shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Pearls for my wife..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ropes4u

Rough_Rock
My wifes birthday rapidly approaches once again I am seeking help from this forum. In the past with your help she has gotten blue Sapphire ring and a stacker. She has really loved the rings but I need to mix things up and am thinking about giving her Pearls from American Pearls. Specifically these I was wondering what you thought? I was debating getting her freshwater pearls but the price difference really is not what I expected in the <2k range.

Thank You again, John

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2009 11:15:20 AM
Author:Ropes4u
My wifes birthday rapidly approaches once again I am seeking help from this forum. In the past with your help she has gotten blue Sapphire ring and a stacker. She has really loved the rings but I need to mix things up and am thinking about giving her Pearls from American Pearls. Specifically these I was wondering what you thought? I was debating getting her freshwater pearls but the price difference really is not what I expected in the <2k range.

Thank You again, John
Truthfully, I have some akoya pearls, but am leaning toward top quality freshwater from here on out. I like it that the FW are solid nacre whereas the akoyas just have a bead nucleus with a coating of nacre. I''d recommend looking at the Freshadama line at Pearl Paradise. They also have top quality akoyas called Hanadamas as well, if that''s the direction you want to go. I''d go with an 18" strand if she doesn''t already have any pearls, probably 7-8mm.

Ropes4u

Rough_Rock
First Thank You to the Moderators for allowing this forum.

Secondly Thank You, DiamondSeeker2006, for your response I am going to try to hunt up a shop to compare the pearls in person. I will also look into the vendor you recommened.

John

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 10:48:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Date: 3/2/2009 11:15:20 AM

Author:Ropes4u

Thank You again, John

Truthfully, I have some akoya pearls, but am leaning toward top quality freshwater from here on out. I like it that the FW are solid nacre whereas the akoyas just have a bead nucleus with a coating of nacre. I''d recommend looking at the Freshadama line at Pearl Paradise. They also have top quality akoyas called Hanadamas as well, if that''s the direction you want to go. I''d go with an 18'' strand if she doesn''t already have any pearls, probably 7-8mm.

I agree whole-heartedly with Diamondseeker. Freshwater pearls are beautiful and I prefer them to Akoyas which can loose their nacre and become dull after awhile. Because FW pearls are all nacre, they practically glow with pearlesence. The Freshadama pearls look very impressive, I''ve not seen them in person though.

Ropes4u

Rough_Rock
After looking over ParadisePearl.com I think will order her a set of Freshadama pearls, bracelet, ear rings and necklace 18" as recommended. I only have one last question does the tone make any difference in value?

Thanks Again, John

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
What do you mean, color or luster? Some colors are more coveted than others (black for example), but like anything else, color is subjective and different people like different things. Luster does affect the value, however I believe all of the Freshadamas have fantastic luster (because of the nacre thing again) so this wouldn''t be an issue. Pearls are graded with multiples of "A", so a AAA is better/higher quality than AA and so on...Someone please correct me if I''m wrong.

jmtomaui

Shiny_Rock
I believe what you are referring to when you ask about "tone" is the overtone that the Freshadama can take? In white, the pearls can take on an overtone of rose, silver or ivory. The pearls are indeed white but there are variations on the color - of the iridescence - that make the white pearl appear more pink or silver or ivory. Just like you can''t walk into a paint store and buy white, you have a choice of eggshell, etc.

From what I have heard, if your wife is fair skinned, the rose or silver overtones tend to look best. If she is darker complected, the ivory or gold toned pearls are more flattering.

I don''t know if this helps but I''m sure that whatever you choose, she will be thrilled. The Freshadama pearls look to be a fantastic choice. One I hope to be able to make myself in the near future.

Julie

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 4:59:38 PM
Author: jmtomaui
I believe what you are referring to when you ask about 'tone' is the overtone that the Freshadama can take? In white, the pearls can take on an overtone of rose, silver or ivory. The pearls are indeed white but there are variations on the color - of the iridescence - that make the white pearl appear more pink or silver or ivory. Just like you can't walk into a paint store and buy white, you have a choice of eggshell, etc.

From what I have heard, if your wife is fair skinned, the rose or silver overtones tend to look best. If she is darker complected, the ivory or gold toned pearls are more flattering.

I don't know if this helps but I'm sure that whatever you choose, she will be thrilled. The Freshadama pearls look to be a fantastic choice. One I hope to be able to make myself in the near future.

Julie
Ditto, Mikimotos overtone tend to be rose where as Tiffany's brand tends to be a silver overtone. Mine are a rose/silver overtone.

I see the orient in my pearls from Pearl Paradise. I second Diamondseeker06 on loving the pearls from PearlParadise. If you look at the akoya bracelets there are 3 bracelets lined up http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=107 that may help with overtone choices.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cheap akoya pearls don''t have good lustre but American Pearl doesn''t sell those. I have pearl earrings and a single pearl choker from American Pearl and their pearls are absolutely breathtaking. The AAA would be gorgeous. I''d love it if someone bought me the necklace you first chose, John.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Ditto HH and DS about gem quality freshwater pearls.

I''m a big fan of freshwater pearls. The Chinese are producing them by the metric ton, and there is a nice margin for gem quality. You can''t beat having a solid nacre pearl with a luster that can match top quality akoya. The Chinese are doing amazing things with freshwater pearls, and if you can get your wife a gem quality strand, it will be a strand to last.

Akoyas aren''t harvested like they used to be, and we often see thin peeling nacre with poor surface quality.

For a basic white pearl strand, I''d do fw.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the rose overtone on my earrings and they are lovely! But I am sure I''d like the silver as well. The only one I would not choose is the ivory. That might be a good choice for a redhead, though.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 7:11:12 PM
Author: coatimundi

I''m a big fan of freshwater pearls. The Chinese are producing them by the metric ton, and there is a nice margin for gem quality. You can''t beat having a solid nacre pearl with a luster that can match top quality akoya. The Chinese are doing amazing things with freshwater pearls, and if you can get your wife a gem quality strand, it will be a strand to last.

Akoyas aren''t harvested like they used to be, and we often see thin peeling nacre with poor surface quality.

Definitely.

My akoyas were produced in the 1940''s and show no signs of peeling whatsoever - I believe at that point the pearls were left around 7 years to grow. Nowadays they are sometimes left less than a year.

Fine freshwater are gorgeous.

Streeter1

Rough_Rock
They were grown for a minimum of two years, possibly longer than three. Only freshwater pearls are ever left in as long as seven.

Today, akoya pearls are grown for six month to a year on average. There are some that are grown longer. They are known as koshimono. Koshimono akoya pearls have been left in the shell for two consecutive growing seasons.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 9:23:53 AM
Author: Pandora II

Definitely.

My akoyas were produced in the 1940''s and show no signs of peeling whatsoever - I believe at that point the pearls were left around 7 years to grow. Nowadays they are sometimes left less than a year.

That is why I''m quite jealous (in a very good way) of your vintage Mikimoto strand.
3.gif
You have a piece of thick nacre Akoya history--very cool.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 8:45:07 PM

Date: 3/5/2009 9:23:53 AM
Author: Pandora II

Definitely.

That is why I''m quite jealous (in a very good way) of your vintage Mikimoto strand.
3.gif
You have a piece of thick nacre Akoya history--very cool.
Yes, the smart thing would be to collect vintage akoyas, but that is hard to do without seeing them (as in buying on ebay, etc.).

Ropes4u

Rough_Rock
I think I have decided on a Freshdama set from PearlParadise, 18" necklace with a gold ball clasp.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=752

I only wonder about two things. Should I order silver, ivory or rose overtone. Right now she is pretty tan but her natural skin tone is pale - think fishbelly white.

Does anyone ever wear sets, or should I just get a necklace and earrings?

Again Thank You very much, John

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 4:03:10 PM
Author: Ropes4u
I think I have decided on a Freshdama set from PearlParadise, 18' necklace with a gold ball clasp.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=752

I only wonder about two things. Should I order silver, ivory or rose overtone. Right now she is pretty tan but her natural skin tone is pale - think fishbelly white.

Does anyone ever wear sets, or should I just get a necklace and earrings?

Again Thank You very much, John
I got the set from them; if you do the math it is cheaper in the long run to get the set and then the bracelet matches the necklace and you don't have to worry about matching later. Does she wear bracelets?? I like that I can wear the bracelet and earrings for something more casual and something more formal the whole set.

What color of hair does she have? This is faq about overtone maybe it will help; the post on pearl set talks about the overtone best of each complextion. http://pearlparadisefaq.blogspot.com/search/label/Freshadama%20Pearls I think rose overtone would be lovely on her since it is suppose to be flattering to everyone; if she has red hair I agree w/Diamondseeker than ivory would be the way to go. I went for the silver/rose so it wasn't to rosey. Maybe you could call them and ask what they advise; I talked to Kirsten and she was extremely helpful.

Ropes4u

Rough_Rock
Ivory overtone and the whole set. :O)

Thank You Again! John

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 4:39:36 PM
Author: Ropes4u
Ivory overtone and the whole set. :O)

Thank You Again! John
36.gif
36.gif
come back and post pics pls
1.gif
what a lovely gift!!! awww

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Hope your wife like them. We are hoping to see some pictures
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results