shape
carat
color
clarity

Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mwochos

Rough_Rock
I''ve been following the forums for a few weeks now and I know if I post this then at least one of you kind souls will be able to help me out. I''ve done a lot of research online (GOG, PS and others) and have now totally confused myself!!
I''m looking for an engagement ring and have a budget of around $5k. My girlfriend really likes the emerald cut and the princess cut diamonds but doesn''t really know what she wants. She has shown me many different types of rings and from what I have seen I think I want to go along the lines of an emerald cut center stone with princess cut side stones. First of all, will this look strange? Can anyone recomend a designer (again my budget isn''t too big) that might have something along the lines I want?
Now here comes the hard part....what diamond to buy. I''ve been searching online a lot as I said and I keep getting hung up on a D-F color of no less than VS1 quality, more rectangular than square and with a table and depth of 60-65. Form all I''ve read about emerald cuts the inclusions are much more visable so I want to keep the diamond as clean as possible so at those specs I''m looking at about a .75c stone. Am I being to picky? If not would a .75c center stone with .25c side stones look wierd? I''ve asked my girlfriend for some more direction but I think she really wants it to be a surprise and doesn''t know much about the size vs quality of a diamond. As you can tell, I am leaning heavily towards the quality side!
Well, this isn''t half of what I wanted to ask but I''m not sure how to get my questions clear in my own head. Like I said I have confused myself. Please help steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Mark

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. Stay within your budget.
2. F color in this size center will work out fine. D is over the top.
3. Side diamonds could go nicely with a rectangular center such as you indicated. It might be nice to find emerald cut sides rather than princess cuts. Princess cuts are glitzier, more sparkly than emerald cuts. Maybe you should consider three princess cuts instead, but my preference is to match the look and sparkle across all three diamonds.
4 In a princess cut 3/4 ct size you could safely go to VS2 for total eye clean appearance. because they sparkle more, small inclusions are not so visible as they are in emerald cut.
4. I tested the above recommendations with a Pricescope search and found you'd need to spend about $3K for the center, $1K for the pair of sides and then pay for the mounting to put them together. This would end up at or below $5K total.... I used F-VS2 and all princess cuts .70-.77 center, .20-.25ct F VS2 sides......

It looks like you can do the job for the money. Now, the hard work is all on you.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Why not trillions on the each side of the princess. I think the three princesses together look a little "boxy".
wink2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
ohhhh, I'm with dave on that one. To think of it, I haven't seen any emerald centers with princess sides...In my opnion, for GOOD reason. That does not sound appealing at all.

If you did go with a princess center, you could totally drop to a G Vs2! The emerald is also lovely...it might actually look bigger anyway b/c the princess can be very deep...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Also, if it were me (which it's not!) I'd put more money into the center stone and less into the sides...How about nice baguettes on the side of the emerald cut? Or step cut trapezoids???

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't even think about the trapezoids~!
love.gif
Very good idea~!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Let's see if this is the right picture...

This is an emerald emerald cut lol....

Picture a diamond!!!
1.gif

RG16681.jpg

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
appl.gif
I pictured a diamond~! Nice~!

mwochos

Rough_Rock
David and all,
Thanks for the posts. I guess what I need to do is make a decision between the princess and the emerald and go with it for all three stones. I'll also look into the baguettes/trapezoids if I decie to go with the emerald (which I am leaning towards at this time). How do you price the baguettes/trapezoids? I don't see anything on PS. Just find a ring designer I trust and go with his?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results