color
clarity

Help with James Allen settings

TheLady

Shiny_Rock

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the presentation band either. I too prefer rounded knife edge and I don't like the head either.

The head on the other 6 prong is similar to Tiffany and flows better. It's the most expensive but also looks the best to me.

Not a big fan of the 4 prong comfort fit. The head is similar to the presentation ring and the shank looks odd to me.

As far as 4 or 6 prongs I recommend 6 prong without hesitation. The additional prongs add security and also help keep the stone looking round. Sometimes 4 prongs can make a round stone look squarish.

FYI, my wife wasn't sure about 6 prongs either. However on a trip she snagged a prong (pretty badly actually) and didn't notice until much later. We are both convinced the only reason she never lost the stone was because she had 6 prongs.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first one the best. JA's "presentation" solitaire is designed to be temporary (e.g. a way to give the ring without committing to an expensive setting), which is why it looks somewhat cheap. I think the first 6-prong one is by far the nicest one.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS. totally understand if you prefer not to go with pave, but I think this one is really pretty as well, and still keeps your stone as the star of the show.

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
The pave knife edge is a beautiful ring. I had my heart set on pave until I actually tried some on while looking at diamonds. I didn't say wow until the diamond was placed in a simple solitaire setting..something I thought I did not want.

I was also looking at these. I'm not sure how I feel about the basket prong. Does it cover more of the stone?

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-basket-knife-edge-engagement-ring-item-41048

Any thoughts on the pave prongs?

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...amond-pave'-basket-engagement-ring-item-61851

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
I like the first one the best. JA's "presentation" solitaire is designed to be temporary (e.g. a way to give the ring without committing to an expensive setting), which is why it looks somewhat cheap. I think the first 6-prong one is by far the nicest one.

Thanks. That makes sense.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pave knife edge is a beautiful ring. I had my heart set on pave until I actually tried some on while looking at diamonds. I didn't say wow until the diamond was placed in a simple solitaire setting..something I thought I did not want.

I was also looking at these. I'm not sure how I feel about the basket prong. Does it cover more of the stone?

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-basket-knife-edge-engagement-ring-item-41048

Any thoughts on the pave prongs?

https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...amond-pave'-basket-engagement-ring-item-61851

I like the intricate prong one (without pave). I would avoid pave on prongs because wearing a wedding band will be tricky (you don't want rubbing as it will hurt the stones and setting).

KLE

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that is my 2.01 ct upgrade, but I actually had the same exact setting with my last stone that was 1.2 ct. I'll attach that pic. 01AF9FC9-4FA1-4668-8764-863AB1D50DC7.jpeg

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
Yes, that is my 2.01 ct upgrade, but I actually had the same exact setting with my last stone that was 1.2 ct. I'll attach that pic. 01AF9FC9-4FA1-4668-8764-863AB1D50DC7.jpeg

Thank you. It's stunning.

KLE

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. It's stunning.

You're welcome! I hope it helps. I did the same thing trying to google and google "real" images. It's a pretty close "Tiffany" setting if that's what you're after. It's a bit more delicate though, I've tried on the actual tiffany and it just feels heavier and more substantial. Apart from that the differences are pretty minor.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
The first 6 prong one looks the best and has a similar style to the Tiffany setting. I'd also recommend the 6 prong as it is more secure and will make your diamond look larger. The 4 prong can make your diamond look smaller and more square.

If you scroll down and look at the reviews, other customers often post real life pictures!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome! I hope it helps. I did the same thing trying to google and google "real" images. It's a pretty close "Tiffany" setting if that's what you're after. It's a bit more delicate though, I've tried on the actual tiffany and it just feels heavier and more substantial. Apart from that the differences are pretty minor.

Just curious, was your JA setting platinum or white/yellow gold? I believe Tiffany uses platinum.

The difference being platinum weighs more than gold and the alloys mixed with gold, so if you have an otherwise identical ring the platinum will feel heavier and more substantial than a white or yellow gold piece.

This is one of the reasons I like platinum. I prefer the heft of it. I think it wears better too as a result, meaning it's more comfortable if that makes sense.

I also found tungsten to be heavy and comfortable to me. In the end I opted for Cobalt chrome which isn't as heavy. Also it's dirt cheap for man's band...a few hundred bucks. If I ever get an upgrade or replacement band I will go platinum or tungsten because of the weight. But I suspect my wife will be getting the upgrades, not me, lol.

KLE

Shiny_Rock
Just curious, was your JA setting platinum or white/yellow gold? I believe Tiffany uses platinum.

The difference being platinum weighs more than gold and the alloys mixed with gold, so if you have an otherwise identical ring the platinum will feel heavier and more substantial than a white or yellow gold piece.

This is one of the reasons I like platinum. I prefer the heft of it. I think it wears better too as a result, meaning it's more comfortable if that makes sense.

I also found tungsten to be heavy and comfortable to me. In the end I opted for Cobalt chrome which isn't as heavy. Also it's dirt cheap for man's band...a few hundred bucks. If I ever get an upgrade or replacement band I will go platinum or tungsten because of the weight. But I suspect my wife will be getting the upgrades, not me, lol.

Hi! My first one was white gold, the new one is platinum. It's definitely heavier, but I still found the Tiffany to be a bit heavier. I think it's a bit wider? Not entirely sure. I absolutely prefer the platinum for the heavier weight.

KLE

Shiny_Rock
The eternity band is the dream full eternity from Brian Gavin Diamonds

TheLady

Shiny_Rock
The eternity band is the dream full eternity from Brian Gavin Diamonds

Thank you. It is lovely. You have been a great help!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results