shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

manechka

Rough_Rock
I have been shopping around for a ring for my diamond. I have looked at A. Jaffe and I really liked their designes (at least on the picture, haven''t seen in person). What are you thought on that? I really like bezel set diamonds (full or half) but someone told me bezel makes diamond look smaller althought I thought otherwise but I want to check with experts. Is it true that bezel might make the diamond look smaller?

Also, I saw the attached ring at A. Jaffe web site and I really like it since it''s very unusual. Does any one know anything about this type of set? Is it safe?

ME0743_t.jpg

manechka

Rough_Rock
Here is another one that I like with similarly set diamond.

MES044_t.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first too (not perfectly my type, but darn close). The usual argument against bezels is that they inevitably cover a little diamond surfacewhere they go around the girdle to catch the stone. The finer the setting, the less such coverage you get without sacrificing safety. Otherwise, bezels are the safest setting.

Wether this coverage makes the diamons small? I don't know, but surely bezels don't eat away at diamonds: it is true that a little gets covered (prongs, after all do the same, but in patches, and big, badly done prongs make big patches) bur then there is the ring of metal which outlines the stone and shows its diameter (actually a bit more) for the eye to gaige. I exclude from this discussion those bezels which have exagerated amounts of metal around the diamond for I have no idea what purpose
8.gif
. Thin bezels, I think, are great to show the size of the diamond
1.gif
. Personally, I do not like half bezels on round diamond because they distract from the stone's symmetry (only parts of the girdle get covered, so the remaining free diamond surface looks roval (roundish-oval) rather than round. I am terribly biased here: there is not one prong in my jewelry box, ad this is not bound to chage!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the second ring you posted - it looks very expensive. I am just a consumer but like you I had heard that bezel settings make the diamond look bigger.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I really like the second ring. I tend to choose ering settings with some accent stones, and this one is very unique. What is your center stone? I'm not crazy about enlongated stones, such as emerald or radiant, set side to side. I think they look more graceful following the line of your finger and, therefore, accentuating the length of your finger. Side to side seems to visually shorten the finger and widen the hand -- IMO.

Diamondlil
1.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
An aquaintance who is a diamond jewelry manufacturer showed me a setting much like the first one except with a round diamond and pave covering the shank and asked me to guess the weight of the center stone. I guessed 1.75 ct and was floored when she told me it a one carat diamond. I was having doubts about having something set into a bezel and she was proving a point to me that a white metal bezel visually extends the diamond's edge.

As for safety, its considered the most protective setting but cleaning can be a problem.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I tend to agree,bezel set stones do give the appearance of a smaller diamond, it also depends if it is set with the bezel surrounds all the girdle, or just part of it.
The ones you show are not as bad as the ones that are all around the girdle.
I like the second setting.

1.gif

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
I don't have any info for you, but am very interested in the responses you're getting because I was wondering the same thing. I've "fallen" for the Tiffany Etoile half-bezel setting (looks very similar to the first one you posted), and wondered whether it would make the diamond look smaller, but it sounds like that's not the case.

The biggest problem I have is that Tiffany won't sell their settings alone, so I can't have the one I really want. I'll have to go check out the AJaffe site and see if they have one for the RB.

Kris

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love that second setting, but I am a fan of big & bold.
10.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
The clean lines of the first one are nice.
1.gif
I find that the bezel settings I've seen in person have made rounds look bigger than their carat weight would indicate. (I say "rounds" because I've never seen a fancy shape in a bezel setting.)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely try on the A. Jaffe rings before making a decision--I liked the look of them and then when trying them on, found they were incredibly bulky (for my taste anyway)....so I was a little disappointed..the pictures and even in the case--they looked lovely. But on the hand, not for me!
1.gif

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
That second one is gorgeous. A bit rich for my lifestyle, but really beautiful.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
I have to vote for the second one because I love settings with accent stones.

But I was just at a bridal shower this weeekend and the woman I sat next too was covered in diamonds and wore a ring very similar to the first one as her e-ring. It was big, bold and breathtaking. I was trying - without her noticing - to figure out the size but couldn't. Whatever it was it was huge - or looked it - and was gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results