clarity

Here is an important question... need your opinion please

stci

Ideal_Rock
Hello all!

I have a beautiful OEC 1.08 ct.

I'm a big size 9+

My dream is to have (one day) a beautiful 3 ct OEC

I don't have money to upgrade to this 3 ct for sure!

How many years do you think it could take to achieve my goal if I buy and resells an upgrade when I find them without invest 1 dollars (other than my profits)? LOL LOL

I know it's crazy but... it's possible no?

Example:

Sell my 1.08 with a profit of $300.

Buy a 1.20

Sell the 1.20 with a profit of $300.

So on....

31.gif
11.gif
9.gif
3.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe, a 3ct OEC would be AWESOME!!

It might take awhile, I''ve had some little success reselling jewelery, but typically it''s at cost if not slightly below. I hear it''s quite tricky to sell diamonds (or gems) for profit unless you originally bought it at a bargain to begin with.

You might get better luck posting on Rocky talky as I think they have a better handle on diamond buy-sell things :)

Buuuut if you ever want to sell your 1ct OEC, I''ll keep an eye out for it!

stci

Ideal_Rock
I take note Sweety!

Do you think $300 of profit on each transaction is unrealistic? Too much according to you?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I dunno stci...this idea can work with PS vendors and their solid upgrade / trade in policies for modern diamonds..
but with vintage diamonds, you can never really know what you are going to get..

Plus, once you sell - the next size up you are looking for may be very hard to find, kwim?
And I'm guessing you are thinking to sell on ebay? Those fees could add up.. This is all without considering the volatility of the market / economy at large...what if the GFC resurfaces it's ugly head and people stop buying luxury goods again...?

Sorry, I don't want to rain on your idea, but I'm not sure it's feasible - without a whole lot of patience and even more luck
7.gif

Is it not possible for you to squirrel away some savings instead?
Trust me, I'm sure many of us can relate to your desire for a larger OEC, I sure can!!

resetqueen

Rough_Rock
I agree with arjunajane, this idea does not seem feasible, nor in my opinion makes much sense at all.

Save your pennies dear, you''ll have a better chance at getting this 3ct ring!!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree it''s probably a better idea to just save your money towards what you want.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Typically, diamonds resell for less than what you paid, not more. Unless you are really lucky.

I''d put money away each month until I had enough to upgrade. Perhaps you can work out a trade in with a vendor on your 1 ct plus some money?

stci

Ideal_Rock
I think save money is the best way and stop to dream to the big 3 ct cause I have chance to be dead before I achieve my goal! LOL LOL
9.gif

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Nonsense to the naysayers. I bought a 1 ct. OMC on Ebay a year ago for $1200. It was in a pretty decent ring. Now grant you I know that is crazy cheap.

Sold it for $3950 a few months later.

Currently have ear studs for sale that I have $1500 in for sale at $2800 but would take less

You can definitely do it. It takes a fair amount of work and ebay trolling as well as hitting estate sales and going out of business sales, etc. but it can definitely be done. Make it a part time job or hobby. Pays better than most jobs! It's like anything else or the guy who traded the paper clip for a house - do you want it badly enough to put the work in? I sure do.

I've upgraded through trading/reselling to the ring in my avatar (JBEG 3 stone - 3.29 ct TW) and also have a 3 ct. OEC on the way.

I can afford to just buy the stuff but there's a special thrill in getting it this way IMO.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 9:03:36 AM
Author: tradergirl
Nonsense to the naysayers. I bought a 1 ct. OMC on Ebay a year ago for $1200. It was in a pretty decent ring. Now grant you I know that is crazy cheap.

Sold it for $3950 a few months later.

Currently have ear studs for sale that I have $1500 in for sale at $2800 but would take less

You can definitely do it. It takes a fair amount of work and ebay trolling as well as hitting estate sales and going out of business sales, etc. but it can definitely be done. Make it a part time job or hobby. Pays better than most jobs! It''s like anything else or the guy who traded the paper clip for a house - do you want it badly enough to put the work in? I sure do.

I''ve upgraded through trading/reselling to the ring in my avatar (JBEG 3 stone - 3.29 ct TW) and also have a 3 ct. OEC on the way.

I can afford to just buy the stuff but there''s a special thrill in getting it this way IMO.

TG,
I do not want to guess at stci''s finances, but her concept does differ from what you are doing (in terms of original investments and also corresponding profit margins) - after all, like you say you could afford to just go buy that 3ct OEC if you wished, whereas stci has mentioned she can not right now..

I never said it could not be done - just that it would take a lot of time, dedication, work and so on (as you also mentioned).

I hear what you are saying, and clearly you have had some good fortune with ebay / estate sales - but from my interpretation, stci''s circumstance is a lil different to your hobby...
Stci, please feel free to correct me if I''m being presumptuous!

I am by no means an ebay naysayer - in fact, I think we have had this conversation before
2.gif

I recently obtained a 1.55ct wonderful OEC for 3k - once I have sold the gold in the heavy mens'' ring and either re-sold or re-used the side diamonds (1.25cts), the centre diamond would have cost me less than 2.5k..
Now, if I saw a 2.5ct lovely OEC on ebay tomorrow for a great price, and thought I could sell my 1.55ct for a decent profit, I would be right there with you!

If stci feels like she has the spare time and $$, knowledge, eye, and so on to do what you have been doing on ebay and work up to her 3ct dream, than I wish her nothing but the best.
5.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results