shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! with picking diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jamesyichen

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I recently started the process of looking for the "perfect engagement ring" and found YOU GUYS. You guys ROCK!

I have a few questions:

1. I have found a round brilliant on Good Old Gold that I think looks nice. What do you guys think?
Here''s the link: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond.php?d=3361&shape=1&ctMin=1.35&ctMax=1.35&clarity=48&color=4&resultsColumns=268435471&singleResult=1

2. If a diamond only has an AGS report and no GIA, does that matter? Does that put me on more uneven footing so ro speak?

3. How important is the difference between excellent and very good symmetry? Does it really matter?

4. What is your experience with Good Old Gold? Do you consider them as having good deals and as one of the more venerable vendors?

Thanks guys! This is really a great forum :)
Jimmy

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi jimmy, your link''s not working for me. Can you try again?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/29/2008 9:29:52 AM
Author:jamesyichen
Hi everyone,

I recently started the process of looking for the 'perfect engagement ring' and found YOU GUYS. You guys ROCK!

I have a few questions:

1. I have found a round brilliant on Good Old Gold that I think looks nice. What do you guys think?
Here's the link: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond.php?d=3361&shape=1&ctMin=1.35&ctMax=1.35&clarity=48&color=4&resultsColumns=268435471&singleResult=1

2. If a diamond only has an AGS report and no GIA, does that matter? Does that put me on more uneven footing so ro speak? AGS and GIA are the 2 top tier labs, a diamond with an AGS report with the AGS0 cut grade is highly desired - no worries!

3. How important is the difference between excellent and very good symmetry? Does it really matter? It is said that the average lay viewer cannot see the difference between good and above for symmetry and polish. However those consumers who want to buy the superideal cut diamonds, expect excellent or ideal for polish and symmetry to be an expected part of the package.

4. What is your experience with Good Old Gold? Do you consider them as having good deals and as one of the more venerable vendors? GOG are a great vendor with an excellent rep here.

Thanks guys! This is really a great forum :)
Jimmy
Hi James and welcome!

I am just adding the link to this diamond, so my sidekick Ellen can see it! Also if you are seriously considering this diamond, you might want to contact GOG and put it on hold, to avoid lurkers grabbing it. It is a stunning diamond!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond.php?d=3361&shape=1&ctMin=1.35&ctMax=1.35&clarity=48&color=4&resultsColumns=268435471&singleResult=1

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a fabulous stone in a great size! AGS is a desirable grading lab along with GIA, no worries there! This stone has ideal symmetry, so I am not sure what you are referring to about that. It looks outstanding in every way. I bought from GOG and am 110% satisfied! Jonathan has a passion for diamonds and is a fine person as well.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 9:33:56 AM
Author: Lorelei

Hi James and welcome!

I am just adding the link to this diamond, so my sidekick Ellen can see it! Also if you are seriously considering this diamond, you might want to contact GOG and put it on hold, to avoid lurkers grabbing it. It is a stunning diamond!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond.php?d=3361&shape=1&ctMin=1.35&ctMax=1.35&clarity=48&color=4&resultsColumns=268435471&singleResult=1
Tank you!

It IS gorgeous. Put that baby on reserve while you think about it! And I''ve bought from GOG, they are some of the best to work with, and extremely reputable.
28.gif

jamesyichen

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for such speedy replies! I just talked to Jonathan at GOG - he is very, very helpful.

I placed this diamond on reserve and feel very good about it.

I am still wondering though: what are each of you looking at to evaluate this stone?
From my short time in searching, I have learned to look for a handful of things:
1. An excellent cut will remedy many things.
2. I was going between GVS1 and FVS2 but decided on the latter because I value color more than clarity and that combination is slightly less expensive.
3. I was looking for ideal proportions (table, depth, crown and pavillion angles).
4. I thought the most difficult thing to evaluate was "light performance." I know it sounds silly but there were so many different lighting conditions when I went to different vendors - white light, store lights, etc. In any case, I know it sounds silly because that''s why you buy a diamond, etc, but all the different lighting conditions threw me off for each diamond I looked at and I wanted something more or less objective (even if they had significant faults). So I ran across HCA and Brilliance Scope. This diamond scores a nice 1.1 - 1.3 on the HCA and also scored triple VH''s on the Gemex and I hadn''t seen that yet for a diamond online.
5. I am fine with symmetry and polish falling in the VG range. I have heard that symmetry and polish are somewhat subjective with regards to GIA grading anyways (unlike cut) and has really no visible difference in light performance from an Ex-Ex.

In any case, are there any other things I should consider more? This stone is AGS certified, from a very reputable dealer and I think for a very reasonable price. I sound extremely cautious don''t I :) I just want to make sure I guess that it''s perfect for my girl :) Anything NOT to like about this stone?

Thanks again!
Jimmy

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think there''s anything not to like!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/29/2008 12:48:23 PM
Author: jamesyichen
In any case, are there any other things I should consider more? This stone is AGS certified, from a very reputable dealer and I think for a very reasonable price. I sound extremely cautious don''t I :) I just want to make sure I guess that it''s perfect for my girl :) Anything NOT to like about this stone?

Thanks again!
Jimmy
Nope.
1.gif

I take it you mentioned VG symmetry and polish just as something you wouldn''t have minded, as this stones are Ideal.

Really, you are looking at the best of the best, there isn''t anything to not like.
emthup.gif

jamesyichen

Rough_Rock
Thanks - I was getting caught up in the details. I am going to see the diamond tomorrow and am very excited; I''ll let you guys know about the REAL thing. After everything is said and done, I''ll be sure to post pics. I''m gonna have either the Cartier 1895 solitaire w/ or w/o pave stones custom made. Thanks again. I''ve never been part of such a helpful and speedy forum.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That will be a gorgeous setting for your stone! You made a great choice!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d love to hear about your visit to GOG, and your thoughts!

jamesyichen

Rough_Rock
Hi guys!

I saw the diamond yesterday - it was absolutely gorgeous, the perfect one for her. I have seen over 40 loose rounds the past month and this one stood head and heels over the rest - just stunning. It sparkles like it''s on fire!

In any case, I am now officially a humongous fan of Good Old Gold. Their store atmosphere really is like family. Everyone was a pleasure to work with and you could tell all the other customers in the store were enjoying their experience / education (they were packed on Saturday). They have almost everything out for you to evaluate your diamond - ideal scopes, the GIA docks and even a flat screen TV where they magnify your diamond on screen for you. It was a wonderfully comfortable experience.

With all of that being said, I have another question to ask the group: What do you guys think of this diamond?
19.gif

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3911/

A family member of mine is considering it! It looks like another winner!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome! I knew you''d have a good time there, ya lucky duck.
9.gif
And, I knew you''d most likely love the diamond, so no surprises there either. It''s a beauty. Have you picked a setting out yet?

As for this other stone, definitely a winner! Have them reserve it if there serious.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to hear you had such a great time and loved the diamond, of course, how could you not???
3.gif

Ditto the one your relative is considering, get that baby reserved ASAP if they are serious, to avoid lurkers grabbing!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That would be "they''re".
gaah.gif
lol

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2008 8:42:34 AM
Author: Ellen
That would be ''they''re''.
gaah.gif
lol
* cuddles and comforts...* there there!
31.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2008 8:43:23 AM

gaah.gif
lol
31.gif
lol.gif
Tank you. I HATE when I do that.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2008 8:52:21 AM

Date: 3/3/2008 8:43:23 AM

gaah.gif
lol
31.gif
lol.gif
Tank you. I HATE when I do that.
9.gif
Tis easy done!
face20.gif

jamesyichen

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think about this one? Just to change things up a bit
41.gif

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4135/

I don''t really know anything about emerald cuts - just wondering what you guys think, personal preferences. Again, it''s for a family member.

As for the setting I''ve decided, I think I''ve decided!

I am going to have the Cartier solitaire 1895 (w/o pave) custom made. I chose to not have pave because I didn''t want to take the chance of "taking away" from the center stone. But then again, who would be "disappointed" with more diamonds
28.gif

Here''s a pic, just in case!

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/cartier%201895.gif

Thanks again
36.gif

BlueJeans

Shiny_Rock
That is a big beautiful asscher. I love it. Step cuts are classic, but a little different. Very pretty. Thats excitting when family members get engaged!

Great choice for a setting, it''s one of my all time favs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results