shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with the Antique Diamonds in this 9ct Half Hoop1.50ct Trilogy Ring.

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Greetings, I purchased this Ring recently from a primarily Antique Jewellers totally fell in love with the Stones but it's 9ct Gold & the Mount is definitely Modern marked in my opinion, 375 for 9ct with a Faint Anchor Mark for Birmingham UK - Is it a case of the Stones being Antique but just in a more recent mount possibly a total replacement for a similar ring ? The Stones do have some wear that could indicate they are older than the Mount itself?

It was estimated at 1.50ct total weight, The chunky little Old Mines 0.35ct each & the centre around the 0.80ct mark, Or those were the Jewellers estimates - Would appreciate any further info & if you've seen similar pieces personally with Stones like this in 9ct?

AirBrush_20240227004455.jpg
20240226_171122.jpg
20240226_171119.jpg 20240226_171316.jpg

Attachments

• 20240227_145941.jpg
    20240227_145941.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 25

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! Love the cut on the center stone.

I can’t speak to this ring, however when I took my three stone Traub ring to the appraiser she said the mount was newer (probably 70’s) than the diamonds. I kind of wondered because the setting is 14k and not platinum as would be typical for OEC’s, particularly the center with a frosted girdle.

Maybe your ring is along the same story, someone had a ring with these old stones that was so worn that they had to reset into this ring so they could wear it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stones are definitely old cuts. More evidence that the entire ring is not original: the sides are a different era than the center. The sides a fairly wonky OMCs, likely from pre-1850s. The center looks later, early decades of the 1900s.

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Pretty! Love the cut on the center stone.

I can’t speak to this ring, however when I took my three stone Traub ring to the appraiser she said the mount was newer (probably 70’s) than the diamonds. I kind of wondered because the setting is 14k and not platinum as would be typical for OEC’s, particularly the center with a frosted girdle.

Maybe your ring is along the same story, someone had a ring with these old stones that was so worn that they had to reset into this ring so they could wear it.

Thank-You, That's what I had thought a new mount made in the fashion of an older piece but Dreamer D raises a good points about the older age of the side stones, If I'm honest I didn't really notice them all that much it was the Centre stone that drew me but now I'm left with more questions than answers with my little frankstein trilogy ring made from bits & pieces from different eras lol That's the magic of Antique Stones they always have a story to tell just wish I knew the one behind this one

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The stones are definitely old cuts. More evidence that the entire ring is not original: the sides are a different era than the center. The sides a fairly wonky OMCs, likely from pre-1850s. The center looks later, early decades of the 1900s.

Was going to say the exact same thing! I love the checkered pattern of that center stone. The sides are definitely more rustic. Stones are beautiful!

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Was going to say the exact same thing! I love the checkered pattern of that center stone. The sides are definitely more rustic. Stones are beautiful!

Thank-You lol That's a nicer word for it rustic they certainly are that! Quite the juxtaposition next to the sharper optics of the central stone

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Certainly! When dealing with antique diamonds, particularly in a piece like a 9ct half hoop trilogy ring, there are several aspects to consider:

1. **Diamond Cut**: Antique diamonds may have different cuts than modern diamonds. Common antique cuts include Old European Cut, Old Mine Cut, and Rose Cut. Each cut has its own unique charm and reflects the craftsmanship of its era.

2. **Diamond Color**: Antique diamonds might exhibit a wider range of color compared to modern diamonds. This is due to variations in the grading standards and changes in diamond preferences over time. Some antique diamonds may have warm tones, which can add character to the piece.

3. **Diamond Clarity**: Antique diamonds may have visible inclusions or blemishes, as the standards for clarity have evolved over time. However, these imperfections are often part of the diamond's history and can enhance its antique allure.

4. **Diamond Size and Weight**: The carat weight of antique diamonds may be different from modern diamonds due to variations in cutting styles and standards. Antique diamonds were often cut to maximize carat weight rather than brilliance, so they may appear smaller than their modern equivalents.

5. **Setting and Design**: Consider the setting and design of the ring, as this can affect the overall appearance and value of the piece. Antique settings often feature intricate details and craftsmanship that reflect the style of the period in which they were made.

6. **Provenance and History**: If possible, inquire about the provenance and history of the ring. Knowing the ring's backstory can add sentimental value and appreciation for its craftsmanship.

7. **Authentication and Appraisal**: For valuable antique pieces, it's essential to have them authenticated and appraised by a reputable expert or gemologist. They can provide insights into the age, authenticity, and value of the ring.

8. **Maintenance and Care**: Antique jewelry may require special care to preserve its condition and beauty. Follow recommended maintenance practices and avoid exposing the ring to harsh chemicals or abrasive materials.

9. **Facial Tissue Holders

Overall, antique diamond jewelry like the 9ct half hoop trilogy ring carries a unique charm and historical significance. Appreciating the craftsmanship and artistry of these pieces can enhance your enjoyment and admiration for their beauty. If you have specific questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask!

Thank-You for such a concise explanation :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results