shape
carat
color
clarity

help with picking a ring....

hackinbush

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I am very glad i have come accross this site - such a wealth of information!!! i have spent the last few days skilling up on diamonds and am getting there.... but a little bit of information can be very dangerous i think!!

Me and my finance are travelling to NYC from Ireland next week to look for the perfect ring! A good friend of mine recommended yourselves, as you got her a gem.

The ring that I think suits me best is a solitaire - round, with channel setting (maybe with princess cut diamonds in the band for a bit of sleekness/contrast to the centre diamond?) A little bit of bulk is needed for my chunky fingers!

So the important bit. The diamond.. and the budget!

From my research on your site i believe cut is the most important. then colour, and not going below clariy VS1. Would this be accurate.? Is there more to the cut than "ideal"ness, do i need to worry about symmetry, polish? I am not sure what these refer to.

Would it be at all possible for me to get an ideal cut, with colour F, and a carat of approx 0.9 - in the setting I would like for approx $4000 ?

Is there anything else I need to be considering?

Thanks so much in advance. Any comments appreciated!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi and welcome! I think that you might want to move your post to the Rocky Talk forum...it might get more responses there. As for your budget, I think you're close. I checked one PS vendor and the stone looks like it will run about $3600. That doesn't leave a lot of room for the setting. Have you gone out and looked at diamonds and know what your tolerance for color is? If you got an ideal cut, G, SI1, that might leave a bit more room for the setting.

Good luck with your search!

hackinbush

Rough_Rock
thank you so much i will re-post.
i have no idea if i am colour sensitive!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results