shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with platinum setting questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Engaged

Rough_Rock
I am getting my 1.04 carat diamond set in a classic platinum Tiffany-style setting with 6 claws. I wanted 4 claws but the jeweller (who is with the same company we bought the diamond through over the internet)said that a stone that size would be too unsafe in only 4. Not being the jewellery expert (although my diamond knowledge has increased dramatically over the last few weeks while we've searched for it)I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could offer me another opinion on this.
Also, the jeweller said part of the ring making process would involve rhodium plating. I have read varying things about this (ie. it is done to white gold, it wears off etc) but am not sure what its effect on platinum is. Can anyone shed any light?
Thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is really no added security with 6 prongs than with 4 prongs. Usually the 4 prongs are heavier than the 6 prong styles so the durability becomes about equal. Just simply pick the number you prefer. There is no other reason.

6 prongs help to make an out of round diamond look more round. A well cut stone does not have that issue to worry about.

Rhodium plating makes all white metal jewelry look bright and fresh when new. It will wear off pretty fast on a ring worn daily, but it does look nice when fresh and costs little to renew if you want it replated later on. On platinum many jewelers perfer no rhodium and just make sure the platinum has been well polished. It will look just fine without rhodium unless some plumber (a bad jeweler) has used gold solder in making your ring which then needs rhodium to hide the yellowish solder joint. That is shoddy workmanship which should be rejected on a new piece.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results