shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with preset preset analysis

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

schrum

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am new to the site and new to the diamond race... which is really confusing. I saw a ring on the web, which is out of an estate (and therefore already set). Is it possible to get some analysis done on such a stone ? The reason I ask is that it is a 2.6ct round H, SI2 and I really want to make sure (above the EGL cert) that it is a good stone.

Thanks.
Michael

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 4/6/2003 8:51:26 PM schrum wrote:

Hello,

I am new to the site and new to the diamond race... which is really confusing. I saw a ring on the web, which is out of an estate (and therefore already set). Is it possible to get some analysis done on such a stone ? The reason I ask is that it is a 2.6ct round H, SI2 and I really want to make sure (above the EGL cert) that it is a good stone.

Thanks.
Michael----------------

Michael: Hi. It is possible to get the stone analyzed, and sarin analysis can be run but the stone has to be taken out of the setting. Good Idea to get the stone checked by an independent appraiser. You will read many opinions on this forum concerning the EGL. GIA & AGS are regarded as the 2 strictest and dominently used grading Labs. I have read many threads concerning the EGL and some of their "loose" grading policies when it comes to color and clarity. Like I stated earlier it is a good idea to get the stone independently appraised along with a cert from either lab. I wonder how much the seller would be willing to accomodate your request in order to make the sale. Since its out of an estate sale chances are it might be more difficult to get the seller to agree to those terms. Hope this helps a little.

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Is it possible to get some analysis done on such a stone
-----------

Hi Mike. The majority of diamonds appraisers do reports on are mounted. It's easier and more accurate to do reports on them when they're loose, but a reasonably accurate report can still be done when they're mounted.

I provide all the cut figures for a mounted stone that I do for an unmounted stone, including total depth, crown height/angle, pavilion depth/angle, table size, girdle thickness, culet size, symmetry and polish. Some of those figures have to be estimated because of the limitation of the settings, but are still reasonably accurate.

The DiamCalc software is particularly helpful in this respect, because it can visually "recreate" the stone, allowing me to obtain reliable information which was impossible to obtain B.DC. (before DiamCalc).

On clarity grading, a setting is usually no hindrance except on very high quality stones (IF, VVS1-2, sometimes VS1). Below that, it's usually no problem nailing the clarity grade.

On color grading, I find prong-set solitaires to usually not to be a hindrance in nailing the color grade. Bezel set solitaires and prong set diamonds in rings heavy with metal or small diamonds are usually a little tougher, but not impossible. I still am usually able to keep my color grading within a one grade category, very seldom resorting to a two grade range.

Of course, if it's critical, the diamond can always be removed and reset. A little extra cost, often involving a new "head", but if it helps render a decision on a major aspect of an important stone, it's worth it. Sometimes thousands of dollars rest on the difference between one grade or another.

schrum

Rough_Rock
All,

Thanks for your responses - I will contact the vendor to find out what the options are. It may just make the difference between a sale or a pass.

Thanks again.
Michael
read.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results