shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Oval Diamond

G-Stone

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I've been searching for an oval diamond for an e-ring for some time now. I've certainly learned more about diamonds in the last few weeks than I thought I'd ever need to know! I found the diamond linked below which comes in just above my budget of $3,500 and seems to be a great deal, but I'm wondering why it's priced so low compared to other ovals with similar specs?

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.01-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-7451949

The diamond will be in a yellow gold solitaire setting, I certainly don't need a D color diamond but it still seemed to be a great diamond compared to others in the price range. Any of you more experienced folks care to tell me if there's anything I should be cautious of before purchasing this?

The GIA cert is attached and I requested the ASET image which I'll post as soon as it's sent to me.

GIA_cert.jpg

Attachments

• GIA_cert.jpg
    GIA_cert.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 36

Athena10X

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn’t call myself experienced, but I wonder if it’s taking a hit due to the combination of being a D color with medium fluorescence. There are many who view such a combination (D-F) negatively, even though fluorescence may make a lower-colored diamond appear “whiter”. I’ve owned a G and F with medium fluorescence, and each was beautiful and I personally have no fear of owning a D with medium fluorescence either, but I would certainly want it vetted by a trained eye or an expert.

With this in mind, have you seen photos of the diamond? Can you confidently say that it’s not hazy? Medium fluorescence paired with certain inclusions, such as clouds and pinpoints, may cause the diamond to appear “milky”.

G-Stone

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I haven't seen photos of the diamond beyond what's on the JA website. Twice I requested through JA to speak with someone that could view the diamond in person but was each time directed to a "diamond expert" that only had the same JA photos to go off of, I didn't get any information from them that I couldn't ascertain myself.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Athena's hit the nail on the head re: fluor impacting the price - in which case you can enjoy the bargain you are getting, safe in the knowledge it will likely have zero impact on performance! :)

I think any inclusions within a VS2 should be safe from any risk of causing issues (but I am no expert, lol) :))

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
Good diamonds a good prices can be had on the virtual inventory online sites, if you are watching, know what to look for, and act quickly. Looking at the June 22nd date on the certificate, it seems like that is exactly what you did. Good job, it looks to be a very nice oval diamond!

G-Stone

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses. I received the ASET from JA, there's some light leakage near the shoulders but otherwise looks pretty good for an oval as far as I can tell. I decided to go ahead with the purchase, very excited to see it in person!

ASET.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the responses. I received the ASET from JA, there's some light leakage near the shoulders but otherwise looks pretty good for an oval as far as I can tell. I decided to go ahead with the purchase, very excited to see it in person!

ASET.jpg
As far as ASETs go for 'classic' ovals, that is a strong one IMO, so I hope you like it when it turns up!

Please do post pics if you are happy to do so :))

G-Stone

Rough_Rock
It came! Pictures don't do it justice, I'm really impressed and I think she's going to love it.
thumbnail_IMG_6053.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6056.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_6053-2.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6053-2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_6053-2.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6053-2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_6056-2.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6056-2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 11

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It came! Pictures don't do it justice, I'm really impressed and I think she's going to love it.
thumbnail_IMG_6053.jpg thumbnail_IMG_6056.jpg
Excellent!

Good luck for the big moment! :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results