shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with "sparkle" of certain cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

plahen

Rough_Rock
Im looking for a .5 to .75 carat diamond D - F in color, and vs1 - vs2 in clarity. Can anyone tell me which cut would give me, for lack of a better word, "sparkle" in a platinum Tiffany mounting? Princess, Emerald, Radient or Round? I went to a lot of the mall stores, and the diamonds were so Yellow, or they only had them mounted in gold. I couldnt find the diamond I wanted in the store, they always had to order them. Does anyone have an opinon or preference about the cuts I listed. If you do please state your reasoning.

T.I.A.

Plahen

student

Shiny_Rock
Emerald cuts aren't very sparkly--they are elegant, but more sedate because of their simple geometry.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Student, you are right. Round is the most brilliant cut. Emerald is the least.

You can find Princess and Radiant that are nicely cut but majority of them are cut for weight retention and do not return much light and you can see through them like through the glass.

There are also several nice but less known cuts like Flanders, SpringCut or Regent. Check these links for more info on these cuts:

[/u][/u][/u]

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sparkle really equates to Scintillation and not brilliancy. You will find Radiant and Princess cuts have lots of Scintillation, but less total Brilliancy than Ideal cut round diamonds.

Even rather poorly fashioned princess cuts may sintillate quite a lot. They tend to be deep and dark, but the white lite that does come from these has lots of psrkle as there is some much contrasting black background in them.

It is a trade off one might decide to make.

plahen

Rough_Rock
I have done some searching, and I think I have changed my mind about getting a Princess Cut diamond. I think I will go with the round cut. Can anyone give me a good range for depth and table for a round?

Same thing for a radiant cut diamond.

T.I.A.

Plahen

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can do a pricescope search by 'cut quality' for rounds.

Radiants are one of the worst performing diamonds.

Also check out www.ideal-scope.com - the fancy page section.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Why do you feel that radiants perform so poorly? I have been considering a radiant diamond and I thought that it would be a fairly good alternate to a round.

Could you fill me in? Thanks.

bobby_t1

Rough_Rock
I would really like to know why radiants are the "worst performing diamond" as well as I am considering this shape.

Regent and Lucere are other diamonds have also peaked my interest,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results