shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with this 1.2ct F VVS2. Worth buying?

apollohk

Rough_Rock
All,

First post and hi to everyone, I am just about to purchase a diamond for engagement, and want to find out if this is a good deal. A friend of mind referred to me a broker who has this stone on hand.

6.79-6.85-4.21

1.2 carat F VVS2 (Excellent x 3)

58% table, 61.7% depth, 34.5 crown and 41.2 pavillion

GIA /w Laser

He is offering it at $14,750, is this something I should go for, as recently someone commented saying "it wouldn't meet standards for lighting because of the crown and pavillion angle" but this overall seems quite an amazing deal..... Can anyone help out... Thanks!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
post the GIA report number.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
doesn't seem like an excellent deal to me...price seems comparable to online.

what are your priorities wrt cut/color/clarity/size?

apollohk

Rough_Rock
I wanted something around 1.15-1.3 VVS2-VS1 Color F

Excellent cut, this is the most important for me, followed by color. VS1/VVS2 either is fine and then the carat range.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
HCA results

Light Return Very Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 3.4 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

I would want better

apollohk

Rough_Rock
Yes I did notice the average hca report. So start looking around again I guess? Any recommendations?

apollohk

Rough_Rock
Does the flour significantly affect the brilliance of the stone?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of the time no. In the presence of UV source, it will glow blue like the water mark on a dollar bill. Medium blue will not be visible in most lighting conditions. Most indoor lights do not have a significant UV component to activate it enough to be visible anyway.

A very very small number can be over-blue, these will become oily/hazy looking in the presence of UV. So ask JA's gemologist to check for it.

More reading.
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/blue_fluorescence_diamonds

apollohk

Rough_Rock
Just waiting on an idealscope from ja now. I don't know if I can get an idealscope for the original stone, any other way if telling if it would be OK or not?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask if the store has an idealscope? Probably not but no harm trying.

Buy your own idealscope and learn how to use it? Cheap at about 25++ USD, compare to the amount you are going to spend on the diamond.
http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_order.asp

Or compare it side by side with a well cut stone, a GIA Ex/AGS 0 score below HCA 2?

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
What is your budget for the stone?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there a particular reason you are interested in such high clarity? Cultural or other reasons? I ask because some consumers do not know that clarity is not really related to the appearance of the diamond and its performance, especially above the VS2 level. You are paying a lot for the clarity of the stones you are considering and just want to make sure you know what you are paying for and it is an informed choice.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone-cold11|1311180160|2973052 said:
Ask if the store has an idealscope? Probably not but no harm trying.

Buy your own idealscope and learn how to use it? Cheap at about 25++ USD, compare to the amount you are going to spend on the diamond.
http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_order.asp

Or compare it side by side with a well cut stone, a GIA Ex/AGS 0 score below HCA 2?[/quote]

I would do this before excluding the diamond all together. You have seen it and we have not. It is a GIA Ex and so not a total dog -- indeed better than 90% of diamond on the market perhaps! The price is fair, not a fantastic deal though to be clear.

apollohk

Rough_Rock
[deleted]

apollohk

Rough_Rock
All apologies for not getting back to you sooner, given the time difference over here in HK.

-> OCGirl

My budget is around $14-17K USD.

-> Dreamer_D

To be honest, clarity comes lowest on my priority but just for a perfection reason I was looking at VS1 or above. This is mainly due to the fact that I didn't want to get a VS2 on the chance that at the time of certification it was a high SI1 that got into the VS2 bracket if that makes sense. I guess its just more of the fact that given how special it all means thats why I chose that clarity. But if in the instance everything else was perfect (proportions / cut / color) then I would seriously consider.

-> Dreamer_D

When the broker is back from Shanghai next week I will try an idealscope on it. Probably worth asking if he has a kit as I am not sure I can order one to Hong Kong before then. But as you say, probably worth a try and maybe I can see if I can bring him down on the price. What would you consider more reasonable?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results