shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with Leo Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Larry33

Rough_Rock
I am planning to propose on 03/14 and I spent the past couple of weeks looking at rings. I reserved a Leo Diamond, 14 carrott white gold, three stone diamond ring, 1 carrott, with h color and V2 clarity. The price tag was $3500 but I had $1100 in Kay Santa Certificates so I will pay a total of $2600 with taxes and lifetime warrentee. I''m pretty sold on the ring but I just figured it wouldn''t hurt to get some feedback on whether this is a good price. I realize after reading your very helpful feedback that IGI is not as good as GIA and unfortunately Kay does not have GIA certificates at the store, I''m told I can get one for around $150. If anyone can give thoughts on whether $2600 is a good price for a 1 carrott, V2, Color H, 14 carrott white gold Leo Diamond ring than I''d really appreciate it.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I wouldn''t usually support people to independently go get a Leo diamond, since you have certificates, that''s a different issue.

Is it a round?

phildominator

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 8:51:42 PM
Author: JulieN
While I wouldn't usually support people to independently go get a Leo diamond, since you have certificates, that's a different issue.

Is it a round?

Maybe just use the Santa Certificates for the setting? Get the stone elsewhere.

$3500 for a 1.0 H VS2 seems too low, at least for a round, as well.

Larry33

Rough_Rock
I don''t have the specifics of the ring in front of me (I''ll doublecheck!) but I believe it was a princess cut. I''m also not really able to help with a visual description as I am blind and I had a female friend eyeing the rings for me. I am a law student and can spend $2,500 or $3,000 max. So I guess I''m wondering can I do better than a 1 carrott, three stone, 14 carrott white gold, clarity of v2, Leo Diamond ring for $2,600? Again a tag price of $3,500 and then taxes and lifetime warrentee of around another $340 on top of that. Thanks for the quick responses!
17.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2009 9:45:08 PM
Author: Larry33
I don''t have the specifics of the ring in front of me (I''ll doublecheck!) but I believe it was a princess cut. I''m also not really able to help with a visual description as I am blind and I had a female friend eyeing the rings for me. I am a law student and can spend $2,500 or $3,000 max. So I guess I''m wondering can I do better than a 1 carrott, three stone, 14 carrott white gold, clarity of v2, Leo Diamond ring for $2,600? Again a tag price of $3,500 and then taxes and lifetime warrentee of around another $340 on top of that. Thanks for the quick responses!
17.gif

OK, I thought it was a princess, because the price for a round would be much higher.

A three-stone, total weight of one carat for $2600 is probably what I would consider an average deal. It is a good enough deal if it''s exactly what your girlfriend wants, and not a good deal if she wants something different.

Larry33

Rough_Rock
1.gif
27.gif
i I’m not sure exactly what she is looking for (I’m trying to surprise her) but I have taken note of her observations of others rings and I remember her saying that she liked white gold, wanted multiple stones, and didn’t want a “big rock.” Those were the things I am building this around.

phildominator

Rough_Rock
Ask Kay if they are willing to give you full credit on the setting.

Buy the stone, put it in a basic setting...afterward, bring your fiance to Kay to select the perfect setting!

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Are the Kay''s certificates actual certificates that need to be used? Or are they coupons of some sort?

I''d recommend getting the diamonds elsewhere, and at most, getting the setting at Kay''s. Leo diamonds are supposedly quite nice and sparkly, etc., but I''ve heard they face up small. And you do pay a premium for them.

Definitely think you can do better in terms of diamond quality elsewhere. I just put this together really quickly to see how much something along the lines you''ve described would cost at James Allen. Total cost of this 3-stone ring with 3 round diamonds, center stone 0.62 carat, AGS0, H/SI1, sidestones of 0.3 carats each, is $2,885. Price for a 3 stone princess should be a bit less.

http://www.jamesallen.com/create-your-three-stone-ring/ring/item_260-486_design.asp?step=ItemComplete&cid=260

Larry33

Rough_Rock

I wish I had found this site before! So as I said in my initial post I’m planning to propose on 03/14 in Central Park, NY. I’ve got a room at the Waldorf Astoria, reservations at Sardis, etc. So as you can see I’m up against the time crunch. I had stock piled the Kay Santa Certificates and the way they work is that if you pay $300 you get $100 off. Not knowing much about rings I thought this was my best bet to get the best bang for my buck. Thank you all so much for your help with this.

I guess I have a couple of questions:

(1) what are people’s opinions as to round v. princess cut?

(2) Also, where can I go in or around Boston and get a better deal on a three stone, white gold, ring at or around $2,600 and have it in hand and ready to travel to NY on the morning of 03/14?

I do like the Leo diamond, as I said it is 14 carrott white gold, 1 carrott, clarity h, color v2, and princess cut. But saying that, I obviously want to do this the right way!
Thanks so much for the help!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I guess I have a couple of questions:

(1) what are people’s opinions as to round v. princess cut?
Well, it's personal preference. Rounds are classic and easier for us to advise on sight-unseen. The parameters for picking a nice princess are more difficult.

(2) Also, where can I go in or around Boston and get a better deal on a three stone, white gold, ring at or around $2,600 and have it in hand and ready to travel to NY on the morning of 03/14?

There are several places in the jeweler's building in Downtown crossing that might be able to do this, but I don't recall the names of the ones I'm thinking of- I'll look it up and get back to you. If you have enough time you might want to order an idealscope to help evaluate the light return of the stones

(4) I do like the Leo diamond, as I said it is 14 carrott white gold, 1 carrott, clarity h, color v2, and princess cut. But saying that, I obviously want to do this the right way!
You said this was a three stone? Is the center stone a 1 ct stone, or is that the total ct weight (ctw)? James Allen has a 1 ctw ring for close to what you'll be paying out of pocket and I promise you JA provides nicer stones.

If you decide to go with the Leo, I would ask them to bring in a few in your price range so you can evaluate them side-by-side and pick a sparkly one. Ask to walk around with the ring into different lighting environments, anything performs well under the store lights.

Good luck!

ETA:
JA 1ctw three stone princess, 18k white gold $2,575

Larry33

Rough_Rock
So it looks like I can do better than what I am doing at Kay even without the Santa certificates. Does James Allen have a better reputation on this board than Kay does? I’m guessing yes because James Allen uses GIA and Kay uses IGI and GIA seems to be a better respected evaluater of diamonds .

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 3:39:34 PM
Author: Larry33
So it looks like I can do better than what I am doing at Kay even without the Santa certificates. Does James Allen have a better reputation on this board than Kay does? I’m guessing yes because James Allen uses GIA and Kay uses IGI and GIA seems to be a better respected evaluater of diamonds .

Umm yes... after finding this site I would never set foot inside a Kay.. or Zales, or Helzberg, etc. I''ve tried going in out of curiosity and the sales associates drive me nuts when they try and sell me a dull and lifeless "diamond" ring, insisting it''s D COLORLESS! or INTERNALLY FLAWLESS! as if that by itself would convince me to buy it..

ok.. how do I say this nicely: their stuff is poor quality cookie-cutter POOP - not to mention way over-priced. And it doesn''t help the sales associates have no diamond knowledge.

RUN!! save yourself!! don''t get ripped off! forget your santa certificates!! if you insist on using them there you could maybe use them for plain wedding bands.. those are pretty standard..

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Yup. The Leo diamonds are priced way over other stones because they are branded. In your position (budget and time constraints) I would call a few PS vendors and see what they can do for you. I would try Wink Jones of Winfields (don't let the crummy website fool you), James Allen, Good Old Gold and Pearlman's. Tell them that you're from PS (some vendors offer a PS discount) and what your budget is, that you want a three stone princess in white gold that's at least 1 ct ctw and see what they can do for you. It can't hurt!

http://www.winkjones.com/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/
http://www.jamesallen.com/
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
Also, you mentioned the time constraints. I think all of the vendors recommended so far can ship you a diamond on the day you order it and you will have it the next day. So it might add one or two extra days to the process, but that should work in your time frame. If you''re also having it set, that would add extra time to the process.

Larry33

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys so much for your help. This list of links is great. Am I right in thinking James Allen is the only one of these links with an actual physical store in Boston? I reserved a Leo Diamond at Kay’s but I didn’t put any money down. They opened up a credit line with me and ordered the ring (they had the design of the Leo I liked but in yellow and not white gold so they had to order it). Do I even have to go to Kay and cancel it? They made me sign a form but they said I wasn’t committing to buying it. Thanks for all the help! f

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
James Allen in in New York. I would call Kays, someone else recently had problems with them concerning an open, but unused line of credit. I don''t recall the details, but I think they got charged something and it messed up their credit score.

James Allen I know can work quickly, they got a ring made for a coworker of mine within three days right before the holidays.

Larry33

Rough_Rock

Okay that makes sense.

These sites do look great and a much better deal than Kay’s.

Does anyone have the name of an actual store location in Boston where I could look? I know someone had mentioned the Jewelers Building earlier. I was looking to do a cash/credit combination as I only have a student credit card and couldn’t put the total amount on my credit card.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Sna77 has used Bostonian Jewelers. HudsonHawk got her bands from a place on the second floor right across from the elevator, I think it''s Bouvier Jewelers, and I think someone else has used Barkmanian recently.

http://bostonianjewelers.com/

C''mon Boston PSers, I know you''re out there!

Larry33

Rough_Rock
Okay thanks again for all the help. I’m going to spend Saturday in town at the jewelers building and see what I can find.

Larry33

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys so much for all your help! I cancelled the Kay’s order and I ordered from the most wonderful jeweler, Serjeos (serjeos.com). He’s a graduate of GIA and he makes every ring custom made and unique. He spent so much time with us and at no times showed any pressure and helped us find the perfect ring for the perfect price. I can’t recommend this guy enough.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results