shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!!

Martycon

Rough_Rock
Ok, I bought a diamond over a year ago and have a chance to upgrade it before I propose in April. What I currently have is GIA xxx, 1.21 ct, F color, S11. After reviewing these message boards and learning about HCA and ASG, I decided to plug in the numbers and see how it rated. The HCA score is a dismal 5.4. The ASG chart puts the diamond at ASG 1. The stone is 6.78 x 6.83mm and shows very nicely. Full specs - 56 table, 62.5 depth, 36 CA, 41 PA

I've been thinking about trying to move towards the 1.5 ct. region and approached my jeweler about upgrading. They will give me the full value of what I paid for my current stone and let me pick move up without having to spend double (I know some jewelers have stipulations). I'm looking at a 1.5ct. GIA xxx, H color, VS2. The HCA score is 2.4. Yet when I put it on the ASG proportion table it comes in at ASG 2 (literally 1 block over from ASG 0 see attached photo). Full specs - 55 table, 62.9 depth, 36.5 CA, 40.6 PA. (GIA CERT 2267918416)
1.5.JPG

Help me decide if it's worth it to upgrade to this diamond or if you think I should stick with what I have. I'm actually not even sure if it's an upgrade?! Let the GIA vs. AGS debate continue I suppose.

Thanks in advance! I don't want to mess this up

Attachments

• 1.5.JPG
    1.5.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 9

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When stones are too deep, which the one you listed is, it will face up looking smaller than it should. You want a 1.5 ct diamond to be about 7.4mm (but definitely not less than about 7.35). This is all you need to get a good stone as far as cut goes. Tell your jeweler to not show you anything unless it falls within these parameters. I wouldn't keep the original stone, I'd definitely upgrade to a better cut one.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results