shape
carat
color
clarity

Helsberg Masterpiece

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamondFrEak

Rough_Rock

I have recently purchased a Helsberg Masterpiece engagement set for Approx $3200 (including tax, lifetime warranty on repairs/replacements, and 10% military discount)

Here are the specs of the 1ct TW Masterpiece Diamond Engagement Ring Set, GIA® Graded:
Shape and cutting style: Round Brilliant
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Clarity Characteristics: Feather
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

Exact ring on this website: http://www.helzberg.com/product/engagement+%26+wedding/helzberg+diamond+masterpiece/1ct+tw+diamond+engagement+ring+set+1641931.do?sortby=ourPicks

My Questions:

#1: Did i get a good deal for this ring set?
#2: What does clarity characteristics mean?
#3: How important is fluorescence really?

Thanks for your help guys!!! :)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one thing I would be very concerned about is the cut of the stones, because poorly cut stones just don''t sparkle and often mall stores don''t have a great selection of well cut stones. Does the GIA report provide this type of information? if the stones are indeed GIA certified it should have it available...

DiamondFrEak

Rough_Rock
Yes. As listed above: "Cut Grade: Excellent"

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2008 10:48:52 PM
Author: DiamondFrEak
Yes. As listed above: ''Cut Grade: Excellent''

That isn''t what I meant. Does it have depth, table, crown, and pavilion angles? A GIA certificate should have that info and that is what will really tell us if it''s an excellent cut or not. Unfortunately calling it "excellent" doesn''t mean it really is.

DiamondFrEak

Rough_Rock
ummmm...... you bring up a good and valid point! It does not list the angles of the diamond, however, I have a "GIA Report #" on my cerfied report. Do you think i can find that kind of info somewhere since it is not listed on the paper i currently have.

I tried to find a place to enter my "gia report #" on the gia website, but i cant find a place for that. I was hoping to see if i can find a more detailed report.

thanks for your question... you have a good point! Validate what they claim. Hopefully i can validate.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2008 11:02:33 PM
ummmm...... you bring up a good and valid point! It does not list the angles of the diamond, however, I have a ''GIA Report #'' on my cerfied report. Do you think i can find that kind of info somewhere since it is not listed on the paper i currently have.

I tried to find a place to enter my ''gia report #'' on the gia website, but i cant find a place for that. I was hoping to see if i can find a more detailed report.

thanks for your question... you have a good point! Validate what they claim. Hopefully i can validate.

Yeah...I worry that you can''t though... Unfortunately hezelberg isn''t know for high quality diamonds nor are they known for good prices...

Here is where you can enter the report number:

http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/

I''m suspicious because of the lack of information about the report and also if it''s certified you should have received a copy of the report when you purchased it...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Helzberg masterpiece are well cut stones. From my personal experience looking for diamond earrings, I found them to be priced significantly higher than buying from other sources.

For example, here is a .54 carat diamond, H SI1, in a top quality hearts and arrows cut for about $1400. ($1347 if paid by wire and with pricescope discount).

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1467075.htm

Here's an example of a pretty diamond matching engagement ring and wedding band set for $1285. (not sure if they can get it in yellow gold, though. Are you sure she wants yellow gold?)

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Petite-Open-Cathedral--Engagement-Ring_1211.htm

You'd come out with a larger main diamond with a higher color for about $2685 (or less if paying by wire) and no tax if you live outside of TX.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2008 11:07:07 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Helzberg masterpiece are well cut stones.

Well that''s good to know at least!

DiamondFrEak

Rough_Rock
Wow! I found a place to enter my info at this website:

Here is a MORE DETAILED Report:
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 4.76 - 4.79 x 2.90 mm
Carat Weight: 0.40 (center stone)
Proportions:
Depth: 60.7 %
Table: 57 %
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 15 %
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 42.5 %
Star length: 45 %
Lower Half: 75 %
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:

Did i get a good deal? Is it realy as syemetrical as Helzberg claims? Are there answers to my other questions posted earlier.

Thanks again for bringing up such a good quesiton.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2008 11:08:16 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 12/6/2008 11:07:07 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Helzberg masterpiece are well cut stones.

Well that''s good to know at least!
Yes, I saw about a .75 ct. H color diamond that was over $5000 and I was able to get almost the same thing from WhiteFlash for $3000! It was a BIG price difference. But the larger the stone, the greater the difference.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/6/2008 11:09:35 PM

Wow! I found a place to enter my info at this website:

Here is a MORE DETAILED Report:

Round Brilliant
Measurements: 4.76 - 4.79 x 2.90 mm
Carat Weight: 0.40 (center stone)

Proportions:
Depth: 60.7 %
Table: 57 %
Crown Angle: 34.5°
Crown Height: 15 %
Pavilion Angle: 40.8°
Pavilion Depth: 42.5 %
Star length: 45 %
Lower Half: 75 %
Girdle: Thin to Medium, Faceted
Culet: None

Finish:

Did i get a good deal? Is it realy as syemetrical as Helzberg claims? Are there answers to my other questions posted earlier.

Thanks again for bringing up such a good quesiton.
If you''ll look up a couple of posts, I showed you how you could get a slightly larger stone (and higher color) for less money. But the cut quality of the Helzberg stone is fine. You''re just not getting the best deal on price. But if it is the set she wants, that counts the most!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well the good news is that the stone is well cut, which means lots of sparkle, so that''s great. But I do agree with DS that you probably could do better price wise if you want to shop around.

DiamondFrEak

Rough_Rock
I apologies for making a big stink about not having the cut angle %ages...... IT WAS INDEED ON MY GIA REPORT ALL ALONG... I was just too stupid to notice that the picture of the diamond had numbers and %ages on it.
BTW... the paper copy report i got from Helzberg and the one i pulled from the GIA.EDU website are exactly the same.

Now all that this info has been posted! Do we have a diamond connoisseur that knows if I got ripped off or if this is indeed an eloquent diamond set.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2008 11:19:26 PM
I apologies for making a big stink about not having the cut angle %ages...... IT WAS INDEED ON MY GIA REPORT ALL ALONG... I was just too stupid to notice that the picture of the diamond had numbers and %ages on it.

BTW... the paper copy report i got from Helzberg and the one i pulled from the GIA.EDU website are exactly the same.

Now all that this info has been posted! Do we have a diamond connoisseur that knows if I got ripped off or if this is indeed an eloquent diamond set.

We already told you above...

DiamondFrEak

Rough_Rock
I know... we are all posting at the same time... so when you post your answer im still posting a response... the delay is making the converation slightly awkward timeing wise.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND INPUT!!!!!!
35.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did pay quite a lot for the engagement, but as NF and DS said, it does appear to be a well cut stone so that''s good.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
This stone scored a 1.5 on the HCA, so it should look very nice and sparkly!

DiamondFrEak

Rough_Rock
How do i look up the HCA score myself? What does HCA stand for and mean?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2008 2:12:24 PM
How do i look up the HCA score myself? What does HCA stand for and mean?

The HCA (Holloway Cut Advisor) is a tool (located under TOOLS) above that is used as a rejection tool for diamonds. Anything under 2 is good (and lower isn''t better after that). So a 1.5 indicates that you have a well cut diamond. You can read more about it under CUT ADVISOR.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems kind of expensive for a 1cttw ring with lots of small stones. The smaller the stones, the lower the price per carat weight. The color and clarity are not spectacular either. I-color stones are not fine white. I rather spend the money on a larger solitaire in the F-SI2 range (good color, but better price because you're sacraficing clarity which no one notices up close anyways). Check out some vendors like Whiteflash with high quality cuts, GIA gradings, and good prices. They also have lovely and inexpensive mounts that are very elegant looking.

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
So are all the diamonds ideal cut or just the center stone....? Personally, I would see if whiteflash could make you something very similar to what you bought and to see what the price difference would be. I would want all the stones to be ideal cut not just the center.....

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As for the cut...it seems that its a good cut. did you get a good deal...thats a matter of personal opinion...and for me...IMO I say you overpaid. Alls that matters is that your happy with your ring though, and that your girl loves it. Now, if you are intersted in starting from scratch and getting a larger center stone, or getting more bang for your buck...you got PS''ers here to help you. Most PS vendors have a life time upgrade policy (so you won''t be losing out on that) and have way better service than mall stores.

Just to give you an idea, here are a few examples:

If you want a simple solitare ring, you can get a larger stone (I went w/ J color, which will face up white in ACA diamonds, and because your current stone is I in color)

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-609783.htm

with a simple setting for not much more than you paid now
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/6-Prong-tiffany-style-Diamond-Solitaire_993.htm

or
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/4-Prong-tiffany-style-Diamond-Solitaire_994.htm

Or this diamond
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5173/
Or if you want a higher color http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5127/

If you like the 3 stone look you can get and have a center stone put in.

http://www.danforthdiamond.com/three-stone-engagement-rings/6296/14K-White-Gold-3.5-mm-Engagement-Ring-with-1%7C2-Channel-Set-Diamond-Side-Stones-%28.28-ct.-tw.%29/details.htm

Everything I found (and much more) is within the 3200.00 range that you spent.

As for the topic of flo. that is personal opinion. Many people like it esp. in lower graded stones. I think it''s neat personally!

Hope this helps! Congrats on the up-coming engagment!

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
DiamondFrEak,
Came back to your thread and I thought I would give you some more options....If it were me personally I would want the biggest diamond I could afford so I would focus on a solitaire diamond ring....also, with the links I am giving you ALL diamonds are ideal cut and better color too

So You could get this diamond with this setting and this wedding band......IM sure they could do in yellow gold too

OR

u could do this = $2921 with PS discount with this setting, Total= $3175 and 10% off setting

OR

this diamond = $1556 with PS discounts with this setting and this wedding band which again Im sure they could do in yellow gold

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto DiamondSeeker, she gave you an excellent and imformative post!

DiamondFrEak

Rough_Rock
Yes. All the stones are ideal cut!!

DiamondFrEak

Rough_Rock
I feel like im getting a lot of bashing... "oh you paid to much" "you could have gotten a better quality".... does anyone actually like the ring?

I love it.... it sparkles alot and the design is awsome IMHO!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry you're feeling attacked.

You did come to ask if you overpaid, and people are giving you options as to what you could pay for comparable and bigger ideal diamonds.

Personally, the ring is not to my taste, but I'm not your SO. Do you KNOW that she will love the ring? Have you been shopping with her before, and has she pointed out rings like it?

If you're sure she will absolutely love it, move forward and know that you bought what you felt she would love the most!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 7:18:10 PM
I feel like im getting a lot of bashing... ''oh you paid to much'' ''you could have gotten a better quality''.... does anyone actually like the ring?

When you ask for opinions around here...be ready for honest answers, folks here are friendly, but not overly gushy.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 7:18:10 PM
I feel like im getting a lot of bashing... ''oh you paid to much'' ''you could have gotten a better quality''.... does anyone actually like the ring?

You asked what we thought and if you overpaid. We answered. If you want people to just gush then post it in Show Me the Ring and don''t ask those questions. People will be happy to tell you that it''s pretty. But if you ask, we answer.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, one of my friends' girlfriends just LOVED a setting quite like that from Kay's. Knowing what he knew about cut, he ended up having WF custom make a setting very similar for him, within your budget or close to it, using a .71 ct I VS2 ACA center stone, and 2 .25 or .30 ct. side diamonds.

Minty.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results