shape
carat
color
clarity

help with marquise ER

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you considered the antique marquise on JewelsbyGrace website. It is just under a carat and quite chubby.

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Thanks Niel, I have heard of David Klass! I think I can probably find someone locally though. My brother had a jeweller here get him a blue nile diamond and set it into an ER for his fiancé. They were very happy with his work and the price was competitive. I'm kind of hoping to get it all from the same vendor though, mostly cuz I'm lazy, ha ha.

How are you looking to set it? Because a thin girdle isn’t necessarily a deal breaker in and of itself. If you have a protective setting or one with a good number of prongs, you should be ok. Finding the right MQ shape/ratio seems to be more difficult.

I'd like a solitaire setting, 6-prongs, probably with v-shaped prongs at the tips (I've seen them called chevron prongs and I think most people don't like them! But I actually like this look, if they aren't too thick). Is there a better, more secure way to set it that would make the girdle thickness not so much of an issue?

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Have you considered the antique marquise on JewelsbyGrace website. It is just under a carat and quite chubby.

Which one? I see a few... I think my tastes run to a bit more of a modern look.

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
This is an image I found on pinterest (I hope that I'm allowed to post it here?), I've cropped it to highlight the rings. This is the look I am going for:

Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 9.59.27 PM.png

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the DiamondsbyLauren marquise. They are a very good vendor and fancy shapes are their specialty.

The setting you just posted has a gap between the rings because of the kind of Ering setting. The prongs on the ering swoop too low to allow a flush setting. You can avoid this buy a careful selection of the ering setting.

This style is gorgeous, but the low swooping prongs prevent the band from fitting flush.
upload_2019-2-17_7-33-30.png

This is the kind of setting you want to allow a flush wedding band. You could still ask that the V-prongs "suck in" a bit more to give more height.
upload_2019-2-17_7-40-39.png
upload_2019-2-17_7-44-17.png

This also shows a smarter set of prongs protecting the point with V-prongs.

upload_2019-2-17_7-39-54.png

I would strongly discourage having a local jeweler make a custom setting. If you can find a stock setting, fine. But, if you go custom, you MUST see actual settings that this jeweler has actually made that are full custom. Trust, but verify.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-17_7-36-9.png
    upload_2019-2-17_7-36-9.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 10
  • upload_2019-2-17_7-36-47.png
    upload_2019-2-17_7-36-47.png
    162.4 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2019-2-17_7-37-35.png
    upload_2019-2-17_7-37-35.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 9

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I had my Marquise ring made, I was advised to have 4 prongs and V tips in order to ensure it was secure. =)2

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
I'm okay with a small gap, I think. But yes, thank you for posting those pics of the settings, I have been looking at both kinds and wondering how a WB would fit.

I would strongly discourage having a local jeweler make a custom setting. If you can find a stock setting, fine. But, if you go custom, you MUST see actual settings that this jeweler has actually made that are full custom. Trust, but verify.

Why? Just curious. I would find a stock setting, I'm both far too lazy and too much of a control freak to for a custom setting. And unless I can save a significant amount of money or get something that I couldn't find otherwise, I really want to get the setting at the same place I end up buying the diamond.

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
When I had my Marquise ring made, I was advised to have 4 prongs and V tips in order to ensure it was secure. =)2

Yes, those are the types of prongs I would like to get! If you'd like to post pics of your ring, I would love to see it :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Niel, I have heard of David Klass! I think I can probably find someone locally though. My brother had a jeweller here get him a blue nile diamond and set it into an ER for his fiancé. They were very happy with his work and the price was competitive. I'm kind of hoping to get it all from the same vendor though, mostly cuz I'm lazy, ha ha.

I'd like a solitaire setting, 6-prongs, probably with v-shaped prongs at the tips (I've seen them called chevron prongs and I think most people don't like them! But I actually like this look, if they aren't too thick). Is there a better, more secure way to set it that would make the girdle thickness not so much of an issue?
That’s good! I’ve heard a lot of people in Canada say it’s hard to find a local jeweler that’s well priced and good. For sure would go that route

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results