shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with shape, please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wally100

Rough_Rock
I need some advice of the opinionated rather than the technical variety.
I have been looking at Emerald cuts for my girlfriend (soon to be fiance) for a while and have been following this forum for some time so I know there is no shortage of personal taste as well as technical knowledge.

I went with my girlfriend to a certain store beginning with "T" today, ostensibly to make sure about settings and shape and all, but also to stealthily figure out ring-size.

We had been fairly well set on a 1.5 Carat Emerald cut with ratio approximately 1.5:1 color D-G, Clarity VS2 or better, and I have been looking at stones that match that description with fairly good success (at places that do not begin with a "T").

As it turns out, however, we happened to have the (good?) fortune of seeing 2 E-rings, with nearly identical settings (classic platinum 4 prong with tapered baguettes on the sides), one was a 1.5 carat Emerald Cut, and one was a 1.5 carat round brilliant.

The problem is, now she''s not sure anymore because both rings looked fabulous, and I need help deciding on shape.

On the one hand, I love the sparkle of the round, and the fact that it is classically the most popular shape. However, I also really like the refined elegance of the Emerald cut, and the fact that it is not the same E-ring that everyone else seems to have. It is fairly clear that I am on my own from here, so I really need some input.

One more detail I should mention. I am sure everyone is familiar with the setting I am talking about, a platinum 4 prong with tapered baguettes (total cw about 0.45). The thing that made her really like this particular round was that the baguettes rose up practically flush with the table of the diamond, so it looked a little different from some of the other baguette settings we have seen with the baguettes sitting a little lower and the center stone set higher up. The emerald setting did not have the baguettes quite as flush with the table.

Feel free to offer any or all opinions regarding shape and setting. Thanks.

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
Hello there,

I am in the same boat as you all. I am currently trying to decide between the classic round (which I thought I had, but keep going back to...) or the simply elegant emerald cut setting shown here. I am sure whatever you decide your intended will be overly happy. Hang in there, it does get better,,lol.

ring22.jpg

detta

Rough_Rock
HEEELLLOOO! I LOVE that setting.
love.gif
Can you tell me where you found it/who makes it???? I just purchased a 2.13 g/vs2 emerald from diamondsontheweb.com that I love and have been debating on the setting. Seeing that setting sealed it for me. I have looked for that exact setting for a while now. That is exactly what I would like, but after spending so much on the stone, I didn't want to have a setting custom made.
I personally can appreciate a beautiful round stone. Simple elegance and a lot of fire. However, I am the kind of person who does NOT like to see someone else wearing what I own. My mother had an emerald cut, so I suppose it is partially a sentimental preference. I just think an emerald cut is very classy and understated. Of course, this is only my own opinion. Good luck[:appl]

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
It is a fabulous setting isn't it? Now you know why I keep going back to it. UGH. It is from 23rd Street Jewelers in Santa Monica. I orginally saw it in a Bride's Magazine add and fell in love with it. Problem is, husband isn't really a huge fan of the emerald cut, so we have been leaning towards rounds. We shall see. Here is the link to the ring. Take care. Good luck with your choice.

23rd Street Jewelers

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Next to the RB, the EC is my favourite cut, so I can understand your dilemma. The clean, simplistic lines of the EC are rather appealing. My suggestion, in terms of shape, would be to go with whichever shape 'speaks' the most to you and your girlfriend. Of course, if they both speak equally loudly, you've got a problem.
1.gif

I've seen good emerald cut settings, and not-so-good ones. The good ones make the setting look almost seemless. The not-great ones make the setting look almost clunky/blocky. I am not a fan of baguettes, so my suggestion would be to go with either a three-stone emerald cut ring, or a simple solitaire. Smaller pears might look nice, too.

If you're going for the emerald cut setting, it's critical that the craftsmanship be top-notch. JMH0.
1.gif

Best of luck with your continued search!

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Strange... I feel this sudden urge to visit Santa Monica... hhhmmmm.

I know I'm in the minority on this site, but I'm not a fan of RB's. Between the two- I'd choose the EC. I think it has a real elegance that always stands you apart from the crowd.

Best of luck whatever you choose. I'm sure your girlfriend will be thrilled either way !

wally100

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2003 10:19:38 PM canadiangrrl wrote:

Next to the RB, the EC is my favourite cut, so I can understand your dilemma. The clean, simplistic lines of the EC are rather appealing. My suggestion, in terms of shape, would be to go with whichever shape 'speaks' the most to you and your girlfriend. Of course, if they both speak equally loudly, you've got a problem.
1.gif

-

Yes, I wish one would speak more loudly than the other. I am leaning more towards the EC since it is a little different from what so many people seem to be wearing, yet equally beautiful. Considering one of my girlfriend's close friends just got a 2.4C RB as an engagement ring it would be nice to avoid the comparison issue also.

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
A friend of mine has an emerald with a smaler emerald on each side ... it's just gorgeous. Would you consider
putting emeralds on the side (like a three stone ring)? Otherwise, I think the baguettes would be beautiful as well.

As for the shape, it sounds like she liked round just this one time, but has had her heart on the emerald for a lot longer ... I would go with the emerald. I, too, rather have a shape that others don't usually have (I have a pear), so I think in the end, going with the emerald will be the better bet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results