shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with heliodor / large cushion cut gem on a budget?

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
I recently posted about my local jeweler's easter egg gem giveaway. I was in the shop today checking out some stuller settings, and saw a beautiful gem in the case. I asked to see it, and learned it was a "yellow beryl," precision cut (not sure by whom) in a starburst type design. Square cushion, about 9.8mm, just over 4 cts. Nice yummy tall profile. But the price was $1640. After doing a bit of searching on PS, I've learned that these stones are also called golden beryl and heliodor, and that they do not typically sell for $400/ct! But I immediately fell in love with this stone! So beautiful, bright yellow, a slice of sunshine. :love:

After this experience, I have two questions:

1. Am I wrong? Is $400/ct insane for heliodor? Obviously I know prices at the B&M shop are going to be higher, but that seems orders of magnitude higher than I might expect based on my online searches. Then again, the stone was well cut, well saturated (very deep), and TDF gorgeous! Unfortunately, I'm not sure about treatments; will have to ask.

2. I'd like to find a large colored stone (minimum 8.5mm to about 11mm), cushion or asscher cut, with a "ring pop" profile, to set in an occasional use RHR. When I saw this heliodor, I thought it might just fit the bill, but not if it's way overpriced. Budget is up to $1500, but I'd rather keep it under $1000; the lower the better.

Any brilliant suggestions? I know my choice of stones is limited by the fact that it's going into a ring. I love all sorts of colors, but for this project I'd like to avoid true oranges, greenish yellow/yellowish green, and pink.

TIA!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think $400/carat for yellow beryl is really high - I even checked John Dyer and Richard Homer as they are two of the more expensive precision-cutters; Richard doesn't have yellow beryl listed in his current inventory, and John Dyer's ran roughly apx $175-225/carat.
https://www.johndyergems.com/catalog_pages/gemstone-stone-Beryl1.html

Per JCK, per carat range for yellow beryl is $40-$55/carat for stones between 5-10 carats. For specialty cuts, it is priced per artistry of the lapidary. http://www.jckonline.com/article/290139-Yellow_Beryl.php

Maybe your B&M store is selling a specialty-cut stone and added on its own 50% mark-up? For that price, I'd want to know who the lapidary is before I made up my mind about whether to purchase or not. But if the cut is excellent, and the color is outrageously great, and it has a high crown... well, it isn't always easy to find all of these things in one stone.

FWIW, I do have two yellow beryls which I adore, both from AC Stones - they are occasional-wear rings and have held up very well with no eye-visible damage (both are bezel-set). For help in pricing, the 7+ carat step-cut was apx $50/carat in 2010; and the 1.25ct Barry-cut round was $100/carat in 2012.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, marymm, that's really helpful. The crown of this stone is interesting--no table per se, but rather facets that meet at the top in a point. It's really pretty, but perhaps more prone to breakage and wear. I'm not super concerned about that, though, since I'm planning to baby this ring in any case. I plan to find out about treatments, and who the lapidary is, and if I'm still interested, to challenge them on the price.

In the meantime, looking for other options! :D

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecoDaze|1428442325|3858170 said:
I recently posted about my local jeweler's easter egg gem giveaway. I was in the shop today checking out some stuller settings, and saw a beautiful gem in the case. I asked to see it, and learned it was a "yellow beryl," precision cut (not sure by whom) in a starburst type design. Square cushion, about 9.8mm, just over 4 cts. Nice yummy tall profile. But the price was $1640. After doing a bit of searching on PS, I've learned that these stones are also called golden beryl and heliodor, and that they do not typically sell for $400/ct! But I immediately fell in love with this stone! So beautiful, bright yellow, a slice of sunshine. :love:

After this experience, I have two questions:

1. Am I wrong? Is $400/ct insane for heliodor? Obviously I know prices at the B&M shop are going to be higher, but that seems orders of magnitude higher than I might expect based on my online searches. Then again, the stone was well cut, well saturated (very deep), and TDF gorgeous! Unfortunately, I'm not sure about treatments; will have to ask.

2. I'd like to find a large colored stone (minimum 8.5mm to about 11mm), cushion or asscher cut, with a "ring pop" profile, to set in an occasional use RHR. When I saw this heliodor, I thought it might just fit the bill, but not if it's way overpriced. Budget is up to $1500, but I'd rather keep it under $1000; the lower the better.

Any brilliant suggestions? I know my choice of stones is limited by the fact that it's going into a ring. I love all sorts of colors, but for this project I'd like to avoid true oranges, greenish yellow/yellowish green, and pink.

TIA!

Be careful with heliodor, especially bright yellows, as they can be irradiated, and the treatment is non-detectable. It can fade with time I believe.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Uli offers two larger ( 16 ct+) heliodor from Volodarsk Ukraine - think the price is around 110 pct and 1800 +/- per piece.

He told me he got the rough from a mineral collector and the crystal was chipped - otherwise they wouldn't cut it.

Volodarsk is a famous locality for heliodor ( yellow beryl with a hint of green)

http://www.osirisgems.com/gems1.html

Scroll a bit down....

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paraiba International has a few. For example this one for $ 1,015:
Product ID: 1450
Weight (cts): 8.15 Ct.
Dimensions (L x W x D) (mm): 15.00 x 12.30 x 8.40
Shape: Oval
Color: Intense Yellow
Clarity: IF
Treatment(s): Heat
Origin: Brazil
Hardness: 7.5

_28723.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Acinom|1428480192|3858421 said:
Paraiba International has a few. For example this one for $ 1,015:
Product ID: 1450
Weight (cts): 8.15 Ct.
Dimensions (L x W x D) (mm): 15.00 x 12.30 x 8.40
Shape: Oval
Color: Intense Yellow
Clarity: IF
Treatment(s): Heat
Origin: Brazil
Hardness: 7.5

That is lovely, but I wouldn't buy it because of the possibility of irradiation. I'm not saying the vendor is dishonest but maybe their sources are.

If they've had it for a long time and the colour remained stable, does that mean its probably not irradiated?

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
LoversKites|1428490180|3858466 said:
If they've had it for a long time and the colour remained stable, does that mean its probably not irradiated?

To my knowledge, the color resulting from irradiation (or irradiation + heat) of heliodor and morganite is stable. On the other hand, the "maxixe-type" blue isn't and fades.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dioptase|1428490445|3858471 said:
LoversKites|1428490180|3858466 said:

To my knowledge, the color resulting from irradiation (or irradiation + heat) of heliodor and morganite is stable. On the other hand, the "maxixe-type" blue isn't and fades.

I heard morganite can fade too, but I could be wrong. I don't recall where I heard it. I have to research it. Thanks.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a cushion or an Asscher, but it's a beautiful yelllow...

Description on the Precision Gem site:
2.98 ct. - A very pretty yellow Danburite from Tanzania.
I cut this in a long oval that measures 10.69 x 7.16 mm.
Very good crystal with one slight eye visible inclusion.
Strong rich color for danburite, most commonly they are
much lighter.

_28743.jpg

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
Acinom, that's a great find! I love danburite. :)

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input, everyone. And I love those stones, Acinom! I didn't know about Paraiba International before. This site is always so educational; I've learned a lot about beryl in the last week. I do love the stone at my local jeweler's, but I've decided I'm not willing to pay anything near $1640 for it, so probably it's a no go. But I'll update if I find out more about the stone itself, or, of course, if I bargain them down a LOT. :lol:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecoDaze|1428637773|3859652 said:
Thanks for the input, everyone. And I love those stones, Acinom! I didn't know about Paraiba International before. This site is always so educational; I've learned a lot about beryl in the last week. I do love the stone at my local jeweler's, but I've decided I'm not willing to pay anything near $1640 for it, so probably it's a no go. But I'll update if I find out more about the stone itself, or, of course, if I bargain them down a LOT. :lol:

If you are willing to buy online, you could also contact Jeff White and ask him whether he has Heliodor rough.
These are stones he has cut (and sold) in the past:

It would also be great if you could bargain down the price of the Heliodor you have seen at your local jeweler. But indeed make sure they give you a MAJOR discount as the current price is too high.

_28880.jpg

_28881.jpg

_28882.jpg

_28883.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My local store has a small collection of CS too, but like yours, are overpriced so when they had a clearance to reduce inventory during their store relocation to a bigger and better place, I snapped up a precision cut pink spinel for 50% off, which is more in line with what I can get online.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Acinom, those stones are gorgeous--I drool over Jeff White's stuff and would love to have something custom cut. No problem at all buying online. But doesn't custom cutting come with a big premium?

Chrono, lucky you! I'll have to keep my eyes open for inventory reduction sales here. The shop prices are just outrageous compared to what I see online.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecoDaze|1428696787|3860034 said:
Acinom, those stones are gorgeous--I drool over Jeff White's stuff and would love to have something custom cut. No problem at all buying online. But doesn't custom cutting come with a big premium?

Chrono, lucky you! I'll have to keep my eyes open for inventory reduction sales here. The shop prices are just outrageous compared to what I see online.

Jeff White will cut a yellow zircon for me and I am surprised by the price... in a good way. The price also depends on the type of stone and the carat weight. It nevers hurts to ask Jeff.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
So when I saw the Finewater Gems new stones, I thought that Gary's new golden beryl might be just what I was looking for! Still expensive, at $180/ct, but not completely outrageous like my local jeweler's beryl. I love the look of it online, and am crossing my fingers that it will be the one for me! It should arrive on Thursday. :D

I'd also appreciate opinions from you CS experts...

5.28ct golden beryl; 10.5x10.5x8.2, VVS clarity
ETA: Gary says it's untreated.

His photo:

Link to his listing: http://www.finewatergems.com/new-gemstones.html

yellow_potato.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecoDaze|1429073852|3862062 said:
So when I saw the Finewater Gems new stones, I thought that Gary's new golden beryl might be just what I was looking for! Still expensive, at $180/ct, but not completely outrageous like my local jeweler's beryl. I love the look of it online, and am crossing my fingers that it will be the one for me! It should arrive on Thursday. :D

I'd also appreciate opinions from you CS experts...

5.28ct golden beryl; 10.5x10.5x8.2, VVS clarity
ETA: Gary says it's untreated.

His photo:

Link to his listing: http://www.finewatergems.com/new-gemstones.html

It's gorgeous!!! I love the soft colour and the fabulous cut :love: :love: :love:
I admired this on Gary's site and lusted over it. But it was already sold. I am sooo glad you have it. I hope it will be as gorgeous in person.
Please come back to share your pics of the stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only if you love the colour. It does not look bright sunshine yellow on my monitor. It looks more light brown (champagne-like) to me than yellow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the photo it looks washed out and very brown, but more of a golden yellow in the video. :confused:
It might be a color shift, indoor vs outdoor lighting, so check that shift out when you get it.

Gary has an excellent reputation and return policy, whatever you decide.

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
I saw that beryl on his website last night and was wondering who purchased it. Glad its going to a good home!

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, all!

Acinom: It makes me happy that you liked the stone online. Your collection is amazing! :D

Chrono and TL: I agree about the color on the monitor. Definitely more brown in the stills and yellow in the video. His description says that it's "golden" indoors and "lemony" outside. I will definitely watch for the color shift. I think the only thing to do, as you advise, is see it myself!

Tourma-guy: thanks! I hope I give it a permanent home. ;-)

I'll be back with photos tomorrow or Friday!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Let us know what it looks like in person.

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh!!! Missed delivery by 10 minutes! Now have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up. Boo. ;(

And I'm available 98% of today, too...

The things we put up with in pursuit of sparkles! :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecoDaze|1429216242|3863126 said:
Ahhh!!! Missed delivery by 10 minutes! Now have to wait until tomorrow to pick it up. Boo. ;(

I HATE when that happens, especially when I'm home that particular day. :(( Good luck, let us know what you think when you get it.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DecoDaze|1429216242|3863126 said:

Oh noooo! Hopefully it will be tomorrow soon in your part of the world 8-)
Looking forward seeing your pics.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any luck today? Do you have the stone?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sit right by your front door! (Actually, that's not necessarily a guarantee, as I have had my postal carrier, too busy talking on her phone to knock, just leave the "Sorry We Missed You!" slip on the door as I was sitting on the couch in the living room, visible to her through the window...)

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
That same thing actually happened to me when my new sapphire was being delivered. It was delivered to my office, which is a house, and has a receptionist present at all times. When the mail was delivered, the post person just included a "Sorry we missed you" notice right in with the mail and we didn't notice until she left. I called Canada Post and complained like crazy, and someone actually listened. They opened up their sorting facility for me after hours to go and pick it up!

DecoDaze

Shiny_Rock
I love that folks are waiting right along with me! :D (And also that I'm not the only one to suffer at the hands of the postal service. :lol: )

So I declined redelivery and picked it up myself this morning. I've had it for about an hour now. It is gorgeous! The color is definitely not as saturated as the stone I saw at my local jeweler's--though that is not really fair, because that cut was more likely to concentrate color, I think; the jeweler called it a "starburst"--but the color is a beautiful soft golden yellow. And the cut is divine!

First attempts at photographing it follow, with this caveat: I didn't want to scratch it with a gem holder, so I've been just handling it with my fingers. There are a few needle inclusions to one side (that are visible in Gary's photos as well), but all the other blemishes on the stone are of my own making. It has amazing clarity, actually.

ETA: I think the color I see on my monitor is pretty accurate, though of course the stone is more lively IRL.

Outside, shade, picking up the green in the grass:

A moment of brightness:

Oooh:

yellow_potato_1.jpg

yellow_potato_2.jpg

yellow_potato_3.jpg

yellow_potato_4.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results