shape
carat
color
clarity

Help With My Ring CADs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

Wow, this is such an exciting process. I thought it would be stressful picking out a diamond/ring, but now that I''m doing a custom design I''m actually starting to have some fun!
21.gif

So I finally got my first set of CADs from Quest today and justed wanted to see what everyone thinks. Keep in mind, the center stone will be an Asscher (see my last thread). The ring is modeled after the Tiffany Legacy, but I wanted an Asscher instead of their cushion cut. Plus, they charge an arm and a leg there, and I could get a lot more stone/ring through Quest!

FYI, the shank is 2.5mm, and all the diamonds are 1.5mm rbc (except for the surprise diamonds which are 1.7mm).

You won''t be able to see it in the CADs, but there will be underwires (to be handmade) with pave throughout.

Here are the pics...

SI_RingCollage1.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, the cads look great. I have know doubt that it will turn out beautifully. thanks for sharing with us. I love seeing the cads/waxes, the whole process leading to the completed ring.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
oooh, thanks for sharing!
That''s really cool.

Post more as the project evolves. This is very interesting!
Lovely ring you have chosen!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow they look great!!! Quest made my asscher ring and it is awesome. I can''t wait to see the finished product!!!

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Love it! What do you mean about underwires with pave?

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Lizz: Below the halo there will be underwires that form a basket and meet just above the suprise diamonds. Those underwires would be lined with 1.5mm rbc. Since the underwires would be handmade, they didn''t include them on the drawings.

I''m trying to decide if I want them to put in bars in the corners of the halo (Kaleigh, I think one of your posts discussed this with your ring). I thought it looked great on your ring! But then I thought that since the halo on this design slants down at an angle, it already forms natural bars. Just trying to figure out what would be best to really make the cut of the Asscher stand out.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s going to be a beaut! Nothing beats the combo of asscher center plus pave halo!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 11:57:27 PM
Author: rocketman
Lizz: Below the halo there will be underwires that form a basket and meet just above the suprise diamonds. Those underwires would be lined with 1.5mm rbc. Since the underwires would be handmade, they didn''t include them on the drawings.

I''m trying to decide if I want them to put in bars in the corners of the halo (Kaleigh, I think one of your posts discussed this with your ring). I thought it looked great on your ring! But then I thought that since the halo on this design slants down at an angle, it already forms natural bars. Just trying to figure out what would be best to really make the cut of the Asscher stand out.
I do have them on my ring. They are small and are a great look IMHO. Either way your ring will be amazing. How long until it''s completed??

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Kaleigh: Hopefully it should be done in 2 weeks. I just need to approve the CADs so we can move on to the next step.

mrssalvo, dbgaap, KristyDarling, Lizz: Thanks for all your comments! I''ll keep posting pics to keep you all in the process.

Princess V: I checked out your thread and your ring is BEAUTIFUL!!! Actually, all three rings in there were amazing! PV, btw, how wide is your shank? Mine is 2.5mm, but I''m wondering if the ring would look a little more delicate if it was 2mm. I just don''t want the shank to be so wide that it overpowers the halo.

Also, any ideas on how I could get a wedding band to sit flush with this ring? It has the surprise diamonds on the side, so I wanted to figure out a way to keep those in there. But I don''t know if I would want a curved wedding band. I guess I can always talk to Pete too and see if he has any ideas.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Hi rocketman! Glad you enjoyed my thread.. the width of my band is very thin actually they made it right below 2mm but it still feels very sturdy. Even though I have surprise diamonds, they are bezel set feel free to ask Pete about my ring. I''ve tried on various wedding bands already, and they don''t sit exactly flush, but there is no noticeable gap either and I had that in mind when they were making my ring...so it''s perfect to me
1.gif
HTH
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Talk to Pete about that ASAP.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
CADs look STUNNING!!! This ring is going to be a knockout!!!
36.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Different arrangement of the bars allow a bit different pave "line shape", second one is more decorative i think.

barsunder1.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2006 11:01:35 AM
Author: Pricescope
Different arrangement of the bars allow a bit different pave ''line shape'', second one is more decorative i think.

Lovely ribbon setting!
30.gif

... but ss there a wedding band in sight? If not a problem, it would be quite a looker among the ''usual'' Legacy relatives
2.gif

Also, about the CAD from Quest... the halo has no thickness, I wonder if in practice it would add to the height of the ring etc. OK, got it that this is not a precise rendering of the finished object because the hand made parts are not in. Wish there was a way to make believable sketches for these virtual custom orders. Could be fun too!
9.gif

WBFlush.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rocketman, that is going to be a stunning ring!
36.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Rocketman. I''m glad you are enjoying this process. That''s what it is all about although sometimes it can be stressfull too. Quest will do a fantastic job (of course, I''m biased).

I have seen the halos with the corner bars and without. I think it looks great either way, and actually unless you are studying the ring within inches of your face, they are not noticeable. I would talk to Pete about wanting a flush-fitting wedding band so that accommodations for that can be made now.

Cant'' wait to see the finished ring!!!

rocketman

Rough_Rock
I called Quest today, ended up talking to Huan, and he said they could make the top of the surprise diamond sit flush with the bezel. Is that what you did with yours PV? I guess if there is a small gap it wouldn''t be that big of a deal. They could also try to make the bezel set into the band as much as possible so the whole bezel/surprise diamond is almost flush with the ring.

He also said they couldn''t get much narrower on the shank, since they could go with 1.3mm rb instead of the 1.5mm which would only buy me a couple mm. He said it wouldn''t really even be noticeable. PV, how did they get yours under 2mm? I wonder if it will make that much of a difference in the end anyways.

valeria101: I''m not exactly sure what you are saying about the halo. I guess I did notice in those CADs that it looked a little thin, but I think that with the underwires it will look a little more substantial. I was worried about that too when I first saw the drawings. I''m guessing this is what you are talking about?

Here''s a sideview of the Legacy. Mine should look similar to this one in the end (I hope).

Legacy_small.JPG

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 1:48:43 PM
I called Quest today, ended up talking to Huan, and he said they could make the top of the surprise diamond sit flush with the bezel. Is that what you did with yours PV? I guess if there is a small gap it wouldn''t be that big of a deal. They could also try to make the bezel set into the band as much as possible so the whole bezel/surprise diamond is almost flush with the ring.

Yep..that''s exactly how my surprise diamonds are and to me any wedding band looks as if it is flush but it''s not perfectly flush like in the pictures Ana posted.

He also said they couldn''t get much narrower on the shank, since they could go with 1.3mm rb instead of the 1.5mm which would only buy me a couple mm. He said it wouldn''t really even be noticeable. PV, how did they get yours under 2mm? I wonder if it will make that much of a difference in the end anyways.

I''m not sure...I know I was really meticulous when I said to try and get it as thin as possible. I know they used .01 ct for the melee and .02 for the surprise diamonds. You should go to a jewelry store like Bailey Banks and Biddle and you can compare the Ritanis (which are really thin) versus some other bands that are thicker and see if you can tell the difference.

valeria101: I''m not exactly sure what you are saying about the halo. I guess I did notice in those CADs that it looked a little thin, but I think that with the underwires it will look a little more substantial. I was worried about that too when I first saw the drawings. I''m guessing this is what you are talking about?

Here''s a sideview of the Legacy. Mine should look similar to this one in the end (I hope).

Underwires on the Legacy are pretty substantial..have you seen one in person?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2006 1:48:43 PM

Yeah...

Hope you are right about it - that this is mostly a quirk of the graphic representation.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like your halo needs a "skirt" for lack of better words.

Like these halos:
lovey5.jpg
1807F.JPG
sidey33.jpg
app333.JPG

Just my thoughts?

Scintillating...

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Hmmm...decisions decisions.

Scintillating: Yeah, I thought about that before when I first saw the CADs, that it did need a "skirt". It does look a bit "naked" in the drawings. I''m hoping the underwires will take care of that. Although I like the "skirted" look, I wanted this ring to look a little less bulky around the head. I''m thinking (or at least hoping) the underwires will take care of that.

PV: Yeah, I''ve seen the Legacy in person, although I think I''ve only seen one with a 0.5 ct center stone, so it was smaller than what I am putting together.

If it turns out like the Legacy picture from above, I think I''ll be happy with it, otherwise if it looks too thin...

I''m working with the guys at Quest right now to figure out if it will look closer to the picture once the handmade portions are added in.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2006 4:20:53 PM

Scintillating: Yeah, I thought about that before when I first saw the CADs, that it did need a ''skirt''. It does look a bit ''naked'' in the drawings.
The halo on the small Legacy rings is very slanted ... so there''s no wider edge - only a row of pave. It hides a fairly thick ''frame'' around the stone, not really a thin bezel.

But hei! this is Quest''s work to worry about.

WBFlushII.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know . . . this ring makes me think that maybe underwires might be too much . . .

sidey33.jpg

I LOVE checking out my Asscher from the side, but I have very thin double bezels. . .

Either way, that''s sure to be a GORGEOUS ring!

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Ok, talked to Quest and they reassured me that the halo and the underwire would be well proportioned. I''m having trouble just taking their word for it
33.gif
, but I know a lot of you have gone to Quest and have had great work done, so what do you think?

Also, I requested new CADs with the bars in the corner of the halo just to see what it would look like. It looks like they had to take out one diamond on each side of the halo to make it work. I think it looks a little sparse now. It probably looked better without the bars and with the extra stones in it. Thoughts?

SI2_RingCollage1.JPG

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I have total faith in Quest that they will make a beautiful ring for you. I see there are 4 less stons now with the bars. It''s probably as a result of the dimensions of the center stone how many will fit in the halo with the bars. I do like the bars, but not at the expense of losing 4 stones in the design. Back to no bars with 4 more stones.
9.gif
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2006 8:17:30 AM
Author: DiamondLil

Back to no bars with 4 more stones.

One more vote for the old way
2.gif

Is the shank going to be some sort of satin finish instead of pave (like the latest picture shows)?

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Old way.

rocketman

Rough_Rock
Yay, more responses. I thought you guys all forgot about me
8.gif
and that my thread already fell into PS limbo.

That''s what I thought too, so I had already approved the old CADs (the ones without the bars, and 4 more stones) on Friday. Yeah, sacrificing 4 stones to have the bars in there really didn''t do it for me, so more sparkles it is
9.gif
I think they had to do it because the corners of the center stone are cut fairly deep, so there isn''t much room along the sides to fit more.

Valeria: No, the shank won''t be a satin finish. Must have been something to do with their CAD program. I think they just wanted me to see how the new halo drawing would look. It will still be pave along the shank, about halfway down.

Can''t wait to see the waxes next.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
late chiming in but i''m glad you decided to go with no bars..that would have been my vote too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results