shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with OEC proportions if you please!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Nala, really? That is amazingly nice for you to offer. I'd be very happy to have your eyes on it! It is Atlantis Watch and Jewelry
1631 Edinger Ave #104a, Tustin, CA 92780
They also have an eBay store (I think this is where @StephanieLynn saw it) and thought I'd ask to go through there if I decided to proceed so I'd have the 30 day return in writing plus eBay protections...
Ok. So it turns out that I’m not familiar with this shop. Lol. It is located in a high traffic area so I may not be able to drop in for a while. So Cal traffic is brutal and they close at 5:30 pm! I’m so sorry to have gotten your hopes up. Judging from the area, they seem to cater to a high-end clientele. I hope that helps.

kdee

Rough_Rock
@nala no worries and thank you for offering!
What do people think about the eBay option in terms of security to "give it a look-see"?
Also noticed this photo that is on the eBay store I hadn't seen before. @dreamer_dachsie is this helpful, is this a nailhead or maybe just normal obstruction from the camera? Screenshot_20190219-132814.jpg

kdee

Rough_Rock
Ah! In response to my stated concerns the vendor got back to me with a new, much better video and the information that, while still just an EGL, the stone was certified UNmounted. They offered to do the transaction through eBay with a full refund period of 14 days at a 10% discount rather than the 20% they were willing to do through the other channel. What say ye? I think this new video is quite fetching.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeahhhh that's the photo I was kind of expecting to see! It is obstruction, but so is a nail head (its just a term for a black center that kind of "eats" the light rather than reflecting it back at your eye). And all diamonds can show obstruction to some degree, but in well cut stones the obstruction is more pleasing to the eye because it shows a cool pattern (in the case or arrows) or is it otherwise dispersed among the facets. But a nicely cut stone won't look uniformly dark in the center even with super duper obstruction -- like, when viewed from 6 inches while take macro photo of your old cuts. I have photographed dozens of old cuts and the good ones don't go all dark in the center even if you try really hard.

Here are some examples of well cut oldies that I have had the pleasure of owning in the past. All photos taken from like 6 inches away and I have lots of dark hair to obstruct! These are the kinds of facet patterns you want to see in a straight on photo of a nicely cut old cut.

(Actually, mom mom still has this first one)
ddOEC3_1.jpg 004.jpg THREEoecearrings 014b.jpg earring OEC 8crop.jpg

In terms of the diamond you are considering, I was suspicious of an obstruction issue based on the first photo you posted (where I think the contrast has been tweaked to make the darks taupe and thus reduce the appearance of obstruction) and from the video, where even at that distance there is a little bit of weakness/fuzziness to the action in the center of the stone. So for me, all that combined, makes it a hard pass!

ETA: I just saw the second video. It's a little better. I dunno. That lighting is basically as good as it gets and the ring is being held very far from the camera and at an angle. The severe obstruction in the photo could be from horrific photography skills (maybe). My reservations still stand. It's up to you if you want to see it in person!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might still be the right diamond for you, at the right price point for you.
For the cost of shipping it both ways, worse case scenario, why not?

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
Difficult decision. You seem emotionally attached to this stone now. eBay have been great with me and any refunds/return cases I’ve had, so I would be mostly confident they will protect you.

The seller seems accommodating - maybe you could request very specific videos ie specify the distance, lighting conditions, angles etc.

If I were you, I wouldn’t purchase it based on the info provided. If the seller can provide a bit more, then I probably would as you seem to love it.

It also depends on your expectations. Maybe this is the stone for you after all!

kdee

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who has helped me think this through. I'm going to pass on it even though the seller has indeed been accommodating and willing to provide more info and a return period, etc. I realize that I'm feeling more stressed and anxious than excited about the prospect of making the purchase, and that's no fun! Thanks again and I look forward to the fun experience of ultimately finding "the one" with your help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results