shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
I am purchasing a natural yellow diamond in the w-x to y-z range. I looked at Blue Nile and the said that color is a very poor white diamond!!! Is this true??

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Also, how would I describe the color to people who ask? I really like light yellow stones as colored/fancy diamonds. My intention is not to buy a "warm" white stone. Is Blue Nile wrong? I won''t sleep until I have a little piece of mind. I don''t want to feel "taken".

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a little more insight for you Sunni..

The main difference is colorless/near diamonds are graded through the pavilion and fancy colored diamonds are graded face up through the crown. Cut influences the color quite a bit especially in a fancy colored diamond face up. Certain diamonds which might be graded a "low color" through the pavilion are graded a fancy color face up. Hue is crucial. The shape and cutting style can affect the intensity or evenness of color.

A faint to light color other than yellowish or brownish is considered a fancy color. The GIA D-Z scale is used to grade diamonds with yellowish & brownish tints.

Fancies are beyond the D-Z color scale.

Y-Z are considered tinted colors. The same round diamond graded a y-z might very well obtain the “light fancy” grade when submitted to the GIA. The color must be stronger and attractive to be considered fancy color.

With this being said, I really would not phrase the diamond your considering as a poor white diamond. Graded on the scale from d-z it is on the low end of the spectrum and has the yellowish or brownish tint which attributes to the grading. I think it is a how you see color and what you perceive as attractive. I like the warmer tones and because the diamond your considering is in the w-x-y range I would say it would no doubt be priced accordingly. I don't think theres any misrepresentation going on here, I just think you might be a little confused on what defines a "fancy colored diamond" and what a tinted diamond in the color range your looking at is. Fancy colored diamonds are deeper and darker in color. I think this stone presents a good alternative for a lighter tone graded on a different scale..
21.gif

Hope this helps..
35.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i can''t believe how timely this is: not more than an hour ago i was having this discussion with my husband trying to explain the differences between U-Z v. ''fancy'' color diamonds, pulling out my books, pulling up websites, and some threads on pricescope to help. this says it all. thank you.

peace, movie zombie

ps i was doing all this because of stephen''s ''m'' stone being discussed in another thread.......

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Movie zombie,
are you considering a stone like this? The stone I am buying really is beautiful. It appears to be a fancy color to me. I am a little confused on the diamond grades though because this diamond doesn''t look tinted white, but a bit like a fancy light yellow to me.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Hi Josh,
Thanks the the explanation. The diamond in question is light yellow with the color evenly distributed. Does that make a difference? The color of the stone is absolutely beautiful to me and I loved it as soon as I saw it. Honestly, it appears to be a "fancy" color to me. I get confused because some sources say it could possibly be considered a a light fancy and others say no way, it''s a tinted white diamond. What do I tell others when they ask the color of the stone?

Thanks!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
christine,

i''m all over the map re what stone to get. i really like the deep color of spessartite but i''ve been doing a little bit of looking at champagne/cognac diamonds. the yellow/orange diamonds seem like lots of $$$.

research at various websites, reading pricescope threads [especially the thread re stephen''s M stone!], and now this thread opened another door for me. up til now i was only seeing D-G diamonds and while pretty, they didn''t speak to me. and i think i now know why: no color. reading through the threads, i''m finding that 1-each of us should be buying the stone that sing to us as an individual and not just what someone says is the ''ideal'' and 2-there are those out there that think the K-Z colors are more desireable. it also appears that the desire for a D type colorless stone is a relatively recent popular trend.

i wish i could find an actual b&m where i could see some of the different color grades side by side, and not just the D-J colors.

see: http://diamondsbylauren.com/grade.html# for some more info and note the paragraph at the bottom:
"The color scale for diamonds starts at D, totally colorless. It continues down the alphabet to the last color considered white, J. Colors K, L & M still appear white, just slightly tinted & can still be set in platinum or white gold. Colors N-T are very low priced diamonds because they appear neither white nor a distinct yellow."

also, check this stone out from wink: http://www.winkjones.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16245&cat=255&page=1

note the description of ''warm white''.....

so what''s not to be interested in?! i find these stones to be more interesting than the D-J but that''s because i like color....

i''d love to know about your search for a diamond, how you came to the stone you''re getting, etc. if you don''t want to post it in the thread, perhaps you could post me by private e-mail.

peace, movie zombie

ps it seems that many of the online venders to not list stones in the lower end of the alphabet. anyone besides diamonds by lauren out there who does?

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/2/2005 8
6.gif
6.gif
3 AM
Author: Sunni79
Hi Josh,
Thanks the the explanation. The diamond in question is light yellow with the color evenly distributed. Does that make a difference? The color of the stone is absolutely beautiful to me and I loved it as soon as I saw it. Honestly, it appears to be a ''fancy'' color to me. I get confused because some sources say it could possibly be considered a a light fancy and others say no way, it''s a tinted white diamond. What do I tell others when they ask the color of the stone?

Thanks!
Hi Sunni:

Tell them it''s a light fancy yellow.
2.gif

I think you made an important point here besides trying to identify the differences between diamonds which have a little color and are graded on the d-z scale and "fancy colored diamonds".

This point being that the stone you are considering is beautiful, tell people whatever you want..The main thing is you think the stone is attractive and this is all that matters.

I believe you are getting some good value by not dipping into the "Real Fancy" range because there is a large difference in the price. If you like it go with it...
21.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/2/2005 3:13:37 AM
Author: movie zombie
i can''t believe how timely this is: not more than an hour ago i was having this discussion with my husband trying to explain the differences between U-Z v. ''fancy'' color diamonds, pulling out my books, pulling up websites, and some threads on pricescope to help. this says it all. thank you.

peace, movie zombie

ps i was doing all this because of stephen''s ''m'' stone being discussed in another thread.......
Glad this thread was helpful Movie Zombie...
35.gif

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies Josh and Movie Zombie! They are very helpful. I feel so much more confident in what I am buying now!
I will post pics next week.

Thanks!
35.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for all the info, josh.

sunni, i''m with josh re what to tell people. believe me after all the time and trouble i''m devoting to this and no matter what stone i end up with, i''m going to state very clearly, if asked what the stone is, that it is the stone i wanted and how much i like the color. it is afterall an individual taste thing, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. and being that i''m not shy about such things, i have other views i will share if someone even dares to belittle my treasure....once i find it, that is!

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results