shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with oval diamond details

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sharanr

Rough_Rock
I''ve been glued to the net trying to find a nice oval upgrade...can you please give me your thoughts on these dimensions.

Oval Diamond Details:
Item No.: 7335
Shape: Oval
Color: D
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Very Good Cut
Weight: 1.01 ct
Measurements: 5.37*8.08*3.30
Depth: 61.5%
Table Diameter: 52%
Crown Height: 16%
Pavilion Depth: 39%
Issuer: EGL

The stone costs $3972..is the cost reasonable for the stone and what do you think of the stone?

Thanks.

Happy Easter everyone.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Do you have an ASET image and pictures you could post--or even a link to the stone if this is an online vendor. Ovals (and other fancy cuts) are impossible to judge just from the numbers. Also, do you know which EGL lab certified the stone? That will make a difference in accuracy of grading and therefore, value.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Ovals (and other fancy cuts) are impossible to judge just from the numbers."

Not true. You can screen fancy shapes for problems with the AGA Cut Class system and it can be found on Pricescope or on gemappraisers.com.
I would not tell you that you can buy blindly when a stonre scores well, but there are many stones readily eliminated and those which score 2A or higher nearly always have many compelling reasons to consider them as good potential purchases. Most of the time, this includes "good looking" as one of their important attributes. There is no point in creating any screening tool which keeps bad looking diamonds in with the mix of the upper ranges of quality. Although someone may have an example of such a rare event happening, it is more a mantra of the industry than truth that numbers cannot be highly useful. "Useful" does not mean "perfect", but nearly every finely cut fancy scores rather well with parametric tools that are properly constructed. Nearly every bad fancy scores low with these same parametric tools. Somethign meaningful is taking place when one uses them with due care.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Thanks oldminer, I should have phrased that differently. I used the ACA cut class system when looking at ovals not long ago. It is a good tool for sorting through a lot of numbers. I was really trying to point out exactly what you said, that just having the numbers on a particular stone isn't enough information to decide whether to purchase, but will help someone figure out which stones to consider. Having physical information in the form of photos & images helps to narrow down the choices even more.

sharanr

Rough_Rock
Here as requested links to the vendor. I''d be grateful for any opinion.

http://www.diamonds-usa.com/diamonds/certificate-egl.asp?id=28628

http://www.diamonds-usa.com/diamonds/diamond_details.asp?cart=1&Did=28628

Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharanar, actually it looks like a pretty oval from the photo. What I would do is to ask the seller for some more photographs if you are interested in this diamond. Also as it is EGL graded I would make the sale final on the diamond checking out to your satisfaction in all aspects with an independant appraisal.

Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Also ovals and other elongated fancy shapes can show a dark area across the middle called a bow tie. Check with the seller if there is a prominent bow tie with this oval, some buyers don't mind them and it isn't always possible to eliminate them all together but they can be minimized if you look carefully and have an expert vendor who can inspect the diamond for you.

See this page for examples of bow ties.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ShapeTutorials/ShapeTips1/

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for chiming in Lorelei, I figured you and some of the others that know more than me would be around.

Sharanr, if you don''t mind me asking, how were you planning to set the stone? The length/width ratio and shape on this stone are really nice. It would look great as the center of a three stone ring.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 3:14:35 PM
Author: jet2ks
Thanks for chiming in Lorelei, I figured you and some of the others that know more than me would be around.

Sharanr, if you don''t mind me asking, how were you planning to set the stone? The length/width ratio and shape on this stone are really nice. It would look great as the center of a three stone ring.
Thanks for the links Jet!
35.gif

sharanr

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone.

I was planning on having it set in a classic Tiffany setting as a solitaire.

Unfortunately, I''m buying from the UK and independant appraisal might be a problem.

Before going any further, I wanted to make sure that the L/W, depth etc were reasonable for the price ($3972).

sharanr

Rough_Rock
I''ve also looked at another for $3692 although its a bigger 1.27 ct.

Oval Diamond Details:
Item No.: 6033
Clarity: SI2
Weight: 1.27 ct
Measurements: 6.29*8.85*3.44
Depth: 54.7%
Table Diameter: 61%
Crown Height: 14%
Pavilion Depth: 37%
Description: Laser Drilled

http://www.diamonds-usa.com/diamonds/diamond_details.asp?oldwizard=empty&wizard=Diamonds&Did=27027&MDSID=3

Sorry but I''m not sure how to post a link that you can simply click on.

I''d e grateful for your opinion on the stone please.

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 3:27:08 PM
Author: sharanr
Thanks everyone.

I was planning on having it set in a classic Tiffany setting as a solitaire.

Unfortunately, I''m buying from the UK and independant appraisal might be a problem.

Before going any further, I wanted to make sure that the L/W, depth etc were reasonable for the price ($3972).
I see, EGL labs are considered to grade less strictly in some cases than GIA, hence the suggestion of an independant appraisal to make sure the colour and clarity check out. You might be able to discuss this with the seller and a return policy should still apply so you can get the diamond checked out, just tell them your situation and they might be able to accomodate you with a bit of extra time on the return policy to give you the chance to get the diamond evaluated. Choosing a fancy shape very much comes down to personal preference, if it appeals to you from the photo provided, I would ask the vendor if they could email you a couple more photos and maybe if they can provide an ASET image of the oval. This helps to evaluate the quality of the light return of the diamond, this tutorial explains further.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 3:32:58 PM
I've also looked at another for $3692 although its a bigger 1.27 ct.

Oval Diamond Details:
Item No.: 6033
Clarity: SI2
Weight: 1.27 ct
Measurements: 6.29*8.85*3.44
Depth: 54.7%
Table Diameter: 61%
Crown Height: 14%
Pavilion Depth: 37%
Description: Laser Drilled

http://www.diamonds-usa.com/diamonds/diamond_details.asp?oldwizard=empty&wizard=Diamonds&Did=27027&MDSID=3

Sorry but I'm not sure how to post a link that you can simply click on.

I'd e grateful for your opinion on the stone please.

Thanks
I will fix the link...

It says this diamond has been laser drilled. I will post some more info on this process. Personally I would rather have a diamond which has not been treated in anyway but this is a personal choice. The table size is also greater than the depth with this diamond, the reverse is preferable with the depth being greater than the table.
Scroll down on this page and it tells you more about the laser drilling process.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Clarity/ClarityEnhancedDiamonds/

sharanr

Rough_Rock
Thank you.

Its brilliant to have this forum to cross check...gives you that added peace of mind when you are parting with $$$.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/13/2009 3:39:11 PM
Thank you.

Its brilliant to have this forum to cross check...gives you that added peace of mind when you are parting with $$$.
Glad to help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results