shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with HRD Cert Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mindscape9

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

First, thanks to everyone for all of the great articles, insights, and tips that you all take so much time and effort into posting. I have been looking at diamonds for some time now and have found one that I am not able to get a handle on with the knowledge that I have gained through this forum. I was hoping that some of the experts on here could help. The stone''s specs are as follows:

HRD Cert
1.71 CT
H
VS2
Table: 59%
Depth 60.5% (I don''t have the individual crown, pavillion, and girdle % - just the totalled depth)
Finish: VG
Proportion: VG
Dimensions: 7.76 x 7.79 x 4.67

The HRD cert doesn''t give the crown or pavillion angles so it''s a little harder for me to judge this using the HCA. The current price for this stone is $12,350. Anyone have any opinions on this stone? Any way to tell if this is a well cut stone? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,
Mind

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mind,

HRD is a reputable lab. Assuming this is a round brilliant it could be nice but for us to help you sight-unseen we'll need more information. Without knowing angles it could have any number of different looks (see the rationale on this page).

Is it possible for your dealer to get a Sarin report with the missing measurements, or an ideal-scope or ASET image?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The depth is actually 60.1%, not 60.5%.

It is weird that you mention the depth separately, since HRD does not list this as a measurement on their cert. They do list crown height and pavilion depth, plus girdle thickness, so you should at least have those, or the dealer could easily give them to you.

Live long,

mindscape9

Rough_Rock
Paul and John,

Thanks for the responses. I previously just posted what I got from the dealer over the phone so I was a little incorrect, but now have the official report from HRD. Here is the official information

Round Brilliant
1.72 CT
VS2
H
Flour: nil
7.76 x 7.79 x 4.69
Proportions: VG
Girdle: medium 3% faceted
culet: pointed
table width: 59%
cr height: 14.5%
pav depth: 43.0%
Finish: VG

it also has a comment on the cert that says [1] hearts & arrows

Does this info help at all?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mindscape. Here's what I found out. I used the following data for the Holloway Cut Advisor tool:

59% Table
60.3% Depth (calc based on avg diameter)
14.5% Crown %
43.0% Pav %
No culet

The diamond scored 1.9 - anything under 2 is where you want to be. The diamond fell within the GIA Ex cut range according to the tool, but outside the AGS ideal range. Have you used this tool? It's pretty helpful for narrowing stuff down preliminarily. It's under "Tools" in the main toolbar near the top of the window.

Then I ran a search from the Homepage and came up with the following virtual diamond that is a close preliminary match to your stone (although not exact): 1.73 H VS2 59.6% Depth, 60% Table VG/VG Abazias was the cheapest on the stone, but the range was $11,881 to $13,102.

So it sounds like the cut on your stone might be decent and the price is about right, give or take. Hope this helps.

mindscape9

Rough_Rock
Starry,

Thanks so much! I have seen a couple other diamonds with GIA certs, etc online that are in the same range and everything, but there a few things about this stone that I like. One, I went to see it today and looked at it under office light, natural sunlight, and jewelry store light and it looked magnificent. In the sunlight, it faced up bright white, and looked like a snow flake, in the jewelry store light, it had colors bouncing everywhere, and in the office light, it looked... well.. less spectacular than in the other lights, but I can live with that.
2.gif

Two, the inclusion on this stone is on the very edge (a small feather and a carbon deposit) and can be covered by a prong. Other than that, I couldn''t see hardly any other inclusions, even at 30x. This makes me feel like I am getting a VVS2 for a VS2 price. I may be mistaken about this, but it''s just what I feel like.

My only hesitation is that I wonder if I should be worried about the HRD cert, but it seems like they are well respected, just a little less known in the US. In any case, I really appreciate everyone''s help!

Thanks,
Mind

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 8:00:30 PM
Author: mindscape9
Starry,

Thanks so much! I have seen a couple other diamonds with GIA certs, etc online that are in the same range and everything, but there a few things about this stone that I like. One, I went to see it today and looked at it under office light, natural sunlight, and jewelry store light and it looked magnificent. In the sunlight, it faced up bright white, and looked like a snow flake, in the jewelry store light, it had colors bouncing everywhere, and in the office light, it looked... well.. less spectacular than in the other lights, but I can live with that.
2.gif

Two, the inclusion on this stone is on the very edge (a small feather and a carbon deposit) and can be covered by a prong. Other than that, I couldn''t see hardly any other inclusions, even at 30x. This makes me feel like I am getting a VVS2 for a VS2 price. I may be mistaken about this, but it''s just what I feel like.

My only hesitation is that I wonder if I should be worried about the HRD cert, but it seems like they are well respected, just a little less known in the US. In any case, I really appreciate everyone''s help!

Thanks,
Mind
No worries at all. They are a reputable lab, and I''ve heard them compared favorably with the GIA and AGS. They are more well known in Europe I believe. The most important thing is that you have seen the diamond and love the way it performs. That''s what counts.

shay

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto Shay with the HRD report! Also if having a true H&A diamond matters to you, you might find this page useful to make sure that is what you are getting.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/hna.asp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results