shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with the Princess Cut diamond! (images attached)

cliff

Rough_Rock
Dear PriceScope community,

I am looking to purchase a princess cut diamond and hoping to get an advise on it. Here it is.
For some reason GIA report and Sarin report show different table size - is something wrong or its measured differently there?
Could you please tell your opinion on it? Thanks!

GIA
1.28ct
5.95x5.84x4.34
I/VS1
Table 71% Depth 74.2
Polish: Very good, Symmetry: Excellent

Price is 5.5K

Sarin_5.jpg
AST_GIA.jpg
IS_GIA.jpg
DI40XG_0.jpg
DI40X_0.jpg

cliff

Rough_Rock
Nobody shared his opinion.. Was the stone that bad? I thought it was not ideal but images still looked nice to my inexperienced view..

slg47

Ideal_Rock
i think it looks really nice! does it qualify for upgrade policies with the vendor? what did the vendor have to say about it?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice find! Is it a virtual you had pulled?

Ditto - ask about upgrade policies before you purchase.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Cliff,
I can't comment on stones of other sellers...but I can make some general comments:
Small variations on measurements is very common.
For example a Sarin scan might measure the table at 62%- GIA might call it 63%- much more than a few percentage points might mean an error someplace.
I'd check with the vendor in a case like that.

cliff

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the feedback! I'm relieved a bit now - fist time buying a diamond online and this one is my largest purchase so far. In regads of upgrade policy, it was from virtual inventory and I was told it would not qualify for an upgrade. Returns are accepted for a short period of time though.

On Sarin report, yes, they suggested GIA report must've been more accurate.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a very nice make, but not top of the line. I'm extremely picky with my princess cuts, and I like to see less green and more red in the ASET. But it's still better than probably 95% of princesses out there, and the price is good. For a branded AGS0 ideal-cut stone (e.g. ACA, Brian Gain, Solasfera, Infinity) of the same size, color, and clarity, you're looking at more like $7k.

cliff

Rough_Rock
jstarfireb|1314057736|2996955 said:
I think it's a very nice make, but not top of the line. I'm extremely picky with my princess cuts, and I like to see less green and more red in the ASET. But it's still better than probably 95% of princesses out there, and the price is good. For a branded AGS0 ideal-cut stone (e.g. ACA, Brian Gain, Solasfera, Infinity) of the same size, color, and clarity, you're looking at more like $7k.

Thank you for the feedback! Interesting, I didn't realize ideal-cut stone would be possible to get for just around 7K - thought it would be over 10.. Unfortunately, even 7,000 was a bit above my budget, considering another thousand for a setting..

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Yup, this one is around $7500:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7844/

It has a similar size, color, and clarity, and a fantastic ASET, the AGS0 grade, and the Solasfera brand name, but the price is of course higher. That's what I based the ballpark $7k figure on.

If you were OK with going down in size to 1.0 ct, Whiteflash has a bunch of ACA princesses in your price range (assuming that's $5-6k based on this stone's price). And they would qualify for the upgrade policy. It comes down to the size vs. cut issue. If it were me, I'd gladly take a smaller stone with a top-notch cut, but not everyone would make the same decision, especially considering the stone you picked out is no slouch in terms of cut. So it's a great compromise between cut, size, and price.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i would recommend looking into the solasfera princess like others have suggested. GOG has some videos so you can see for yourself the difference the cut makes, even compared to an AGS ideal cut princess. i found one video, but i'm sure there are others.

http://vimeo.com/10464275

i had a princess cut originally (poorly cut) and wound up trading it in for a round (OEC) to get the fire and scintillation i craved. i wasn't aware of/they didn't have the solasfera princess at that time or i might have been opted for that. personally, and of course this is just me, i would rather a smaller solasfera princess than any other because to my eyes, the cut is just THAT gorgeous! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results