shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with picking a diamond

mclarenf1

Rough_Rock
Hi - I'm new here. I plan to get engaged very soon and have been on the hunt for an engagement ring lately! Found this forum very useful to learn about diamonds/vendors. Have booked a surprise vacation for the engagement and all I need now is a ring (and a diamond)!

I've narrowed my search down to 0.74 Carat I-VS1 diamond based on what I can afford. The four diamonds below are all 0.74 Carat I-VS1 but they don't look the same at all in the pictures. I don't know how to tell if one is better than the other.

All four of these are also listed as ideal cuts and have a L/W ratio of 1-ish.

diamond_1.png

Would be extremely grateful if you can share your thoughts on these or even some general pointers on how to read these pictures.

Thanks!!!!!!

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
can't tell you much based on the pictures. need numbers and idealscope image~

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would request ASET images and evaluation for the first three (I think you can only request three). Or you could look at VS2 to have some more options?

LynzeeLeigh

Rough_Rock
I would request the images slg47 is talking about. Or base it on price. If they're all basically the same diamond, go with the least expensive if you don't notice enough difference to care. Are there other things that differentiate them from one another though? Like fluorescence. That's something to think about. I would also personally go down in clarity to get more options. You'll still be fine with a VS2. I'm getting an eye clean SI2 because I can't get a large diamond and didn't want to sacrifice any of the size I can get =)...plus, I wanted an excellent cut. No doubt about that.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Just from those pics, and no other info, I lean toward 3.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I mean, C. Post more info if you can get it in here before you leave...

mclarenf1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies. As many of you have suggested, I have since relaxed the search criteria a little and found two diamonds that I like the look of. Have requested idealscope (don't think JA have ASET images from what I've read) images for them and will post them here for your thoughts once I get it.

Thought they looked slightly better that my initial 4 choices, but what do I know!

diamond_2.png

Hope they turn out OK.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
JA will provide ASET for fancies and IS for rounds.

mclarenf1

Rough_Rock
OK. JA replied and said they couldn't provide the images until early next week as the diamond partner is closed until Friday.

At the same time, I have been hunting for a Tiffany Novo like setting for the diamond and came across Brian Gavin's website. I saw the Novela and knew I had to get it. It isn't a 100% like for like, but I think it displays the same level of intricacy in the prongs that one could see on the Novo. I then came across their square H&A diamond called the Quadex and was completely sold. Decided to go for that instead of the JA diamonds (so fickle, yes I know!). Still don't have a clue what the idealscope and fancy reports mean but I think it will be nice from what I've read about BGD hearts and arrows!

The setting:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5372

BrianGavin_NovelaSet1_020510.jpg

The diamond:

quadex.png
CD_AGS-104049559015.png

The quadex looks perfectly square but it is measured: 5.66×4.83×3.54

Does anybody know why that is the case? Should have asked when I was on the phone with them!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
mclarenf1|1307484147|2940172 said:
OK. JA replied and said they couldn't provide the images until early next week as the diamond partner is closed until Friday.

At the same time, I have been hunting for a Tiffany Novo like setting for the diamond and came across Brian Gavin's website. I saw the Novela and knew I had to get it. It isn't a 100% like for like, but I think it displays the same level of intricacy in the prongs that one could see on the Novo. I then came across their square H&A diamond called the Quadex and was completely sold. Decided to go for that instead of the JA diamonds (so fickle, yes I know!). Still don't have a clue what the idealscope and fancy reports mean but I think it will be nice from what I've read about BGD hearts and arrows!

The setting:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5372

BrianGavin_NovelaSet1_020510.jpg

The diamond:

quadex.png
CD_AGS-104049559015.png

The quadex looks perfectly square but it is measured: 5.66×4.83×3.54

Does anybody know why that is the case? Should have asked when I was on the phone with them!

the long measurement is the diagonal. the quadex is perfectly square.

wreckem

Rough_Rock
Let us know how you like the Quadex and how it looks in with the J color.

kamancali

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to see- did you get this rock? How's the J color? I'm thinking the same. Thanks!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I love it when they brand ideal cuts for fancy shapes. It helps take so much of the guesswork out of the game... yes you pay a bit of a premium, but you end up with what is likely a superior stone for that special ring.

It looks good. Do share what you think about the colour. Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results