shape
carat
color
clarity

Help With Opal Bracelet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Hello All,

My BF got me a lovely bracelet while in Australia. It is a tennis bracelet style, with 12 oval shaped opals, and 12 oval shaped white gold links in between.

It broke between one of the stones and one of the links almost immediately, and we got it fixed only to have it break in much the same way again. It wasn''t cheap, and I''m really sad that I only got to wear it for 2 separate half days!!! The last jeweler we took it too said that the mix of white gold used was too soft for the design or something, and that while set as is, it will just continue to break.

I''ve tried to post pics, and it didn''t work, so I''ll keep trying.

In the meantime, hopefully people can imagine what I''m describing?

So, my question is, how should I salvage the bracelet, or at least the stones? There are 12 small oval shaped stones, so it''s an akward bunch to try to use in another piece - couldn''t really be made into a ring or necklace, etc.

Should I have someone custom make a whole new bracelet and have the stones set into it? Or would this be ridiculously expensive? If so, what metal should they use? Sterling silver?

Or are there pre-made bracelet mountings that could be used for this?

Can anyone think of a good plan of attack?

Thanks!

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Here's one photo, closeups to follow....

IMG_1567.JPG

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Last pic. The bracelet was breaking right in between the opals and the links, where there was a very thin piece of white gold holding them together.

IMG_1569.JPG

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here's an unhelpful comment for you: That's super pretty, and I'm sorry it keeps breaking. I would be very frustrated if I owned that but couldn't wear it.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just a consumer but maybe the jewellers on this board can answer this? Is there anyway a backing with hinges could be put on the bracelet or would the poor quality of the white gold still make it break. Would this be a possibility or would it be cheaper to make a new bracelet?

Can someone answer the poster's original question about whether she should have it made in sterling silver?

Lovely opals and like the shape of the bracelet also.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results