shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Sarin analysis

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bruce Brown

Rough_Rock
I wish I''d found this site a week sooner. These forums are great. I feel like I am doing my shopping backwards - I should have asked these questions before I purchased.

I recently purchased a diamond from an online source, and the stone arrived today. The stone is a 2.03 H VSI round brilliant. My research indicated I should ask for a Sarin report. I did and they sent it with the diamond.

The problem is, I have no idea how to interpret what the Sarin report tells me. I know this report will give me an indication as to how good a cut this diamond is, and will also help assist me in determining if the price ($15,400) is fair. I have 30 days to return this diamond if I am not happy with it or if the price isn''t right.

The Sarin reads as follows:

AGL CRT VERY GOOD

diam. 8.36mm (8.32% - 8.41) 1.0% EX
depth 4.95mm 59.2% EX
crown 31.5'' 12.7% VG S/U EX
pavil 41.3'' 43.5% EX
table 4.90mm 59% VG
cutlet 1.3% small EX
girdle 0.5v.thin - 1.4medium % 1 VG

Thank you in advance for any help and insight!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Well, my opinion is: you could do better. The stone you mentioned has an EXTREMELY shallow crown.

I found this stone under the Expert Selection section of whiteflash...the proportions are MUCH better.

2.06 ct, G, SI1 = $15,298

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-504322.htm

Specs:

Depth:, 61, , /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Table:, 56, , /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Crown Angle:, 34.6, , /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Crown %:, 15, , /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Pavilion Angle:, 40.7, , /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Pavilion %:, 42.8, , /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Girdle:, Medium to Slightly Thick, , /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Polish:, Excellent, , /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Symmetry:, Excellent, , /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Culet:, None, , /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Fluorescence:, Faint, , /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Measurements:, 8.21-8.25X5.02,

Scores a 1 on the HCA - EX/EX/EX/VG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes the crown is pretty shallow but this may actually be a good looking stone. I have a shallower stone as well and it returns alot of white light to my eyes...not alot of fire. However, the price you paid IMO is too high for a stone like this. Especially from an online vendor. The HCA gives is a 2.3 (see below) which is pretty good..not ideal which would be under 2.0....but not bad either!

Also note that your spread on this stone is much bigger than a typical 'ideal'. A 2c stone that has a spread of 8.20 or similar vs your stone with spread of around 8.35 --yours looks bigger than a typical ideal 2c. That is what sold us on my stone..its a 1.23 that looks like a 1.35. Always fun to have the extra look...but you do sacrifice something in getting that--some fire and the excellent symmetry of an H&A usually.

In the end do you love the stone? I think you overpaid by a bit from knowing what we paid for our 1.23c shallow stone, and as AL notes, you can get a very good make cut for the same price from another online vendor--so why was yours so expensive? Or if you love the stone...keep it. I'm sure it's lovely.
2.gif

hca1.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I agree it *could* be a good looking stone......but the stone I listed has KILLER numbers. Granted, that doesn't guarantee anything, but the stone I listed shows he can get much closer to the "sweet spot" in cut for the same amount of money.....also better color vs. clarity.....

You'd just want to call WF to check and be sure it's eyeclean.

Bruce Brown

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 12/8/2003 5:00:51 PM aljdewey wrote:

Yeah, I agree it *could* be a good looking stone......but the stone I listed has KILLER numbers. Granted, that doesn't guarantee anything, but the stone I listed shows he can get much closer to the 'sweet spot' in cut for the same amount of money.....also better color vs. clarity.....

You'd just want to call WF to check and be sure it's eyeclean.
----------------

I called to see if this stone is 'eye clean'.

How noticable do you think it would be from an H VS1 to a G SI1? I don't know that the color will even make a difference as I could see nothing in the stone holding it up to a white background. I am a bit concerned about the VS1 to SI1 though. I guess if it is eye clean it really shouldn't matter, huh?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clarity doesn't matter if the stone is eye-clean...and it's a great way to maximize size or get better color. I would go with G SI over H VS anyday as long as it's eye clean.
1.gif
But keep in mind that these stones AL posted will look smaller--due to the diameter thing I noted above. So don't get too used to looking at your larger looking 2c stone because if you decide to get a more ideal cut one it will be smaller up top. It may not matter but figured I'd mention it because it may be a visible thing.

Bruce Brown

Rough_Rock
Thanks to those who have chosen to assist me. This sure can get confusing.

Some of you have mentioned the price I have been quoted is a bit high for this stone - how much high? The HCA numbers aren't bad for this stone, but the comment is made it is a good buy if the price is right. If I were to negotiate the price of this stone, where should I start? I don't want to insult the seller, and I know he wants to sell a stone.

What it starts to boil down to for me isn't how much it costs, but which stone is the best bang for the buck. For example, if the stone I originally looked at was sold at $14,500, I could evaluate the difference for the money when compared to the WhiteFlash stone is and how much it costs, and also its HCA numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results