shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Plow

Rough_Rock
I recently gave my girlfriend an engagement ring from a local Jewelery store. He gave me a great deal on a VSG 76 point diamond ($2500). However, my fiance noticed today, as she was sitting outside, there seems to be a noticable gash on the one side of the diamond. When I use a pin and lightly go over the area, you can tell the pin goes into the gash and the surface is rough. Unlike the rest of the diamond, which is smooth. Like I said it is noticable to the eye.
I did not notice it while looking at the diamond at other times. So, I am guessing it may have happened when he was setting the stone. I have a few questions:
Does this greatly reduce the value? and
Should he be responsible and get me a new diamond?
If he tells me theres nothing he can do, what steps do I take then?

Thanks in advance for any help. I am sick thinking I spent all this money on a decent diamond only to have it be worth much less, and there is nothing I can do about it.

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
Ouch...do you know the store's policies? Also, I'm assuming you mean VS1 or VS2 and G colour...eitehr way, a VS stone should not have any visible inclusions. I've read a few posts where jewelers CAN damage a stone when setting it but that's apparently pretty rare.

I would take it back and point it out to them. I wouldn't keep it as I'd imagine something like that would really depreciate a diamond. Mind you, I'm picturing the pin going into the diamond...sort of like a hole.

Plow

Rough_Rock
Thanks for responding. Yeah, I believe it happened while he was setting the stone, as I havent noticed it the many other times I looked at it. Yes, the pin seems to go into what is a big gash or gouge(sp); the pin doesnt exactly "pierce: the diamond, but rather it seems to scrape a long a divit (if that makes sense). When you look at the one side of the diamond, it is a noticable white spot where the problem area is.
Is it a fair assumption that a reputable dealer, which this place is, would correct the problem by ording a comperable diamond?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure it isn't an indented natural?

Plow

Rough_Rock
hmmm, that I dont know. Would such a noticable mark be rated a VS? Also, I am pretty sure I havent seen it before. Basically, I want to get a little educated before I walk in on Monday, and be prepared if he was to say something along the line of "thats natural", or "that doesnt effect the quality/value at all."
If he gives me one of those lines, should I them tell him I am taking it to get a second opinion? Thanks again for the help.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Naturals are usually located in or around the girdle (edge). Is that where you're seeing the "gash"?

If the area in question is a cleavage, nick, chip or surface reaching feather, it was either there originally or came about after some sort of stress to the stone.

If there was a stressor which caused the stone to cleave, the two most likely occasions for that to happen is (1) upon setting, or (2) after a sharp blow or knock to the stone or prong holding the stone.

A gemologist can tell you whether the gash was there originally when the stone was cut, or whether it occurred after. If after, he usually can give you a pretty good idea if it happened during setting, or afterwards. Sometimes conclusively, sometimes not.

If the gash was there originally, and not noticed, the jeweler will probably take care of you. If it occurred during setting, he probably will take care of you as well. If it occurred after setting, your insurance should take care of it.

Plow

Rough_Rock
The gash is located on the side of the ring, well under the girdle, between 2 of the 6 prongs. I only had it for three days, and she and I did nothing that would cause any damage. I was there when the jeweler set the stone, I didnt really watch him, but at one point I did hear a SNAP and he looked at me and told me thats the sound of a tightly set stone.....ok, I thought. Anyway, I like to think I gave the diamond a good look over a few times, however, I never really got the chance to look at it in its final setting. He showed it to be briefly while he held it with tissue paper, and in the box it went. So I am thinking it may have happened during setting.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
The gash is located on the side of the ring, well
under the girdle, between 2 of the 6 prongs
-----------

Hi Plow. This is an area which almost never cleaves or breaks, either due to setting or other stressors. The fact that it's in that area makes me think it was there all along, and you've just now picked it up while examining it closely.

Being a VS stone, I would imagine that it's a small surface breaking feather which is only visible under 10x magnification when viewed faceup. If that's the case, it's probably a non-problem. Just a typical diamond inclusion.
Ask the jeweler what it is, and to show it to you under the microscope.

On a side note, did your diamond come with a certificate or appraisal which had a plotting diagram showing the characteristics of the stone? If it did, and this inclusion was there at the time of plotting, then it will be on the diagram.

Also, there is a phenomena which throws a lot of consumers when they first notice it. It is a reflection of the interior of the girdle which you can see on the side of the diamond about 1/2 to 2/3rds the way down from the girdle (edge). Many people have mistaken this reflection as a crack, and it often has that white appearance you mentioned (shown below). I bring it up because it has tripped up a lot of consumers.

That wouldn't account for the needle going "in" the gash, or running along a "divit", though. That sounds more like a surface reaching knife edge feather, which is a common enough inclusion. If it's not too big it would still be in the VS category, but usually is seen more in SI clarities.

Who graded the stone? A lab, or is the grading "in-house"?

Girdle reflection II- Plow.JPG

Plow

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your responses Rich, I really appreciate it! I do not have the paper work yet, I will be picking that up on Tuesday. Im thinking it was graded in-house. The Jeweler never mentioned anything about the diamonds being certified or what have you. But, honestly Im just not sure. However, he is a very respected private jeweler in the area and I can tell a difference in the diamonds he carries and the diamonds I might see at a chain store in the mall.
This gash, or chip I am talking about is very visible to the naked eye. Now that I know its there, its driving me crazy. I was told, by the jeweler, the diamond is an VS and G color. It is a round cut. Would the diamond still be considered a VS if I can clearly see this chip?
Again, the chip is noticable, it appears as a small white mark on the side of the diamond. It almost looks as though there is a small white paint chip on there. And, as I said before, the area Im talking about isnt smooth like the rest of the surface, but rather feels rough.

Plow

Rough_Rock
I used photoshop to give you a sense where it is located and the approxamate size and look of the area.

diamond_Plow2.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh... I see.

I didn't realize the "gash" or "chip" extended up to the girdle.

What you drew looks remarkably similar to a shallow chip which started at the girdle and "spread" down the pavilion of the stone. These chips often have a rough, splintery look to them, sometimes with a shallow "stairstep" appearance.

Sometimes they occur from setting, starting at or close to a prong which might have been improperly notched or pressured by the setter.

And again, sometimes they occur when the girdle edge has suffered a sharp blow or knock.

I guess there's no way you could take a closeup photo of it, eh? Maybe using a macro lens on your digital, or a 10x loupe in combination with your camera?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Wait a minute.....maybe I didn't see.

Is the orange circled area what you're referring to, or the smaller, darker torpedo shaped area inside of it?

The orange circled area has the appearance of the shallow chip I referred to in the post above. The torpedo shaped area has more the appearance of a feather inclusion.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Plow;

Sounds like you now have an unpolished 'natural'
that needs the immediate attention by your jeweller.
No way this condition deserves VS1 if it existed prior
to your purchase. An imperfection and/or inclusion may have
resided there and opened during setting.
Leaving this as is invites only more trouble as it will
continue to open and spread.
See if your jeweller will replace with a comparable stone.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Plow

Rough_Rock
Yes, its that torpedo inside the orange circle. Again, thanks for the insight, I will see my jeweler on Tuesday. I will let you know what he said. In the mean time, I will try to get a close up pic for you.

Plow

Rough_Rock
Ok, here's the update. The Jeweler was very cool and replaced the stone. Here is what I ended up with, tell me what you think:
The diamond is from Stuller
Measurements: 5.73 x 3.62
Weight 0.75
Depth: 63.10%
Table: 60.80%
Girdle: Thick
Cutlet: none
Polish: very good
Symmetry: good
Make: Good
Clarity: VVS2
Color Grade: H
Flourescence: Strong
Comments: Slightly indented natural next to girdle

Price: $2500

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sounds a better deal. Is the stone sparkly?

Plow

Rough_Rock
Yes very. Actually, much more than the first one.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
That's all that matters!
1.gif
Enjoy it!
appl.gif

BTW, is the indented natural visible to you?

Plow

Rough_Rock
No, I do not see it, but then again, I dont know what I am looking for?

Plow

Rough_Rock
He took full responsibility for it as he set the stone rather quickly and never gave it a good look-over when he was finished. So, he said it most likely happened during setting. I do hae a question however, I have been reading up on fluorescence and am still a bit confused. Again, this stone is rated at a strong florescence. Is that more or less desirable? I have been reading where a diamond with a strong florescence can appear milky or oily, but I have not found any pics to compare to. Im just curious really; I am very happy with the stone I ended up with-sparkly and bright, I dont think its milky or oily, but then I dont know what I am looking for.
Thanks for all the responses, this is a great community for beginners like me!!!!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 7/3/2003 9:47:23 PM Plow wrote:
He took full responsibility for it as he set the stone rather quickly and never gave it a good look-over when he was finished. So, he said it most likely happened during setting. I do hae a question however, I have been reading up on fluorescence and am still a bit confused. Again, this stone is rated at a strong florescence. Is that more or less desirable? I have been reading where a diamond with a strong florescence can appear milky or oily, but I have not found any pics to compare to. Im just curious really; I am very happy with the stone I ended up with-sparkly and bright, I dont think its milky or oily, but then I dont know what I am looking for.
Thanks for all the responses, this is a great community for beginners like me!!!!----------------
Hi Plow-Heres a good tutorial for you to read from the goodoldgold website. Clicking on the link will get you there.

www.goodoldgold.com/fluorescence.htm

I think in your case as you described the stone looks good and from what remarks you had I don't think it would affect the look of your stone in a negative way. A circumstance where you might have to be a little more careful is when a stone exhibits very-strong flourescence.

Glad to here the jeweler was stand up in replacing your stone..

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results