Bill
wink2.gif

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
hi,
the mall store and info sure sounds pretty...however...i just checked pricescope for a diamond with basically all the same stats you've wrote about (gia cert included) a few pages came up..not one of the diamonds were over $3000.00!!! you could save yourself a few bucks and purchase an even larger stone or the same size up a clarity grade or two by purchasing through the internet.
internet sites may not be as pretty as a mall store...but...you definetly get more for your hard earned money!!
good luck to you
2.gif

dbretton

Rough_Rock
Thanks for some more advice (or at least some to say what I am getting is good).  Guess I was just looking for an expert opinion as to how much better a 0.8 compared to a 1.4 would be on the Holloway scale.  I know they are both in the excellent/very good range, but to me this is a big difference (one is almost twice the other).

In my opinion (and limited experience), the HCA cannot distinguish a 1.4 from a 0.8 diamond in terms of scoring the cut.
A 1.4 ~ 0.8 => 0. I posted something to this effect elsewhere: http://diamondchitchat.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=140&highlight=dbretton

Pick the diamond that looks better. Ask the jeweler if you can look at them outside, in natural light.

-D

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results