carat
color
clarity

Help with this twinning wisp inclusion? *Pictures*

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm new here so please bear with me!

I'm hoping to pick your collective brains about a diamond we're considering buying.

The diamond is: 1.10c, si2, H colour, Ideal cut.

I'm not wanting to compromise too much on carat, cut or colour (H is as low as I'd want to go), whereas clarity is less important to me.

So this diamond seems like a good fit.

The problem is 5 large twinning wisps as seen in the diagram below. Can anyone help me out/alleviate my concerns as to whether or not this diamond is likely to be eye clean? Or any other problems that may arise?

I'm obviously not expecting perfection, (or anywhere near it), but I am concerned about the large size of the wisps. Unfortunately similar diamonds in my price - colour - carat - cut range are all si2's, and I thought this was probably the diamond with the "best" inclusions so far. I think I'd prefer wisps to feathers, cavities and crystal spots, large clouds etc. But I'm not sure if this one will be any better in reality.

So - what do you think? Do you think the wisps will be visible to the eye?

_197.png

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
Anyone?

Please...?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You really can't tell by the diagram - many wisps are transparent and can be hard to see, but then it is an SI2......

What are the rest of the specs (angles, table and depth, etc)?

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply :)

Specs are:

Depth %:

61.5%

Table %:

59%

Girdle:

Slightly Thick, Faceted

Culet:

None

Fluorescence:

None

Measurements:

6.62 x 6.66 x 4.08 mm

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to ask the vendors gemologist whether it is eye clean or not. We cant really tell you
much from the diagram.

You didn't post the crown and pavilion angles.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Is that SI2 grade from EGL or GIA? I had an EGL international SI2 that GIA graded I1 due to twinning wisps. You couldn't see them with the naked eye but you could with a 10x loupe. I never in a million years would have thought it would have gotten an I1 grading and I'm still considering disbuting it. But anyhow....I would want to see the diamond in RL. Also if it is EGL SI2 make sure they are pricing it as a GIA I1. Don't overpay for softing grading.

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
Sorry, here's the pic of the angles

It is si2 GIA rating

_198.png

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Do you have an actual picture of the stone?

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
No, no photo of the diamond unfortunately.

I imagine things would be a lot simpler if I did.

I am purchasing it from Blue Nile - not sure if they have photos of stock on hand?

I guess my question is really - based on the length of the wisps, is it likely that little white lines would be visible if you had a close look at it? The fact that there are 5 such long ones concerns me a bit. Is it possible that the "ideal" cut would make them less obvious?

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
Why don't you tell us your budget and wishes for a diamond? I'm sure we can find you some nice alternatives. Are you open to other vendors?

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Unfortunately I'm only looking at blue Nile- the diamond is an upgrade for the one I currently have, and so I can get a credit for it.

Budget is under $6000, ideally 1 - 1.2 carat. I don't want to go below H colour really, as colour is quite important to me. Would also like the ideal cut as I feel that is the most important aspect. I'm not fussed about clarity so long as it doesn't affect durability and is eye clean

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You said in 1st post clarity does not worry you, so choose a non eyeclean honest SI2 and get the most sparkle.
Photo's will not show the dulling effect of the twinning, and if it is really eye clean then it WILL be duller.

delight

Shiny_Rock
The diamond doesn't look like a good choice based on the information provided.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some people think I bang on too much about clarity that effects optical performance.
I buy and sell a lot of SI diamonds in decent sizes, and the idea that eye clean SI2's above 0.90ct are clever is stoopid.

twinnin_wisps.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Some people think I bang on too much about clarity that effects optical performance.
I buy and sell a lot of SI diamonds in decent sizes, and the idea that eye clean SI2's above 0.90ct are clever is stoopid.
Here is a good quality photo of what I mean - a GIA SI2. It is possible to take a photo that does not show the twinning wisps.
Cloudiness and chip possible feathers are other reasons why graders ding clarity.

twinnin_0.jpg

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help everyone.

Seeing as I can't afford a diamond with the cut, colour and carat that I want as well as something greater than si2 (si1 too would be pushing it!), what kind of inclusions should I look for that won't be too much of a problem?

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Suse_13|1375930061|3498701 said:
Hi,

Unfortunately I'm only looking at blue Nile- the diamond is an upgrade for the one I currently have, and so I can get a credit for it.

Budget is under $6000, ideally 1 - 1.2 carat. I don't want to go below H colour really, as colour is quite important to me. Would also like the ideal cut as I feel that is the most important aspect. I'm not fussed about clarity so long as it doesn't affect durability and is eye clean

Since you can only stick with BN (not our favorite vendor), I normally would do everything I could to talk you out of it.....Granted this stone is a J, it has strong blue fluorescence (which we love and can make the stone look 1-2 shades whiter), I'd suggest looking into this one:

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-j-color-vs1-clarity_LD01657245

Just an edit to show the difference between the first stone you posted and this one, the one you posted scored a 4.4 on the HCA and this stone I posted scored a 1.4 (you want to keep the HCA score under two, unless it's a branded hearts and arrows stone). Here's the link: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
What about this one?

1.03c H colour, si2, Ideal cut

Has feathers though, which is my concern

_199.png

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I should have specified $6000 AUD

:)

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Suse_13|1375931577|3498721 said:
What about this one?

The feathers could be an issue, and the table is far too big! We like tables between 54 - 57...some can be bigger, but 62 is way too big.

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
04diamond<3|1375931648|3498723 said:
Suse_13|1375931577|3498721 said:
What about this one?

The feathers could be an issue, and the table is far too big! We like tables between 54 - 57...some can be bigger, but 62 is way too big.

Drats!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
the more I'm looking around the more it seems you're going to have to bend somewhere....either change your requirements ( I recommend going down in color) or up your budget....

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
04diamond<3|1375932113|3498727 said:
the more I'm looking around the more it seems you're going to have to bend somewhere....either change your requirements ( I recommend going down in color) or up your budget....

What are everyone's thoughts on I colour...?

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Suse_13|1375932960|3498740 said:

I color would give you more options. I'll continue looking.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Suse_13|1375932960|3498740 said:

I color would give you more options. I'll continue looking. I'll also say that a J with strong blue fluorescence will look like an I...so I'd also recommend that option...

I'd ask about this one...even though they don't provide pictures, they should at least be able to tell you about the clarity and performance. If not, you'll just have to buy blind since you're not able to use a different vendor (although it's something we'd highly suggest).

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-j-color-vs2-clarity_LD03509896

Suse_13

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help!

I'll shoot them an email and see what I can find out

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1375941150|3498818 said:
If the criteria are from BN, no lower than H, +1ct and you want eye clean why consider I and J, even with fluoro?
there are options like this that have every chance of being good for e.g.
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-h-color-si1-clarity_LD03189883?track=rec
The feathers do not run across facet junctions, so no risk of chipping.

op-
I wouldn't consider this just because it scored a 2.6 on the HCA...since BN doesn't provide pictures, I'd rather suggest a stone with good numbers in regards to cut...a well cut stone will appear bigger and brighter so a well cut I or J may look better than some H's that aren't cut as well...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results