shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with HCA and Cut

youngdiamond

Rough_Rock
I hope someone can help me understand better. How can a round brilliant diamond HCA score be between 0-1, but then be a GIA Very good cut and AGS 0 (ideal)?

TIA

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure it's theoretically possible for a stone to be GIA VG and AGS 0, though I've never seen it (but that doesn't mean much as I am not a vendor). However, I imagine it would be rare since GIA is much more lax on cut than AGS.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The GIA system hates shallow pavilions, AGSL tolerates them to a degree and the HCA likes them.
So ags0 and gia vg and hca under 2 is very possible.
Also possible is agsl 1 and gia vg and hca under 2 for the same reason.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Each system also gives different consideration to painting and digging. GIA is the most strict followed by AGSL and the HCA does not take it directly into account.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
While we are waiting for reports the particulars of the girdle other than painting digging can also cause a gia vg/agsl0 split at times.

youngdiamond

Rough_Rock
Each system also gives different consideration to painting and digging. GIA is the most strict followed by AGSL and the HCA does not take it directly into account.

Thank you, does it mean that a diamond could still look nice even if to GIA standards its a very good cut, AGS 0 and the HCA score is 0.7?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you, does it mean that a diamond could still look nice even if to GIA standards its a very good cut, AGS 0 and the HCA score is 0.7?
In general yes it could but there is not enough info to say where one particular one falls.

youngdiamond

Rough_Rock
Its the 40.5 pavilion which if you have super up close vision might be an issue but for someone with glasses its not.

What would someone with close vision see with such a nice pavilion?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

youngdiamond

Rough_Rock
A bit more darkness than some combos.

edit.. when viewed close only.

Thank you, that means its not a good performing diamond? Your answers have been rlly helpful!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It will take pictures to tell more.
The combo if reasonably well executed can work for many people.

youngdiamond

Rough_Rock
It will take pictures to tell more.
The combo if reasonably well executed can work for many people.

Understood, im seeing the stone tomorrow and will take videos - I'll post it on the lab forum. Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results