shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with selection decision

Jmunk01

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am a long time lurker here and have learned a great deal. I am now getting close to ordering a e-ring and am unsure which stone to select. I have narrowed it down to three from the James Allen site. I have selected a 2mm comfort fit, white gold, four prong setting. If anyone can give me any feedback on which diamond they prefer and why (I'm still learning). Also if anyone has any other recommendations, I'm open to them. My budget for the stone is $3,000, Round, around 3/4 Ct. From the research I've done I should be able to get a middle of the road 3/4ct. round with clarity, color, and cut for $3,000, right?

Here are the diamonds I think are the best ones given my budget from James Allen:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1356064.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VVS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1177826.asp
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1396481.asp

I'm looking forward to hearing everyone input, and any recommendations.

Thanks.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
From the JA stones, I'd choose the I SI stone, assuming JA confirms it's eye clean. It's lovely and you're not paying for higher clarity which you can't visually appreciate.

Jmunk01

Rough_Rock
I have spoke with Jane at JA and she confirmed that the SI stone is eye clean.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Jmunk01|1313164737|2989357 said:

That would be my choice because, all else equal, you're not paying for something you can't see. In this case, I now see that the SI is slightly more expensive than the VS...it's .02 ct more though. Did JA make a recommendation from the 3?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Jmunk01|1313164737|2989357 said:

request idealscope images for all three and then post them here. also ask JA for their recommendation

Jmunk01

Rough_Rock
I have not asked JA for their recommendation yet. I will request the idealscope images. I always wonder what the justification in price different is, like when comparing the SI vs. VS. From what I have learned is it because the table % is slightly lower on the SI ?

Jmunk01

Rough_Rock
I'm waiting on a reply from James Allen with images of the SI in teh idealscope. I like that stone the best out of what I've seen in my budget. As soon as I get the Idealscop image I will post it up. Thanks !

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't score very well on the HCA (if I read the numbers correctly): 3.9 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

Have you thought about going to an H color to maximize cut?

Jmunk01

Rough_Rock
Central, thanks for the recommendation. I will have to inquire with JA is that is eye clean, I don't know how I missed that stone before. You think that feather is close enough to the edge that a prong could cover most of it up it not all?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results