shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with round Diamond Here are Specs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Alright-
Here is the fruit of many many hours of searching. Maybe I do not have enough info.

(GIA)
94 ct.
G
SI1
57 Table
59.6 Depth
6.36x6.39x3.80
VG
VG
No or faint fluorescence

The price seems to square with pricescope-a bit below in fact
$3,800 $3,700

Give me some feedback PLEASE.

Also this is from a reputable (2347 positive responses on Ebay-5 negitive) auctioneer. I intend to purchase and ship directly to an independent appraiser.

No restocking % fees for returns.

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
Refer to following thread/link:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-for-newbies.9335/

magna2

Shiny_Rock
spicolicpa,

Hard to tell how well the diamond may perform due to lack of info on pavillion and crown angles. Nor did you provide info on color and clarity so it would hard to assess whether the price is reasonable.

The thread that derekinla has provided gives you a good idea of the info needed before anyoen can really give an opinion that is worth a hoot.

rodent.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Spic, you finally got into buying a rock
1.gif

The proportioons of the crown and the pavilion on this stone are going to be slightly on the shallow side (which i prefer).
It is highly likely to have an effective crown pav proportion range.

But the symmetry could be wierd.
Stones in this shallowish range, with very little out of round can be cut from triangular rough and the symmetry can be quite wonky and still get a better (VG) gIA symmetry rating because of a Sarin over sight.

What concerns me is if you buy from E-Bay - can you return the stone????

You should ship it to one of the appraiser guys here first - they are really up to date with all the advances in cut quality - far more so than 80% of appraisers.

and thanks for asking questions on DT
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/2/2003 3:44:28 PM What concerns me is if you buy from E-Bay - can you return the stone????

You should ship it to one of the appraiser guys here first - they are really up to date with all the advances in cut quality - far more so than 80% of appraisers.

and thanks for asking questions on DT
1.gif
----------------

Well, that was my thought. You can't ship it *prior* to bidding. Auctions are contracts. Your fullfilling of the contract could be enforced regardless of the stone not being as described.

The only way that I would purchase a diamond on line is 1. I would be willing to eat the money.

2. I would get it in writing that upon winning the auction, the money would be sent to an escrow account of *MY* choice. The diamond would then be sent to the appraiser of *my* choice - o.k's by the seller before hand. The appraiser would evaluate the diamond. If I did not like what his finding were, I would have full right to return the stone. No quesitons asked.

The return thing may be problematic. If the stone checks out to be the specs specified in the add, you may have to keep the stone even if you don't like it.

I buy a lot from ebay. There have been a few items where I sent someone for a fee to do a condition report. The only way I would buy a diamond or expensive subjective item like a diamond from ebay would be the pre-view route.

I know on another post Dave Atlas will examine certain sellers auction for people for a fee.

That's the way to go if you really want to buy an ebay diamond.

Good luck. With the little information you provide, Cut Nut covered the bases quite well.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why bother with eBay? You can get a similar stone for a little over what you'd pay on eBay for that stone..with alot more mental security! I found one on GOG, brokered H&A for $4200 that was .90 G SI1. A tad smaller and a tad more expensive but what is peace of mind really worth?

I like eBay but not for $4k diamond purchases.
sick.gif

BTW it is hard to find stones around that ctw that are going to be well-cut with the Pscope diamond search....the GOG was the only one that popped up.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I agree.

But, to each his own.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advice.

This particular stone purchase is from an Ebay seller but is not a actual auction. I contacted him just to see if he had a stone around the .9 ct range. He found this one that was just sent to GIA for cert.

If I choose to purchase through him he offered to run it through "escrow" (BTW-=this service charges 2% of total transaction as a fee) and I will send it directly to a Certiifed Diamond Expert to have him run the tests.

I will think on it a bit more.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Cut Nut wrote:""But the symmetry could be wierd.
Stones in this shallowish range, with very little out of round can be cut from triangular rough and the symmetry can be quite wonky and still get a better (VG) gIA symmetry rating because of a Sarin over sight.""

This sounds kinda scary, if all is escrowed and right of return is written and agreed upon do you think I should get the stone and send it directly to an appraiser or just forget it?

I like my friends wonky and my life doesent have to be exactly symetrical but my diamodns gotta be cool

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hmmmm

There are plenty of bonafide vendors who will send a stone for a serious client to be appraised without you needing to jump through all these hoops at your risk and expense Spic!

Will this guy send you ideal-scope photo's?
If not - why not?
And if he is who I think he is, and says he does not know how to take photos then run fast
1.gif

ByL.jpg

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Cut Nut, I LOVE the Radiant you posted the pic of!! I just tried one on (also yellow), and HUGE (10 carats) for fun ... I love the cut glass look! Is it possible that my pear has the cut glass look ... that's what it looks like to me, and my stone gets complimented all the time.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
THis isn't the same guy who told you that you will see no difference between depth 63% & depth 65.5%. If so, I hope you run, not walk, away.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Also, is the 2% escrow fee non-refundable?

I may sound like a commercial; but, it truly is not. Have you thought about going w/ the more reputable vendors on this forum?

In the end, you may be throwing good money after bad w/ a guy on ebay.

Trust me on this one. Feedback is an indicator *but* is not always indicative of a stellar business. Many a times, I have been flat out lied to on ebay; yet, I don't leave neg. feedback for fear of retribution. I am not alone.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate your input.

This is NOT the guy that told me "depth % has nothing to do with the diamonds look.." shhesh what a jerk and its no wonder we have to be VERY VERY Skeptical of Ebay sellers....

I will ask him today to send me a ideal-scope photo of the diamond.

Depending on what he says will determine what course of action I take.

BTW:!!

I just did a run on pricescope for a similiar diamond and found one at a Pricescope vendor with very similiar proportions for $3,700.....

I better keep looking guys! Thanks for being my reality check!

Similiar DIamonds specs:

G

SI1

59.2%

57%

GIA

tn-m

no

vg

ex

no

6.36-6.41x3.78

$4000 per ct.

$3680*‡

Oh and I have really enjoyed posting here and DT, its just in me to question people over there that seem "Wonky"...dig that word

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 10/5/2003 3:25:31 AM Cut Nut wrote:

If it is a fancy yellow then it is very likely the same trick - works a treat on colored diamonds.----------------

Cut Nut ...
My pear is a white diamond, E color, but it has a tremendous amount of sparkle, which most pears I have seen do not have. It really looks like cut glass ... Most people have told me they have never seen a pear so sparkly, and I love the look. THANKS!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
That "shimmering" type of look, or broken up reflection pattern usually accompanies a stone with a shallow pavilion.

It reminds me of ocean waves. When they're out in deeper water, they are nice and regular patterns. When they reach the shallow depths of the beach, they break up and bounce all over.

So it is with this reflection pattern. When the pavilion is deeper, you have a more regular contrasting reflection pattern. When it becomes shallow, the pattern breaks up and creates this shimmering look that I've heard referred to as a "broken glass" look.

Many people enjoy this reflection pattern, and it can be a popular seller with radiants, pearshapes, marquise's and ovals. One of the strengths of the pattern is that it often eliminates the "bowtie" effect. It also is usually accompanied by a stone with a "spread" diameter, looking larger than it's carat weight would indicate.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Spic, why buy a "pig in a poke"? Unless the seller can furnish you with enough information to make a proper judgement about the stone, you'd be better off with an internet vendor who does as a matter of course, even if the cost is a little more.

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Rich and Cut Nut ..

My Pear is E, SI 1, totally eye clean, and I get stopped wherever I go. It does have that shimmering look like the picture Cut Nut posted of the Radiant. My husband spend a LOT of time on the web, here and on other sites, and brought the stone to an independent appraiser who preformed the sarin and brilliance scope tests on the stone. When my husband read him the numbers on the stone over the phone, he told my husband it would be a poor performer. But when he brought him the stone, he was soo surprised. I guess with fancies, you just never know by the numbers.

It's true that you can hardly see the bow tie, and only in certain lights and from certain angles. When I go to my local jewelry exchange, I am drawn to the Radiants that have the cut glass look, so I guess that's the look I tend to go for.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Well the Ebay vendor said that he did not want to get involved with a purchase that involved so many requests by the buyer.

Dont get me wrong he was cool and quite honest.

No big suprise I guess.

I shall keep looking and learning.....

Thats a beauty colored (fancy I think) stone.

If any of you guys live in California, regardless of your political views, express ya selves...VOTE on Tuesday!

Peace

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
he did not want to get involved with a purchase that involved so many requests by the buyer
-----------

Hahaha. A little too much work for him. This is a good example of the old school versus the new school of diamond vendors. The old school will regard you as a pain in the ass, while the new school will regard you as a sophisticated consumer.

Many of these old school guys are not knowledgeable themselves in the recent revolution in cut technology. Because they don't understand it, they tend to pooh-pooh it.

Eventually these guys will come around or die off, because the "revolution" is gaining strength daily.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone at Pricescope.
CutNut was nice enough to post my photo- thank you.
I request that if someone would like to use any of our photos that they ask first, and give the proper credit.

The photo Cutnut borrowed is a 3.50 Fancy Vivid Yellow.

It also seems that somehow it is implied that I was involved in this situation- this is not the case. We NEVER retouch my photos.

Best wishes to EVERYONE at Pricescope

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Heh, that's pretty funny
1.gif
, look who got busted instead
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results