shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with sapphire choice for ring

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am rather new here, but found you all while trying to decide upon an engagement ring stone. I have decided on a sapphire for the middle stone, with diamonds on the side. I found a setting I like and speaking with the jewler, she has two stones, one about 2.44 carats, untreated, but a bit on the darker side. She has a second stone that is just about 2 carats but a lighter color. The second stone also isn't certified, I think is the right term. Here they are.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

_35734.jpg

_35736.jpg

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Here is a little more on the first stone. "A traditionally styled three stone ring setting houses a center prong set oval sapphire that weighs 2.44 carats and measures 8.10 X 6.65 X 5.49 mm. The sapphire is from Ceylon and certified by AIGS as unheated. Superb oval brilliant cutting, excellent clarity and an intense dark blue color place this sapphire amongst the elite. The color is rich to dark in saturation and the stone's brilliance has the most electric cobalt blue flashes. "

Here is a little more information on the second stone. "this spectacular Ceylon sapphire that would now fetch over $3000 a carat. Simply put this is the finest. Color that is at the right hue, with rich ideal saturation level (no color zoning), optimal luster, precision cutting and superb bright blue brilliance. This 2.06 carat sapphire measures 7.7 X 5.9 mm"

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much is the first stone?

How much are these rings all together?

Have you seen these out of jewelry store lighting?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the darker stone but you do need to see it in other lights as it could be dark without the high intensity lights in a jewelry store. I know that a sapphire from "Ceylon" has a reputation as a fine origin-like Burmese rubies or Columbian emeralds. But does GIA certify the stone origin as "Ceylon" ? I ask because Sri Lanka has not been called Ceylon for quite some time. I don't see gemstones from Thailand designated from "Siam". I would question this jeweler.

phinlum

Rough_Rock
I spoke with them again last night. I tried posting pictures but they aren't sized correctly. The cost for the setting and stones is between $3200 and $4000. They have 4 sapphires that would work with the setting I like. The stones shown above are $3200 and $3400 I think.

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Hi, sorry to keep bugging you but sapphires seem to have a steep learning curve. The stone I am leaning towards now is this one. The total cost of stone and ring is going to come in just under $4000. The ring is from colorsymphony. I guess in the end the three stone setting in my very first photo and this stone size and color are more or less exactly what I am looking for, and the price is within budget. I am certainly open to other suggestions as far as stones and settings, but I start to get lost when looking for stones at one place and settings at another.

Well thanks for any help!
I hope you all are having a wonderful holiday!

stonecard2.jpg

stonecard.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results