shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

durnant

Rough_Rock
OK, I''m sure you guys get a million dopes like me looking for some help. I know nothing about diamonds, absolutely nothing. After going to both Saks and Tiffany''s, I truly feel as if I know even less now. Saks has the Rand diamond and of course Tiffany has their own. I basically know what I am looking for but I can''t help but feel that I am getting fairly ripped off. I can''t imagine that the premium they place on their stones make them any better than those purchased from any other reputable dealer.

Here is my situation. I need to purchase a good quality, roughly 2.5 carat, round (brilliant cut) engagement ring. I prefer the Tiffany setting as it is very clean and really enhances the stone. My budget is somewhere between 25,000-35,000. I thought within that range I could purchase a fairly nice stone, but after visiting these two stores I am really disheartned. Can someone please tell me what kind of stone I should expect for this budget. I would like something in the D,E or F range and in or around vvs1.

Do I have any shot? I have a friend that works at Saks and she can get me her corporate discount, but even with that I feel as if I''m getting seriously taken to the cleaners. Anyway, thank you for your time and would appreciate any assistance with this journey.

finchuck

Shiny_Rock
I think you're shooting a little high for your price range and if I were you I'd probably look in the F color range, perhaps VVS2 or even VS1 clarity range, and a very good or ideal cut to get the best bang for your buck. Here's some examples of what you can get at www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com. They all look to be quite nice.

2.40ct E color VVS2 clarity GIA $31,750 62.6 58 VG EX None 8.51x8.55x5.34
2.41ct F color VVS1 clarity GIA $32,525 59.5 60 EX GD None 8.74x8.85x5.23
2.45ct E color VVS2 clarity GIA $33,047 61.4 59 VG GD None 8.76x8.63x5.34

Here are some that are of lesser quality, notice the price and size difference:

2.51ct G color VS1 clarity GIA $24,807 59.6 59 VG EX Faint 8.90x8.93x5.31
2.55ct F color VS2 clarity GIA $27,841 59.1 58 VG EX Faint 8.99x8.94x5.3

durnant

Rough_Rock
Thank you for that information, it was very helpful. I must admit, given the experience of buying this ring, if this woman ever leaves me, I'm going to stay single for life... Any shot of someone pointing me in the direction of someone I can sit down with here in Manhattan and purchase a stone from? I actually work 2 blocks from the jewelry district. I'm on 47th and Park, so if someone can reccomend a reputable diamond dealer in the area I would greatly appreiciate it. Thank you again. td

magna2

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/11/2003 8:29:51 AM durnant wrote:

Thank you for that information, it was very helpful. I must admit, given the experience of buying this ring, if this woman ever leaves me, I'm going to stay single for life... Any shot of someone pointing me in the direction of someone I can sit down with here in Manhattan and purchase a stone from? I actually work 2 blocks from the jewelry district. I'm on 47th and Park, so if someone can reccomend a reputable diamond dealer in the area I would greatly appreiciate it. Thank you again. td----------------

Go visit SuperbCert located at 2 West 46 St - Suite 503 - New York, NY or take a drive out to Long Island to visit Good Old Gold. You can find exceptional H&A diamonds at either of those two stores for much less than what comparable Tiffany diamonds would cost.

rodent.gif

durnant

Rough_Rock
Thank you, will give them a call. td

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results