shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with heliodor / large cushion cut gem on a budget?

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Love the depth. A ring pop look!

Decent shot of the windmills:

It does have pretty significant tilt windows, but that's normal for step cuts, correct?

So: thoughts? Bring 'em on! I like to think through every angle before making a purchase like this, so compliments and criticism alike welcome!

yellow_potato_5.jpg

yellow_potato_6.jpg

yellow_potato_7.jpg

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Beryl has a relatively low RI and low RI stones will display more of a tilt window as well as a tilt window at less of an angle from stones with a higher RI.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a problem...
You can solve it be sending it back and ask Gary to reserve it for Acinom :naughty:

I love this stone :love: :love: :love: The cut is amazing. And personally I love the soft colors of the stone. And the size. Who cares about tilt windows!!

It very wise of you to think it through well and ask for different views from PSers. This amazing stone will hopefully make you forget the first stone you saw. If you are after a bright color, this stone might not be it though. But I must say the color looks really really beautiful on your hand.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tilt windows are always prevalent in stones with low RI's such a beryl, no matter the cut.

My opinion is that it reminds me of a golden yellow citrine. If you love it, then keep it, as the price is fair, and the color is subjective to one's taste.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, ElleW and TL, that makes sense about the tilt windows. And TL, thanks for the reassurance that it's a decent buy if I like the color.

Acinom, in the unlikely event that I do send it back, I'll be sure to say it's for you. :lol: I'm not after a bright color, per se, just a large square CS. The reason I'm comparing it to the stone I saw at the jeweler's is because that's the only other heliodor I've seen IRL, and that stone did catch my eye, obviously! But the brightness of that stone is just a very different feel than the 3D effect of the step cut. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but the asscher cut draws my eye in. It's mesmerizing. :bigsmile: So basically, I find it equally beautiful, in a very different way. And I don't have an asscher cut stone, and I've always loved them on PS. :lickout:

Still open to thoughts/comments/critiques! :D

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a lovely stone. Even lovelier are your photos - excellent shots!

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
Looks great! I like the more subtle yellow color a lot.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I assume and hope you decided to keep it? How will you set this beauty?

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Acinom: Yes, I'm keeping it! I love it more each day, and I can't wait to get it set. It's going to be a RHR, on the simple side. I think I'll start a thread for advice when I'm next at my computer--and I'd love your thoughts! :bigsmile:

Thanks, tourma-guy, I agree, I love the subtle color. My six-year-old said that he loved it because it is his favorite color, gold. :)) And I think the soft color is perfect for such a lovely step cut.

Thanks, minousbijoux! I'm still a novice at taking gem/jewelry photos, but getting better...

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful sunny golden stone! It reminds me of this one from Doug Menadue, who has also cut several beautiful golden beryl in the past

uploadfromtaptalk1429514979971.png

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all,

I know this is a very old thread. Just would like some input on this stone I’m considering. Love the OP’s stone. Would love to see how it’s set. Here the video the seller sent. He said it’s from Brazil and potentially irradiated but feels that it may not even be treated or it may be a stable/ permanent non-detectable treatment. I believe he’s had the stone for quite some time now but not listed on his website. Thank you!!
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/a9/09/F2A01A22-2BC0-4A96-9F3B-E8EA40A4A985/6df020fb67f24e6aa84798dc87257f98.MOV

Last edited:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t seem to upload the video so I just captured a screenshot of the video he sent me and an old photo of it on his IG.

F99476CE-08EF-4688-8218-F2F3D932C37C.jpeg

Attachments

• 2E11B2CB-50F8-4E28-BF88-AA91A96B7338.jpeg
    2E11B2CB-50F8-4E28-BF88-AA91A96B7338.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 5

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dmndsr4evr11 Please start a new thread so everyone will find it easily. I know we all love to see bling and help if we can. I worry your question will be lost / buried in the OP's thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results