shape
carat
color
clarity

help with marquise ER

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Hello there diamond lovers and experts, I'm looking for some help with my engagement ring and was hoping some of you have suggestions and expertise to share with me. I'm a newbie on this forum but have been reading and researching for weeks already. Besides pricescope, I've spent a lot of time on Blue Nile and James Allen.

So here's the deal: I have my heart set on a marquise diamond, 1 ct, can go a bit lower (prefer higher). I'd like to maximize size without compromising too much on quality (like most people from what I can tell!). So I need help with both picking the diamond and the setting and I'm humbly hoping some of you have some time to spare and share your knowledge.

For the diamond, I'm looking for:
- marquise cut
- approx 1 carat
- will go as low as SI1 ("eyeclean" unless an inclusion can be hidden by a prong. I have some flexibility here. I can even deal with small visible imperfections, like a tiny spot or two but am freaked out by things like "clouds")
- G or H in colour (I would go lower but I don't like it when you can see yellowing concentrated at the tips of the diamond which you can sometimes clearly see in pictures of I and lower colour diamonds)
- minimal, or no bowtie (this one is hard, I know. My understanding is that bowtie effect is often caused by elements of depth and is really just a reflection. How can I determine how much of a bowtie a diamond will have without seeing it in person?)
- a length to width ratio that makes for a fatter stone (around 1.7-1.85ish)

For the setting, I prefer platinum but will go with white gold to save $. I like solitaires (again mostly as a way to save $. If I'm honest, I love lots of bling-y sidetones but I'd rather focus my budget on the center stone). I would like a channel set wedding band to sit flush with my ring (so a channel set ER would be nice too, there are some nice matching sets on BN and JA but again, more $). My priority with the ER setting is to allow it to sit flush with the wedding band. I've analyzed BN and JA solitaire settings to death and am worried that the majority of them wouldn't sit flush with a channel set wedding band. Should this be a separate posting?

Budget: $7-8K Canadian for everything (ER and WB), so about 5-6K USD (could maybe go a tiny bit higher, say 6.5K).

I would be so super appreciative if anyone has any advice or would like to help me out :)

I'll try to find a couple pics of what I like and post them below if that would help.

Thank you!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I would love to help!
Are you opened to pre loved? Anything? Marquise are still not the most popular so you can get used one for a fair price if you work at it. Otherwise I’d not pre owed for that we can look at pre owned wedding bands to offset the price of buying a brand new e ring
What size is your finger?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, you are right it will be difficult to have them sit perfectly flush. It’s an oblong shape and you want it in a larger size - it’s the nature of the beast
If unavoidable - would you prefer a curved band or a slight gap

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man there’s a stunning one on eBay thay would be great but it’s fancy yellow.
I’m still looking until you tell me you don’t like pre owned. :)

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Oh wow, you guys are quick! Thank you so much for the responses so far!

Oh man there’s a stunning one on eBay thay would be great but it’s fancy yellow.
I’m still looking until you tell me you don’t like pre owned. :)

I don't want to go the preloved route because I was engaged before, to a guy I didn't marry. I gave him the ring back after we split. I know it's silly (maybe downright nuts) but I wouldn't be able to wear a preloved ER for that reason. I love fancy yellow btw, but wouldn't want it for everyday wear.

I doubt this is your style given your description, but if I was in the market for a marquise diamond, I’d snap this up in a heart beat https://www.diamondbistro.com/categ...ct-Marquis-Diamond-ring-in-Sapphire-Halo.html

Ok this ring is so stunning it kind of makes me want to forget about what I said above! I wish this was my style but I'm too much of a plain jane to rock this on a daily basis. Absolutely gorgeous though.

I saw this one on Instagram from Diamonds by Lauren recently and thought it was pretty.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/114ct-g-si2-marquise-diamond-r8529

Si2, but appears eye clean. David does very nice settings too. It looks like settings custom made for the stone start around $1k.

I have a ring from them and earrings too. Very pleased with both.

This looks really great. I love the description. I don't know anything about this vendor, will do some digging. Thank you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I’m sorry just found that in searching marquise. Lol. I still fully support your marquise dreams. (Though it’s very fat and would fix your flush fit problem)

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Not everyone likes preloved. That’s understandable.

Wildcard- this is a pear. But ugh it’s perfect
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...DiamondDetails&action=newTab&catalogView=true

OMG, I love pears! A pear was actually my first choice of diamond shape, however, when I tried one on, it just didn't look good on me. I think maybe its the asymmetry... not flattering on my slightly knobby fingers. But this is such a gorgeous diamond, I think I will try on a pear again. I'm going to go to Spence in the next few days to try on rings to make sure that what I think I want is what I really want (marquise, solitaire, channel WB).

And I’m sorry just found that in searching marquise. Lol. I still fully support your marquise dreams. (Though it’s very fat and would fix your flush fit problem)

The fatness is what I like about this pear! Ok, will definitely give pears a try on my fingers again. This is going to be hard, I get sidetracked too easily (and I like everything! give me all the diamond rings!)

What do you think of this one?
Is it too thin? It looks like a great performer and the price is nice due to the clarity.
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD03957042

Yes, too thin...

I’d spring for platinum and get this setting since you want a plain soli. They have 2 vintagy style rings I like too
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/petite-solitaire-ring-platinum_19010

Yes, I really like this one! I like how it's a subtle cathedral. I'm worried that the prongs are a bit low so it might rub (not sure if that's the right way to put it) on the WB? It won't be flush either but if I have to have a little gap that might be okay. Do I have to do anything to maintain platinum? Like dip it the way you have to dip white gold?

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
So here's a stone that I really like, mostly because it has the length to width ratio that I'm after. Has good clarity too. But it says that the girdle is "very thin to very thick". Is that a deal breaker? Does the "very thin" part make it more prone to chipping perhaps? And medium blue fluorescence, is that a thing I should worry about?

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-y...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh man good I’m glad you like that pear that b is perfect.
Do you have an iPhone? Beaumade is an app where you can photoshop rings on your finger. They have a chubby pear on there

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Yes, I have an iPhone, will check that out right now. thank you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don’t have to get your platinum redipped.

I’ve always been pro gap- if it’s small. It emphasizes the fact you’re wearing two rings. It’s somewhat effortless.

But if you don’t like that look they make rings with a slight v shape, I think those are cute and solve the issue of having a slight v shaped donut

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Beaumade is not available in Canada :/

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
I see what you're saying about a small gap emphasizing that you're wearing two rings. That is a very good point. I feel like it might be a bit more of a modern look as well... Ok, I think I can drop the obsessiveness over a flush fit...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beaumade is not available in Canada :/
Rats
I could do it for you if you want to post a pic of your hand.
Otherwise hopefully someplace has a stone that is THAT fat. Might be hard to find a comp around town tho

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So here's a stone that I really like, mostly because it has the length to width ratio that I'm after. Has good clarity too. But it says that the girdle is "very thin to very thick". Is that a deal breaker? Does the "very thin" part make it more prone to chipping perhaps? And medium blue fluorescence, is that a thing I should worry about?

https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-y...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab
No idea about whether ''very thin' is a problem, but I really like that one!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea about whether ''very thin' is a problem, but I really like that one!
I like the shape of this but i feel like no context I’d want the pear- if the asymmetry is ok with you. They both give off that chubby vibe

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly - if you have the money- I’d get the stone and get someone to custom make you a solitaire
Dk should be in budget and honestly the prongs BN puts on the pears or marquise look thick

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
So I just chatted with a BN rep to ask about the girdle in both the chubby pear and the chubby marquise (both have thin girdles) and the rep said she personally would not get a diamond for an engagement ring with a thin girdle.

mkbebe

Rough_Rock
Honestly - if you have the money- I’d get the stone and get someone to custom make you a solitaire
Dk should be in budget and honestly the prongs BN puts on the pears or marquise look thick

What's DK? Sorry

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also there’s a jeweler called id jewelry they are in New York. They might be able to get that stone from the same inventory blue Nile has and they could get a stock setting like Stuller

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I just chatted with a BN rep to ask about the girdle in both the chubby pear and the chubby marquise (both have thin girdles) and the rep said she personally would not get a diamond for an engagement ring with a thin girdle.
How are you looking to set it? Because a thin girdle isn’t necessarily a deal breaker in and of itself. If you have a protective setting or one with a good number of prongs, you should be ok. Finding the right MQ shape/ratio seems to be more difficult.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results