shape
carat
color
clarity

Helzberg Masterpiece - good deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stevev2

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'd like some opinions on whether the engagement ring I'm looking is a good/fair deal. The ring and setting can be viewed here:
http://www.helzberg.com/product/1-2ct+diamond+engagement+ring+gia+graded+1715106.do

Including taxes, it is coming to $2700 and this is for 0.53 carats, G color grade, SI1 clarity and Excellent Cut. The full GIA report is here:
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=2101387153&weight=0.53

I do like the setting and have yet to visit a few more places, but would appreciate any opinions on whether this is a good price or not.

Thanks.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
fixed the links for you...

http://www.helzberg.com/product/1-2ct+diamond+engagement+ring+gia+graded+1715106.do

http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=2101387153&weight=0.53

The numbers on the GIA look good...HCA of 1.6 within TIC

Light return - ex
fire -ex
scintillation - ex
spread - vg

Should be a pretty stone. Give me some time and I'll check the price for you. Seems a bit high to me.

EDIT - that price is way high - check out these 2 stones
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-or-less-ideal-cut-g-color-vs2-clarity_LD01377862
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2176263.htm

ct-appr

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Looks good to me.

stevev2

Rough_Rock
Although I have looked at a couple online sites, I generally prefer retail (local) businesses for larger purchases and the ease of use for later visits (cleaning, possible re-fitting, modifying the setting etc). That being said, is there a general consensus that James Allen and Blue Nile are reputable sites?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Nice stone, but a huge markup. That''s typical of branded cuts at B&M stores, especially chain stores. James Allen and Blue Nile are both very reputable; there are also many other reputable online vendors that PS members can vouch for (Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Winfield''s/High Performance Diamonds, Nice Ice, Brian Gavin Diamonds, ID Jewelry, and others).

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 5:30:27 PM
Author: stevev2
Although I have looked at a couple online sites, I generally prefer retail (local) businesses for larger purchases and the ease of use for later visits (cleaning, possible re-fitting, modifying the setting etc). That being said, is there a general consensus that James Allen and Blue Nile are reputable sites?
That is fine, it is just that the markup at Helzberg is way high. It is reasonable to expect to pay a little more to buy at a brick and mortar store due to their higher overhead, but not 50% more. (10-20% is reasonable).

outatouch0

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 5:10:53 PM
Author: ct-appr
Looks good to me.

36.gif
Love your signature slogan - roflma

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
It''s a good stone and a pretty setting. That said, as long as you understand that you''re overpaying by about 1k to go locally, and you don''t mind.. well then you''re set
1.gif

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I think the answer to your question depends on how you define good deal. I''m definitely not an expert, but $2,700 for a 1/2 carat solitaire seems too expensive to me. For another $300 you can get a 1/2 carat Tiffany ring, which is platinum. Online I think that $2,700 could probably get you a 3/4 carat ring.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2009 5:30:27 PM
Yes, they are definitly reputable. Along with the other sites jstar mentioned. Please dont overpay by $1k just to get the extra services
of cleaning and checkups (expecially on something that should cost $1700). At least try to find a reputable family owned business that
will do you a decent deal. Post all the numbers here and we will verify the stone is a winner or not.

stevev2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Convinced me to try out the JA or BN -- staying with the same budget and it looks like I''ll be getting a much better purchase for the same cost. The free cleanings every 6 months, free first resizing were the final clinchers - along with the 30 day refund in case she really doesn''t like the design :)

Almost too many options now - but currently leaning towards the following:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1197183.asp
and
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/solitaire-engagement-rings.html

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 8:00:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. Convinced me to try out the JA or BN -- staying with the same budget and it looks like I''ll be getting a much better purchase for the same cost. The free cleanings every 6 months, free first resizing were the final clinchers - along with the 30 day refund in case she really doesn''t like the design :)

Almost too many options now - but currently leaning towards the following:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1197183.asp
and
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/solitaire-engagement-rings.html
Looks good.

Just FYI, almost any jewelry store will clean a ring and inspect prongs for free, even if you didn''t buy the ring from them.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2009 10:18:06 PM
Author: jet2ks

Looks good.

Just FYI, almost any jewelry store will clean a ring and inspect prongs for free, even if you didn''t buy the ring from them.
Yep, I take my eng. ring and White Flash earrings into Ben Bridge and they check and clean them for free.

stevev2

Rough_Rock
Couple more questions:

1. Reading through the forum, I was able to determine the Blue Nile Signature Ideals (cut rating) are just diamonds that they themselves own and/or have evaluated. However, I wasn't able to find any mention of whether the same applies to James Allen's TreuHearts diamonds? For both of these cases, would it be OK to include the lower category of "Ideal" and just go by the cut rating of Excellent in the certificate?

2. In the B&M store I visited, I was told that the certs from GIA are usually more stringent than those from other agencies (e.g.- AGS)-- is this true and if so, would it make sense to just track GIA certified stones?

Thanks.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/10/2009 10:31:23 AM
Couple more questions:

1. Reading through the forum, I was able to determine the Blue Nile Signature Ideals (cut rating) are just diamonds that they themselves own and/or have evaluated. However, I wasn''t able to find any mention of whether the same applies to James Allen''s TreuHearts diamonds? For both of these cases, would it be OK to include the lower category of ''Ideal'' and just go by the cut rating of Excellent in the certificate?

2. In the B&M store I visited, I was told that the certs from GIA are usually more stringent than those from other agencies (e.g.- AGS)-- is this true and if so, would it make sense to just track GIA certified stones?

Thanks.

JA''s truehearts will have more information available at the go. Like you will be able to see the IS and Hearts images. Other cuts, you can go down to premium as JA cuts off ideal at 58% table size when up to 60% can still get an AGS0 cut grade, you can always request for IS images. Only Truehearts will get the Hearts images though.

GIA sets the standard for color and clarity as they develop the scale, what they say is what it is so to speak, other labs just try and match the target. AGS is on par in color and clarity grading but superior in cut grading is the general consensus here. GIA Ex cuts allows for some steep/deep combination which will result in leaky cuts, making the stone look dull.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/10/2009 10:31:23 AM
Couple more questions:

1. Reading through the forum, I was able to determine the Blue Nile Signature Ideals (cut rating) are just diamonds that they themselves own and/or have evaluated. However, I wasn't able to find any mention of whether the same applies to James Allen's TreuHearts diamonds? For both of these cases, would it be OK to include the lower category of 'Ideal' and just go by the cut rating of Excellent in the certificate?

Thanks.
The BN SI's are their in house diamonds which are apparently also h&a, however they do not supply images to judge the precison and patterning. JA True Hearts are their own h&a brand and as such they should have access to these diamonds. Also I don't personally think it is a good idea to rely on cut grades such as Ideal when vendor applied or GIA Excellent as the latter in particular can allow for some less desirable proportion configurations which will not be the best cut diamonds as a result.

AGS are considered to be the gold standard of cut grading compared to GIA, AGS0 Ideal is performance based ( although some other AGS grades are proportion based), GIA cut grading is parametric based, therefore AGS are considered to be preferable for cut grading.

stevev2

Rough_Rock
Thanks. Guess I''ll actually follow AGS if they''re on par color and clarity wise, and better from a practical POV for cut.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck in your search. If you need any help, just start a new thread.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/10/2009 11:56:06 AM
Thanks. Guess I'll actually follow AGS if they're on par color and clarity wise, and better from a practical POV for cut.
There are superbly cut GIA graded diamonds out there, just that you need to evaluate each carefully and especially because GIA round the numbers, in particular this can make a difference with crown and pavilion angles which are on the 'edge' such as borderline steep deep angled diamonds and shallower proportioned ones. Idealscope and ASET images are extremely useful to help you determine the best cut.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance More on ASET/ Idealscope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results