shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with selecting >=1ct round LGD

dadan

Rough_Rock
Hi guys, long time lurker here and finally looking more in depth with LGD's and my first engagement ring purchase (I've been given the OK from my S/O 8-))

Looking at a criteria of greater than 1ct Round diamond to be put on a platinum band with a Tiffany setting. As I gather from PriceScope threads... I would like to prioritize the cut as of utmost importance.

I'm currently looking at these -- any suggestions are appreciated!
If there are any better diamonds around this price range? And I see conflicting pros/cons for CVD and HPHT LGD's... is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi and welcome to PriceScope, dadan!
Grab that GCAL 8X E VVS2...that's a heck of a price for that carat weight, color, clarity, and optical performance!
No need to worry about clarity in the VVS range: nothing will be visible without magnification.
Lots of folks (including myself) will usually state that VVS is overkill, especially at this carat weight realm, but the price is great: I checked a couple of sites that have GCAL 8X graded diamonds and the price of this one falls about the same as others in the D-F color with VS1-SI1 clarity.

Last edited:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grab that GCAL 8X E VVS2...that's a heck of a price for that carat weight, color, clarity, and optical performance!
No need to worry about clarity in the VVS range: nothing will be visible without magnification.
Lots of folks (including myself) will usually state that VVS is overkill, especially at this carat weight realm, but the price is great: I checked a couple of sites that have GCAL 8X graded diamonds and the price of this one falls about the same as others in the D-F color with VS1-SI1 clarity.

The E looks a little blue to me, but could be my phone. Running it by you, just in case.

dadan

Rough_Rock

Thank you! Is there any point in requesting an ASET and are there any problems that you could visually see on the stone?

Diamond girl says it runs a little blue? I’d love your feedback @DejaWiz

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Is there any point in requesting an ASET and are there any problems that you could visually see on the stone?

Diamond girl says it runs a little blue? I’d love your feedback @DejaWiz

Might just be my phone, but yes, it looks blue to me, and I would still request imaging. @DejaWiz is far better at vetting stones virtually than I am, so I will defer to him.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I just looked at it closer on my monitor with an IPS panel...there's no evidence of blue that I can discern...Kim N what do you see?
Look towards the edges of the crown and girdle areas (and especially along the girdle, itself) and you can see that there is the slightest of slight yellow hue which would indicate a Type IIa instead of a Type IIb.
Since this is a GCAL 8X diamond, you won't need to request any advanced images: everything that you need has been provided to you by GCAL, directly, so you're good to go!
These are all from their website for this specific diamond:

GCAL 8X 144 E VVS2.png

Angular Spectrum.jpg

Brilliance.jpg

Arrows.jpg

Hearts.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What images should I be requesting? Thanks!

Although not necessary, I would still request an ASET image....just my personal preference. I believe GCal uses their own type of scope, and I find it harder to interpret. You have Deja's seal of approval, so again, it's not really necessary.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked at it closer on my monitor with an IPS panel...there's no evidence of blue that I can discern...Kim N what do you see?
Look towards the edges of the crown and girdle areas (and especially along the girdle, itself) and you can see that there is the slightest of slight yellow hue which would indicate a Type IIa instead of a Type IIb.
Since this is a GCAL 8X diamond, you won't need to request any advanced images: everything that you need has been provided to you by GCAL, directly, so you're good to go!

GCAL 8X 144 E VVS2.png

Angular Spectrum.jpg

Brilliance.jpg

Arrows.jpg

Hearts.jpg

I'm still getting faint blue and no yellow, so probably my phone. Looks beautifully cut.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

GCAL 8X 144 E VVS2.png

Angular Spectrum.jpg

Brilliance.jpg

Arrows.jpg

Hearts.jpg

I don't see blue nuance for this diamond. I also agree with DejaWiz on the value for the money--it seems incredibly well-priced! I'd put it on hold as soon as you can.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I don't, but you can put the PriceScope referral on the end of the URL to your diamond to help out this wonderful website!

dadan

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the suggestions and the valuable insight. I have purchased the diamond and am now going through the process of custom creating a ring for it!

I will probably have you guys double check the CAD before I let them cast it!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the suggestions and the valuable insight. I have purchased the diamond and am now going through the process of custom creating a ring for it!

I will probably have you guys double check the CAD before I let them cast it!

Outstanding choice!

dadan

Rough_Rock
Hi guys!

Sorry to bother again. The CAD drawings came back and I was wondering if they look alright and if there’s anything wrong?? Still many more things for me to learn!

I was told that the prongs are unfinished and are going to be done by hand.

The ring is supposed to be a direct replica to this.

2FBF3E24-83E9-4395-8433-91437571409C.png

Thanks in advance!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys!

Sorry to bother again. The CAD drawings came back and I was wondering if they look alright and if there’s anything wrong?? Still many more things for me to learn!

Thanks in advance!

Looks spot on to me!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys!

Thanks in advance!

It looks just like the inspiration to me too. But I wonder if the setting would look more cohesive if the prongs were not a peg head and instead the head were more integrated with the shank. Just an example, maybe something like this.

head.jpg

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
It looks just like the inspiration to me too. But I wonder if the setting would look more cohesive if the prongs were not a peg head and instead the head were more integrated with the shank. Just an example, maybe something like this.

head.jpg

Love this suggestion - will leave everyone looking like...

Screenshot_20220802-191410.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results