shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with three stone ring settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who is looking for something like this to build-her-own. She wants the side stones to be set lower than the center stone, substanially lower so that it doesn''t detract from the center stone. She wants the ring in YG and the heads in platinum, or something along those lines. Around $1000 is preferrable. Both sides are diamonds.

Anyone with extra time want to help me look? I''m finding alot of typical 3 stone settings, but nothing really jumps at me yet. Not really into the typical 4 prong heads...she would like a 6 prong center and maybe 3 prong sides or similar. Not too much ''emphasis'' on the prongs, meaning nothing too bulky. Someone like a Leon Mege and/or Mark Morrell is slightly out of her price range, but some of their 3 stone ring designs are really beautiful and she does like them.

Ideas?!
2.gif

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Mara,

I think GOG has something your friend is looking for on their gallery page:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/pictures_of_settings.htm

Scroll down to Ingwer Three Stone Ring #45TW859 in YG with rubies. The two side stones look lower than the center stone.

HTH!

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wait. I just realised that this has the 4 prong heads, but maybe the setter can alter this?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm not quite Leo, she wants the side stones to be up slightly out of the band, but not even close to being on-par with center stone. And no baguettes. Mark Morrell had something similar but it was super pricey! WhiteFlash is also checking into pricing and options. But in the meantime trying to find other options!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is one example of a ring she loved, but was too pricey through LM. I too absolutely adore this side profile! Swoonable. *I* want this ring and I'm not even shopping! hehe.

leon mege crown.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is one I saw tonite...which is kind of similar (though these prongs are way too big!), but only sold as a full ring...not just a setting.
sad.gif

3 stone coronet 6 prong ring.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both settings you have posted, Mara, have the stone salmost lined up - the center is not at all high. What gives?

It sounds like your friends needs a remount - meaning a semi-finished setting with the side stones in place (or ready to accept them) and room to place a 'head' in the middle. I supose your ring started life like that too... With such a piece, the center diamond can be set at whatever height you choose since it is the 'head' that dictates this entirely. Jewelers order this kind of parts and put them together - probably the most cost effective way to deal with it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes neither of those pictures have the side stones low enough, but we like the heads themselves.

Other suggestions for custom work designers online that will not cost an arm and a leg, something to replicate possibly along the lines of the first LM picture, with the heads in platinum?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the hard wire I was talking about - Scarry? Actually, it takes a bt of work to turn these into a ring - but really not much. No need to have the 'designer' tytle to deal with this one. Some insistence to have the thing finished right (polished inside out, solder marks removed, etc. - basic stuff that sometimes does not get done) can turn the respective bits and piece into a nice ring. Add a good judgement on proportions (center stone size and height) and the ring can look nice.

Such pieces come ready made in yellow, white gold or plat. These pics are from Stuller, but there are even less expensive sources with no catalogs online.

This receipe is quite inexpensive, btw.

ug.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The LM piece... those are basket settings - I have never seen them made to hold the stones high and can't really immagine how would that work. Also, these are not ready-made (a tad out of fashion favor and hard to make without the stone at hand). Funny enough, the earlier versions of the Tiffany solitaire looked like that!

I am not sure wether the Lazare Kaplan solitaire is close to the LM look (above) - not a very high setting (not as low as one of those baskets though). It does have some of the feal... I supose. And there is a brand new example right on the "Show me the ring"
1.gif

wallace

Shiny_Rock
This is meant with sincerity - and not to be sarcastic - didn't demelza have a problem with her setting (although emerald cut) becuase the center stone was very high... perhaps the setting is available or the custom jewler who made it understands that particular preference. Just a thought. Not meant to be offensive.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thought this would be fun... an example of the respective 'basket' close up. The ring is a Tiffany solitaire (1910 version) and the close up is an earring of the same deign - quite common a tad earlier. The pictures come from now forgotten online locations.

Bsket.JPG

purduephotog

Rough_Rock
Mara-

Please keep me informed of your progress on this... I too am searching for a 3 stone arrangement, but I would like to put sapphires on the side (as you probably know ;-P).

I've yet to find a high center stone with two low ones arrangement; the prongs (as you've pointed out) are usually far too big.

limey

Shiny_Rock
Mara and all,

I too am in the process of searching for the ideal 3-stone arrangement for our 10th anniv. I want to use an existing pear matched with a "twin" as side stones to a modified square from GOG.

I will post a few pics of where I am headed and perhaps it will spark some ideas for you and your friend...

The image attached to this image is one I found on PriceScope, I believe it is a from Diamond Brokers of Florida. Personally I do not like the weight of the thick prongs but this is the overall shape I am going for.

I will post more images I have saved in a few....

cheers
Andrew

dboffinal.jpg

limey

Shiny_Rock
similar but a little more elegant...

this is from Verragio

verragioENG-0023.jpg

limey

Shiny_Rock
oh, and likewise I want do this ring in YG with platinum prongs for the center stone.

Imagine this Vatche with pears on the shoulders and more pave or channel set down the sides....

Vatche-924-b.gif

limey

Shiny_Rock
Verragio has loads of nice 3-stone rings

verragioENG-0170.jpg

limey

Shiny_Rock
their web site has even more...

http://www.verragio.com/

Verragioeu8010.jpg

limey

Shiny_Rock
I also found a bunch at Solomon Brothers, thousands to click thru!

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/

67479.JPG

limey

Shiny_Rock
Finally, hearts on fire has a bunch of nice settings for their round and dream diamonds. The images are not good on the site, too small but they have 3D movies that look good if you have quicktime.

to show YG band and white head, I like this one: Inspiration 1-stone

and here is the 3-stone version: Inspiration 3-stone

This final example is probably closest to the look and feel I am going for.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the additional suggestions!

I tried on the Leo 3 stone which is a YG body and a platinum/wg head and I really liked it, but I can't find any pictures online to show my friend. UGH!

limey

Shiny_Rock
Mara

There is a tiny pic from a poor angle here:
http://www.theleodiamond.com/leo-schachter-diamonds.html

limey

Shiny_Rock
Is this the one? Like I said, not a great angle.

leo-3stone.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes but the one I tried on had heart cutouts on the sides...really cute...but yes similar to that style. I have yet to find any pictures of it online & as you have already probably noted, the Leo website is useless for pix.

limey

Shiny_Rock
Mara

I have been building web sites for 10 years and the jewellery industry in general is woeful when it comes to web sites. Like there are 4 C's in diamonds there are 4 in web design - content, community, communication, commerce... and arguably a 5th - creative!

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results