shape
carat
color
clarity

Henry has a tumor. :/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, wishing Henry and his surgeon much good luck today on the surgery and sending healing vibes Henry's way for a successful outcome. I hope today goes very well for all of you! (((HUGS))).

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending dust for Henry today! I hope it is the best possible outcome, and that Henry recovers well.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just got the call, the tumor had doubled in size, and was on a stalk that basically just burrowed into his head. They had to put him to sleep. ;( I am getting ready to make the half hour drive to get him, son couldn't imagine driving home with his dead buddy in the seat next to him.

I know there is a reason for everything and I pray all of us whose lives Henry touched come to understand why this happened.

Thank you ALL again for all your advice and well wishes, they really did mean so much.

R.I.P. sweet boy.

img_12515.jpg

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, how horrible! So sorry for your loss, and for your son losing his companion. ;(

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Ellen! I am so sorry for your sons loss. Sending you both hugs.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would he like a stone paw print? They take a print and the laser cut a rock so you can keep it. The animal crematorium here sends prints to a place. I'm sure you would have similar if he wanted. (even if you don't cremate)

I know he is hurting now. Just tossing out while it is still an option. The ones we got cost $40 each and come with name and paw print.

0403162236a.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen: I'm so sorry! Hugs to you and your son. I can't even imagine how hard this is--sending healing *dust* to both of you during this time. And I agree with TooPatient about something like the paw print--even if it seems to depressing to do now, it is something that he (and you) might appreciate and treasure later.

HUGS TO YOU AND YOUR SON! :cry:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear about Henry :blackeye: The decision to put an animal down is never easy, even when we know it is probably what is best for them.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I want to cry. My heart goes out to your family--healing vibes across the miles. Henry was a darling.

kind regards--Sharon

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry for your loss!!! ;(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Ellen, honey, I am so sorry. :cry:
Henry was a sweet sweet kitty. I can only imagine how awful you and your son are feeling and how great a loss this is. :cry:

I hope your son and you can find peace knowing you both did every single thing you could to save Henry and give him the best possible life. Henry knows he was loved and even though he was here such a short time he felt safe and loved while he was here on earth.

Sending you love and hugs and keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.
Henry is at Rainbow Bridge now playing with all our beloved fur babies who are no longer with us and he is at peace. (((HUGS))).

rainbow-bridge-poem.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, no, Ellen :((

Bye Henry. We all loved you and will miss you. :((

Sending your son hugs too. :blackeye:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Ellen ,
I am so very sorry. Henry was the best. You and your son will miss him a ton. Knowing you did all that you could for him should give you a bit of comfort. I know this loss is huge.

Big big hugs...

xoxo

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so so sorry Ellen. I feel terrible. I know how much Henry was loved by both you and your dear son. I wish there was something I could do or say to make you feel better. Hugs, hugs, hugs

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I am so sorry too. There is almost nothing harder than losing a beloved fur baby. Henry was special and loved, even by those of us who knew him remotely. I hope you both find comfort in knowing what a good life he had with you and that you did everything you could to save him. Hugs to you both.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm very sorry to hear your sad news. My condolences to you, Ellen, and your son, on the loss of your little friend. That is just heartbreaking. Our pets are part of our family, we're attached to them, we love them and they leave a void in our lives when they're gone. Only time can help ease the pain that we feel when they die.

I also lost a cat to an ear tumor several years ago. He had to be put down, as the tumor was just too big to be removed surgically. I didn't know about laser surgery and was sincerely hoping it would be a successful option for Henry. Henry looked like such a darling cat. I hope you and your son can be consoled knowing that you gave him a good life and did what was best for him.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Condolences to you and your family Ellen. What a heartbreaking ordeal for all involved. I hope your son isn't so hurt by this experience that he becomes afraid to give his heart to another animal when the time is right. Hugs to all.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, I am so sorry and I hope that you and your son will hold on to all the happy and sweet experiences you had with Henry. Dust to you and your son. You are not alone.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ellen, I am so sorry about Henry. My heart goes out to you and your son. All fur babies are special but once in a while there is one that burrows into our hearts just a little bit deeper. I can tell Henry was like that for you and your son. Hugs across the miles to both of you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, I am so sorry for both you and your son, Henry looked like such a sweet cat/kitten.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for your condolences and hugs, and for your sweet poem Missy. I really need and appreciate all.

I didn't ask the vets office but I wonder if this this tumor wasn't with Henry from the very beginning. Of course we will never know. They were going to laser it, but because of the depth of it in the canal, and then since it had grown so much just in the 2 weeks since he had last seen the vet, they had to (knife) cut him open to get at the mass first.

*WARNING - GRAPHIC DETAIL*

From the way they described it, they lasered the mass loose and started pulling it out, but like I said earlier, it was connected to a stalk. So they kept pulling and the stalk just kept coming out until they realized it had invaded his head so deeply that I guess at that point they figured there was going to be serious repercussions health and/or mental wise, so then they just stopped. They never came to the end of the stalk. Nothing was ever going to help with Henry, I don't think. No matter how much sooner we would have done this. That's why I think it may have been there from the very beginning. He must have been in pain, I have no idea how much. You would never have known it though, until the very end when his appetite lessened and he started to cry some. We both feel so badly...

GRAPHICS DETAILS END

I too hope this doesn't cause my son to give up on having another fur baby. And I pray this doesn't cause him to slide backwards. Henry did so much for him. He was a reason for getting up and going on each day. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers if you would. He needs them.

Thank you all again.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, honey, I am keeping your son in my thoughts and prayers and hope with time you son can and will open his heart again to love another animal. It will be healing. Of course we all have our own time frame for when we are ready but for me it always helped to open my heart and soul to loving another furbaby when I lost a beloved cat.

When our Billy died (who was like a child to us I have to say though I know many here are grimacing when I write that it is true) we were devastated. But as a way to honor his life we rescued another cat and in fact over a series of a few months rescued a total of 3 as a way of honoring Billy and his life. 3 cats who might have been put to death if no one adopted them. And it helped us heal. It really did. They could never replace Billy in our hearts and we still miss him so much but our hearts are huge and limitless in how much love we can share with others. Love has the capacity to help heal the pain of losing a loved one and while we will always miss our beloved fur babies who are gone it has helped us deal with and work through that pain. All of us have that limitless love to give.

Allow your son to take the time he needs and hopefully he will come to the realization that by rescuing another he can honor Henry and his life and help your son love unconditionally again. (((HUGS))) to you and your son and I am keeping you both close in my heart, thoughts and prayers.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh ellen :blackeye: poor sweet Henry

I love everything that missy said...

I think if we make the furbabies about them, about saving them, and not us, then we can never let anything get in the way of helping more. It might take time to feel capable of having the courage to love a furbaby again, and it shouldn't be rushed - but if we make it about them, the time will come, even if it takes a while.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ellen|1471345818|4066548 said:
...I too hope this doesn't cause my son to give up on having another fur baby. And I pray this doesn't cause him to slide backwards. Henry did so much for him. He was a reason for getting up and going on each day. ...

I feel bad that your son had to go through this, but what Missy said is exactly right. He should go out and get another cat or even 2 and essentially get back on the horse and ride! It doesn't take courage. There is nothing to fear, but fear itself, as the saying goes. Don't over-anylyze anything. Go look for some happiness.

You all had no way of knowing or even guessing that Henry would get an inoperable tumor. But look what a happy life Henry had, even if it was short. There is no crystal ball to see into the future. Hope for the best and move on. There are truly MANY cats out there who deserve and desperately need a loving home. Having a cat die is no reason to deny another cat a home, or deny yourself the joy of having a cat. Nope, you can't bring back the one you lost. But cats are all individuals, and there are many potential "mates" out there if you give them a fair chance.

Having lost a very much loved cat, I found the his death emotionally devastating. But, I had already committed to bringing home another cat the next day, which then turned into 2 new cats just two days after I lost my beloved cat. And do you know what? Adopting those 2 cats from the animal shelter was absolutely the BEST thing that I could have done, for them and also for me. They are age 14 now, still very healthy and happy. As I look back on it, I honestly believe that the cat that I had to have euthanized would have wanted me to move on and be happy. There are people who do cat rescue work who have cats dying all the time due to age or illnesses. But it doesn't stop them from rescuing or loving cats.

DESDEMONA'S LEGACY
(S Hartwell)

I bequeath my favorite cat bed
To the cat who comes after me,
I sleep now in a bed of clouds,
Softer than earthly fleece.

To the cats who follow after,
I bequeath my favorite toys,
My beat up mouse, my feather wand,
The things that gave me joy.

To the cats who follow in my wake,
I leave my bowl and dish,
And hope that they'll be ever-full
Of milk and meat and fish.

To the cats who tread my paw-prints
In your many years to come,
I leave my secret hideaways
And my places in the sun.

I know that there'll be others,
And to them I now bequeath,
The cuddles, strokes and kind words,
This is my legacy.

I know it won't be right away,
The wound in your heart is raw,
But I'm certain there'll be others
To follow in my paws.

http://messybeast.com/moggycat/desdemona.htm

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ellen: So sorry for the loss of Henry. I've been following along and am sitting here in tears right now writing this. Henry was lucky to have a family to care so much for him.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen,

My deepest sympathy to you and your son. Henry was obviously a very special boy who was much loved and extremely important in your lives.

You and your son are in my thoughts and prayers. May time and wonderful memories bring you some strength and comfort.

Hugs

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AdaBeta27,

The poem you posted is lovely.

Thank you for sharing it and the link.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Sincere and heartfelt condolences to you, your son, and family from me and my fur baby.

Hugs,
Patty and Emma

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1471453670|4066943 said:
AdaBeta27,

The poem you posted is lovely.

Thank you for sharing it and the link.

That's how it seemed to be when my first cat died. It's been 14 years, but the cats I adopted still use my first cat's bed that was almost brand new when he passed away, his blanket, his water tank or whatever it's called, and they all played a lot with his favorite toys. It was uncanny, and even my ex-husband noticed it, how the first one that I adopted did antics that were a carbon copy of things the deceased cat had done with those toys, or when he jumped onto the back of the sofa, etc. It was something that new cat did every day for the first 3-4 days. Afterward these shows, the new cat would always stand still and look directly at me, as if to say "See that? I'm deliberately doing this demonstration as a message." Then he'd switch back to his own mannerisms and body language. It stopped after 3-4 days. I always thought that my first cat sent me this particular (and special) new cat to let me know that everything was okay in Cat Heaven, and let me know he approved of me moving on with new cats.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your condolences. (and hugs)

I just really don't feel like talking about all this now. Maybe later. But please know I appreciate all your posts.

Ada, that poem is really touching, and your last post made me cry. My son just keeps saying how he''ll never get another cat like Henry, one who plays fetch without even being taught, or who likes to shower with him....

I will come back to this thread when I feel better.

Bless you all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results