shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Whiteflash studs

lhelms

Rough_Rock
I've been looking at studs on Whiteflash for months and I just can't seem to pull the trigger. I'm looking at 1 CTW and I can't decide between a pair that's VS1 color I and a pair that's VS2 color H. Do I go with the better clarity or the better color...will you even be able to tell the difference between these? I also can't seem to decide on the setting. I tried on both a basket and martini setting and really liked the martini style but It seems like a lot of people here have had their martini's reset to baskets. Help...I really need to make a decision so I can stop obsessing about this. Thanks!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between H VS2 and I VS1 once they're on your ears.

Some people have found that the martini style stretched their piercings, so I recommend the basket.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have a set of larger martini set earrings, just under 1ct per ear. While the large set has not hurt my piercings, they are much "stabbier" (new word) to sleep in and I wish I could go back in time and pick a basket. I may reset them.

I have an 8 prong setting, more a gentle bowl/rounded basket design, and they are super comfey.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had both and much prefer the basket with a flat surface to sit on the ear. Much more comfortable and I don't think I've lost any of the sparkle with the baskets. I personally would opt for better color in earrings than clarity but it really is a personal choice.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have had both and much prefer the basket with a flat surface to sit on the ear. Much more comfortable and I don't think I've lost any of the sparkle with the baskets. I personally would opt for better color in earrings than clarity but it really is a personal choice.

I like low colors in rings but agree on earring color. Nothing like a crispy white diamond on the ear.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go color (H) over clarity at these clarity levels (eye clean VS1 and 2s).

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
Hello @lhelms . I found myself in a similar situation as yours. I just bought a pair of 3 ctw round ACA studs from WF in I color VS1, and they are as white as can be. These are 1.5 ct each, and I could not be more pleased with the light performance of these stones. I went with the 4 prong basket with claw prongs. I will share that I truly now know that photos do not do well-cut stones justice, but I am providing them to you in hopes that they might help your decision making. They sparkle from across the room in brilliant white. I would highly recommend I color for ACA studs. Customer service is unmatched.

1710342038729.jpeg 1710342282043.jpeg 1.5_ACA_I_VS1-1.jpg
1.5_ACA_I_VS1-2.jpg 1.5_ACA_I_VS1-3.jpg 4-Prong-Diamond-Basket-Earrings-in-14k-White-Gold-by-Whiteflash_84707_86300_g.jpg 4-Prong-Diamond-Basket-Earrings-in-14k-White-Gold-by-Whiteflash_84707_86300a.jpg

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello @lhelms . I found myself in a similar situation as yours. I just bought a pair of 3 ctw round ACA studs from WF in I color VS1, and they are as white as can be. These are 1.5 ct each, and I could not be more pleased with the light performance of these stones. I went with the 4 prong basket with claw prongs. I will share that I truly now know that photos do not do well-cut stones justice, but I am providing them to you in hopes that they might help your decision making. They sparkle from across the room in brilliant white. I would highly recommend I color for ACA studs. Customer service is unmatched.

1710342038729.jpeg 1710342282043.jpeg 1.5_ACA_I_VS1-1.jpg
1.5_ACA_I_VS1-2.jpg 1.5_ACA_I_VS1-3.jpg 4-Prong-Diamond-Basket-Earrings-in-14k-White-Gold-by-Whiteflash_84707_86300_g.jpg 4-Prong-Diamond-Basket-Earrings-in-14k-White-Gold-by-Whiteflash_84707_86300a.jpg

Your new earrings are beautiful! Do you have any ear shots of them?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had H color ACA studs about 1.4 tcw and went to I color 1.8ish tcw. I really don't see any difference in color, however I'm not all that color sensitive. For me, I wouldn't choose higher clarity at the size you are looking at. So if you are wed to a 1 ctw then go for the H. But if you have a budget and want to maximize size, then I'd look for I color at VS2 or SI 1.
I have the 8 prong martini settings from WF and find them very comfortable.

lhelms

Rough_Rock
@Old_Fossil - those are stunners...thanks for your input. What type of backing did you put on those and do you feel like they straight? I've heard some people mention drooping with the basket style.

michkal

Rough_Rock
Ive had an opposite experience from the other posters! I’ve upgraded my WF studs a few times, and I love my correct ones. I had a j pair in 4 prong martini, I in basket, and now and F/G pair in a 3 prong martini. I love the martini setting because it lays flat and shows less metal. I notice a big difference in color, although I felt the I pair was white at first.

Here are pics of the J, my current pair, and the basket style I had last.
IMG_4829.png IMG_4828.png IMG_4935.png

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I too found I to not be white enough - just looking at my ears it wasn't noticeable but if I held up my engagement ring (F/G) or looked quickly at my pendant (G) I really noticed the warmth. I like a yellow gold setting, which goes nicely with my red hair, but want the stone to contrast with it. Anyway, in my recent upgrade I went up to an H (couldn't find a G at the size/pricepoint I was looking) and that seems to be my sweet spot of white enough that the contrast isn't bugging me.

I've had the 8 prong martini for both sets - a .66 ctw and now my .87 ctw pair - and I have to admit I preferred it on the smaller pair - the prongs were tinier. I may switch out to a regular 3 prong martini some day.

Anyway, it would be good to check your color tolerance/preference if you can, since it is so personal. I really do like how the 8 prong (and I believe the 6 prong) martini is curved. I happy to have slightly cupped shape earlobes so they nestle right in, and since there are so many prongs and everything is rounded at the back, they don't poke in to my piercings while still projecting minimally off my ears.

Old_Fossil

Rough_Rock
@Old_Fossil - those are stunners...thanks for your input. What type of backing did you put on those and do you feel like they straight? I've heard some people mention drooping with the basket style.

Thanks @lhelms we went with the screw backs. 1.5 ct per stud is a good bit of weight pulling forward, and we lost a JA H&A 1.5 ct screw back earlier this year, so bought another pair. We have the screw backs from WF, then another nylon slide on behind it. Not only does this keep the screw secure, but the extra weight counters the 1.5 ct stone on the front side of the ear lobe, and it works very well. The extra back isn't noticeable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results