shape
carat
color
clarity

[Help] Yellow Star Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jontrac

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, I am thinking about purchasing this yellow star sapphire. However, I have absolutely no idea about gems and how they are valued. Please help provide me some recommendations.

The gem's price is ~$240 USD
Length: 13.5mm
Width: 10mm
Thickness: 7mm
Weight: 10.7carat

Is it worth accepting the deal?

Thanks.

988791374301042.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope Jontrac.

It''s a first for me. Never seen a yellow star sapphire before.

The price seems incredibly cheap. So cheap in fact that I suspect if you were to get a reputable gemologist to comment on it''s authenticity and value, you might spend a fair sized chunk of that $240 again.

I am assuming you are buying this stone sight unseen. In which case assure yourself that the vendor had a return policy that you are comfortable with in case the stone is disappointing to you.

Maybe someone more knowlegeable on yellow star sapphires will chime in.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2010 8:00:29 AM
Author: Edward Bristol

to be brief: no way.

if there was such a thing as yellow star sapphire and it had 10 carat and be that pretty is would be very expensive.

Jontrac,

Edward is a purveyor of extremely fine, un-enhanced, natural stones. I think what he is trying to say is that the stone you are interested in does not likely fit into that category. I''m no expert, but I think he''s probably right.

If you accept that you might not be getting a sapphire at all and that the star may only appear in some very specific and direct lighting and you are still interested, $240 is not a whole heap of money to spend. Of course, if it''s a chunk of glass, you might consider $240 is a lot of money. People certainly spend more on costume jewellery than that though.

If however, you think that you are getting something rare for a bargain of a price, chances are very likely that you are not. Too be certain of that fact, you would also spend as much as the purchase price trying to find out.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
One other thing.

You don''t mention the name of the vendor, but if it''s an e-bay seller, you can check out his/her reputation by going to Toolhaus.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/24/2010 8:00:29 AM
Author: Edward Bristol

to be brief: no way.

if there was such a thing as yellow star sapphire and it had 10 carat and be that pretty is would be very expensive.

Edward - is theoretically possible for yellow star sapphires to exist? If so, why would they be so rare? I have never come accross any mention of them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d approach this cautiously. I’ve seen very few yellow star sapphires and they are smaller with less saturation, yet cost more than what you are looking at. As an example, a 2.5 ct unheated whitish yellow star sapphire of not very good translucency will cost you somewhere around $350. A translucent 10 ct bright yellow as you’ve shown should be very rare and therefore far more expensive. It makes me wonder if the stone is a synthetic.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will the seller also provide certification to a reputable lab? If not, then its no, not worth it.

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have I very dark star sapphire which I suspect may be synthetic. One thing that makes me suspicious is that the "star" is too well-formed and the rays are very long. I see the same phenomenon in your picture as well. I am going to post mine later but I''d really, really be cautious. It looks like a fun stone, but I doubt it''s natural. If you look at pictures of most star sapphires on the PS - some are better, some are worse, but neither has such a star.

jontrac

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot guys for the very valuable advices.

Btw, this is the seller''s page:
- Vietnamese version
- English version

By looking at the seller''s page, it shows that the store has been running for a year and a half now.
Prestige: 100%
Comments: 278 (all well)

Sure it looks too good to be true! I will try to ask him to take more pictures or film the gem. Will report back to you guys as soon as possible!

Sorry for my improper English.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a picture of my natural star sapphire. It shows a very strong, long star, so I don''t agree with craslu''s statement on the strength of the star as assessing natural vs. synthetic. You can also see the side and the big fat belly of this stone, which verifies the nature of this stone.

skybluestaruppy.JPG

IMG_1277mel.JPG

IMG_1279mel.JPG

Wow! Sorry for the huge size of the pictures!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, Upgradable, I should find mine and post it. Yours looks totally different, the rays are long but still...not perfect. Mine are perfect, and it is suspicious.

jontrac

Rough_Rock
Dear all, these are the extra pictures that the vendor has provided me. Hopefully it helps for judging the value of the gem.
36.gif

extrapics.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Jontrac,
Pictures alone rarely, if ever, help in evaluating the value of gems. I doubt you will find anyone here who will even vouch for it''s authenticity based on a photo, let alone put a value on it.

Like I said earlier, if you are intent on finding out it''s authenticity, which you will need to do before getting it appraised, then you need to approach a reputable lab, followed by a reputable appraiser.

Maybe someone can chime in with suggestions for a lab that is close to you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jon,
Is the vendor willing to send the stone to AIGS (Thailand) for a $25 fast track memo? It takes approximately one week and is inexpensive, yet will tell you if the stone is natural and if it has been treated.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Simply sapphires has some yellow star sapphires that are dyed.

tapio

Shiny_Rock
Tapio here,

I tend to agree with Ed. Usually if it''s too good to be true -- it is. I buy heat treated and synthetic stones for my class to see and hold for our rocks and minerals unit and also for me to look at with various tools for comparison. The students think it''s great (diamonds, rubies, emeralds sapphires - and then so many other lovely types of stones) and it teaches them a little of what they are buying or will buy for their sweethearts in the future. I always say to boys -- if you really love her, get the real thing. To the girls I say make sure it comes certified. "How deep is your love boys (or significant others)". Otherwise I''ve purchased mitt fulls of these stones for under ten dollars. I''ve had them tested and of course you get what you pay for. On the other hand I have some real untreated sapphires that have been tested by GIA & AGTA & The Swiss place (Buehlein?) I forget now. These are in a totally different category. I would defintiely have it tested. I enclosed a couple of pictures of some of my natural untreated star sapphires.

The white is really tricky. The sun was so bright it was almost like a mirror, but it is translucent and almost transparent (with white), the pink is just a wee little cute baby. The star and transparency were so fine I could resist this little beauty. The blue is a fully transparent star, excellent rays on the belly and movement of the star.

But, have it checked. Otherwise you could be piss... in the wind.

Cheers,

Tapio

T Sapphire Tsavorite.jpg

tapio

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a pink star sapphire. It''s a wee bit ''o a thing, but I just fell in love with the star and colour wonderful - wonderful zoning under 120 x mag.
I love stones with some inclusions. They''re like us - (I''ll speak for myself) imperfect.

Tpink star.jpg

tapio

Shiny_Rock
Hi is the white star I was talking about. Because it is a pure white stone -- it was difficult to get the white star shinning in the natural daylight. Never the less if you look carefully you can see the equal legs of the star. And a wee bit o'' the lines in the crystal formation.

Tapio

TWSandTasvorite.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Tapio, long time no see. Welcome back. I think we thought you had forsaken us.

tapio

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gailey,

It''s nice to be back. Thank you for the warm welcome. I''m just back from a trip.

It''s great to see all the conversations.

Tapio

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results