shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with inherited pearls

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone! I am completely ignorant about pearls, and I'm hoping you all can give me some info on how to tell what kind of pearls they are, or even if they aren't real.

I inherited all of my husband's grandmother's jewelry. She was a former Mexican nun, growing up in a convent until the age of 19 when she moved to California and married Grandpa. They never had much more than what they needed but lived comfortably. Having said that, she was gifted by the "Father" of the convent two very large gold pendants that were blessed by Pope John Paul in the 80's. Hubby wears one every day. It weighs over 40 grams. I have no back story about any of her other pieces. Hubby was her sole heir and he of course never really paid attention to her jewelry. He knows the pendant story because he often would travel to Mexico with her and stay in the Convent during summers.

I tell that back story because I have no idea if these are real, or if she bought them from the Avon catalog, lol. Grandpa may have bought them for her or she was given them by the convent. I'm hoping yall can tell me how to tell. The 3 strand's clasp is marked 14k. They are definitely not plastic, but I'm clueless beyond that. Thanks for any info you can share in advanced. 20211125_220050.jpg 20211125_220110.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The two inner necklaces are definitely freshwater pearls. I know that because of their off round, almost egg- like shapes.
The outer necklace could be akoya pearls, which are from saltwater oysters. Or they could be imitation. I can't be sure from the photo. The easiest way to tell is the tooth test.
Rub a pearl from the two inner necklaces on your front tooth. Real pearls will feel gritty. Then do this with a pearl from the outer necklace. If imitation, it will feel smooth against your tooth.
They are pretty, regardless!

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You can use a razor blade and gently scratch the surface to see if they are artificial or not. Real fresh water pearls will shed dust and when you wipe the dust off they doesn’t look different. The artificial ones will peel.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 Thank you for the advice. I definitely feel the difference between the two inner necklaces and the outer one on my teeth, so I guess they are imitation. I still love them so all is good. I've always heard of the tooth test, but without a reference point I didn't get it. Thanks again!

It's a basic test that really works.
Now you can go around checking everyone's pearls at the next holiday party......! LOL!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@stracci2000 Thank you for the advice. I definitely feel the difference between the two inner necklaces and the outer one on my teeth, so I guess they are imitation. I still love them so all is good. I've always heard of the tooth test, but without a reference point I didn't get it. Thanks again!

I love inherited jewlery
especially grandma jewlery
and i love pearls
what an interesting life your hubby's grandma must have had
did you know her at all ?

I especially love that you love all the pearls even the faux ones
some very famouse rich ladies in history have rocked imitation pearls so grandma (and now you) are in very good company
Princess Di, Barbara Bush, Jackie Kennedy, Coco Chenal and the beautiful Danish Queen Alexandra of Great Britain (Queen Victoria's daughter in law)

We look forward to neck shots and lunch dates with grandma's pearls

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds thank you for your sweet words!

I unfortunately never got to meet her. She passed away from lung cancer having never smoked a cigarette in her life 4 years prior to us getting married. Although she was not hubby's biological grandmother, she was the most special person in his life. She was never able to have children so he was her baby, so to speak. He spoke Spanish before English as a toddler and they were quite the duo. Every time they were stopped at the Mexican/Californian boarder, trying to figure out why this little Mexican lady had this extremely fair blonde and blue eyed child with her. Her ID said Maria and he called her "Tuti". It always threw them for a loop, lol.

I don't get a lot of opportunity to wear her pearls, but do have a few diamond bands and gold chains I wear often. I also wear some of her beautiful silk scarves and feel her approval.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
❤️❤️

So many happy memories in these pearls!! I do think that jewellery can speak to us… Thank you for sharing some of these lovelies’ stories ::)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds thank you for your sweet words!

I unfortunately never got to meet her. She passed away from lung cancer having never smoked a cigarette in her life 4 years prior to us getting married. Although she was not hubby's biological grandmother, she was the most special person in his life. She was never able to have children so he was her baby, so to speak. He spoke Spanish before English as a toddler and they were quite the duo. Every time they were stopped at the Mexican/Californian boarder, trying to figure out why this little Mexican lady had this extremely fair blonde and blue eyed child with her. Her ID said Maria and he called her "Tuti". It always threw them for a loop, lol.

I don't get a lot of opportunity to wear her pearls, but do have a few diamond bands and gold chains I wear often. I also wear some of her beautiful silk scarves and feel her approval.

What a wonderful reply
What wonderful memories your hubby has passed on to you
you must remember them, maybe write them down so someday when someone else wears them they get all those warn fuzzies from the dear lady and feel the love and approval from you too

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
❤️❤️

So many happy memories in these pearls!! I do think that jewellery can speak to us… Thank you for sharing some of these lovelies’ stories ::)

These are my favourite kind of threads on PS :kiss2:
(Well and the Mikimoto ones ;)2 )

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mrs_Strizzle how we going with those pearls ?
you wear any of them on christmas or new year ?
i feel they wanted to join the party

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results